TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit's review video censered for panning game

They've already issued a retraction. From their facebook page:

Official Statement regarding the YouTube video “WTF Is... : Day One: Garry's Incident ?” from TotalBiscuit

We sent TotalBiscuit a Steam key on September 26th, giving him permission to evaluate Day One: Garry’s Incident.

Monetizing wasn’t mentioned in our communications and it was an error on our part to not have clarified the issue.

It was for that particular fact that Wild Games Studio had asked the video’s removal.

After the video was made unavailable, we have taken seriously the reaction from the community concerning freedom of expression.

We strongly believe in the freedom of expression of people and medias and have removed our copyright claim.

Wild Games Studio didn’t intend on preventing anyone from using their right to freedom of expression.

For this reason, Wild Games Studio sincerely apologizes to TotalBiscuit and anyone who felt that their freedom of speech was denied.

right im not buying that at all
TB posted the email he sent then
they KNEW what he was going to do its there fault they didnt do more then blindly send a key

Well, they didn't dig in or call their critics slurs. So I guess they're at least one rung above Sergey Titov on the crappy dev ladder.

You're right. Random people shouldn't be allowed to upload anything they want without first proving they own it.

A police cruiser on every overpass, a helicopter in every vista, a camera on every street corner...I like the way you think.

Their "response" is a bunch of bullshit. I hope they go down for this shit.

So they just won't let that monetizing bullshit go, huh?

That apology will do nothing to appease anyone - TB's ENTIRE VIDEO is about how that reason is bull. Were that truly the case, as he mentioned, they would have removed ALL forms of videos with it, instantly. Not weeks later.

yep, total bull. he even said that he was evaluating as part of a series of game reviews and linked them to examples. watch even one of them and they would have seen ads. did they think he was reviewing it so he could have a conversation about it over dinner with a handful of his closest friends? clearly if you're going to give out a free copy of your game, you can take 5 minutes to see who you're giving it to...

That's what I don't get about some game companies and "monetizing"

How is it ANY different then oh....ANY other legit review thing? You think magazines like PC gamer, EGM, OXM, etc or gaming websites like IGN/Gamespot don't make money by advertising right there with their own reveiws/video/trailers/screenshots? Because they all do.

How is people making reviews on youtube any different and why on earth should it not be treated the same?

I'd never heard of this game, but without even seeing the video (which I probably wouldn't have been aware of otherwise), I now know it sucks thanks entirely to the DMCA take down. Good job, Wild Games!

Don't worry, you're not missing anything...the game was buggy as all hell, ran like shit on a Titan and the AI was completely braindead. Not to mention the game itself was just running around a jungle trying to find stuff with what appeared to be barely any combat.

They've already issued a retraction. From their facebook page:

Lol they clearly were fine with monetizing the video for review but in the case of TB they hated his review enough to attempt to censor it , I mean TB even has an orgy of proof that he was going to monetize it.

I think Wild had zero choice once people started bashing them on metacritic.

This developer is Damn shady , funding it's own Kickstarter is another touchstone in this weird act.

Wait, are people getting banned on Steam forums just for posting Youtube videos and merely expressing their opinion? Do the devs have that kind of power or is there some ban-moderator around? I am not part of the Steam forums so I do not know how things go around there, but that should cause quite a shitstorm aswell if people were banned left and right for petty reasons.

Only from the discussion page of that particular game, but yes. Remember The War Z? Same shit happened on the Steam discussion group for that, and even worse was happening on the official forums. But people have short memories, and have forgotten about it. They were also forced to change the name of the game as well due to copyrights on the name, also another opportunity for obfuscation.

Only from the discussion page of that particular game, but yes. Remember The War Z? Same shit happened on the Steam discussion group for that, and even worse was happening on the official forums. But people have short memories, and have forgotten about it. They were also forced to change the name of the game as well due to copyrights on the name, also another opportunity for obfuscation.

That whole game release was mired in its own fresh hot bullshit. The draft letter to the community in response to the critical reception of that entirely awful game was absolutely hysterical.

But what isn't funny is that now Youtube gives copyright owners the ability to , with only 3 take downs , destroy someone's ability to generate income. This wasn't some third rate caster clearly not giving a shit about the professional end of the business as a Youtuber casting , this was a completely legit and sizable channel with tons of subs and someone who is respected among the gaming community for his brutal honesty and generally professional reviews. I mean having 1.2 Million subs is quite a bit of income to lose from only 3 copyright removals.

Youtube needs to have a much more open policy and not have it be so incredibly strict. This entire event at least proved that Youtube needs to create a new kind of system that doesn't allow censorship due to critical reception. Its insane that you would spend 10 hours editing and putting up content only have it refused by Youtube because of an automated DMCA response then have to spend hours more editing out and re-cutting already finished videos.

If I was TB I would honestly consider moving to my own website/platform (perhaps Twitch) at this point if Youtube doesn't get with reality since he has so much to lose in terms of income. The last thing we need is more censorship at the push of a button.

Well, they didn't dig in or call their critics slurs. So I guess they're at least one rung above Sergey Titov on the crappy dev ladder.

LOL. Good 'ol Sergey Titov. Still out there somewhere. He can change the name of WarZ as many times as he wants to try to escape the terrible reputation he created, still a fake game, still a scumbag.

Lol, I thought TB just made his money on Youtube. Didn't know he had an actual job, and a really good one at that.

I think his main job is on Youtube, but he also casts various e-sports tournaments from time to time. He has a degree in law (that doesn't make him a lawyer :p), so he's knowledgeable about what to do and not do, legally speaking.

Their "response" is a bunch of bullshit. I hope they go down for this shit.
They're already 'down' judging from the quality of this game. It's the marrying of 1998 mechanics to 2009 graphics with a 2001 frame rate.

That said, they actually put together a pretty nice-looking menu system for it. I'd argue that the guy who put that together has potential.

he has a twitch channel

Right but its not his monetized main channel and more a curiosity at best right now.

I'm talking about moving to Twitch to do live reviews (since Twitch stores everything you stream nearly for watching later) if he feels that he'll get a copyright notice from a publisher who isn't quite trust worthy this not risking his main channel of revenue and ultimately his job.

He'll have to keep his Youtube presence active regardless if he likes it or not. People do not like being directed to another site , it never works out when you need to bring along vast numbers of users (in TB's case 1.2 Million). But then again he has a huge following and industry respect so he might be able to make a move and still retain a decent revenue stream.

But again by streaming on Twitch he could avoid the currently terrible DRM system Youtube has put in place that allows copyright holders to effectively ban anyone (and not a traditional ban in the Internet sense but in the MMO sense in that YOU'LL NEVER be able to use that account again) that doesn't present their product in that glowing bullshit PR light. I mean if you watched his video , Nintendo rejected his podcast upload because he had one 2 minute trailer in the podcast that was talking ABOUT Pokemon and how great and addictive it is and how they (except for Dodger) will always love Pokemon. Imagine if you invent something and in an effort to get it out to the public in the form of PR then someone with a large following offers to talk about your product and how much fun they are having right now playing it and you say "No thanks , I don't want you to even show a screenshot , talk all you want about it but free PR isn't something we get here." and you'll have an idea of what copyright holders like Nintendo are doing.

If this issue starts to grow larger (and all signs point to yes on that..) then it'll seep into other genre's of videos on Youtube. You'll have Kanye West's Studio pulling your funny ha-ha video because you merely mentioned his name without his studio's express and given consent. You'll have lawsuits being filed because someone linked something in their video dump to a place that didn't give its express and given consent to be directed to. The kind of atmosphere of abuse this could roll into could end up actually killing off one of the best aspects of Youtube and ultimately Youtube itself. Youtube is dying for original content but time after time they create weird rules and commit policies that strike against the original content providers. You can't be both the cop and the robber forever...

Last edited:
it'll seep...You'll have Kanye West's Studio pulling your funny ha-ha video because you merely mentioned his name without his studio's express and given consent. You'll have lawsuits being filed because someone linked something in their video dump to a place that didn't give its express and given consent to be directed to. The kind of atmosphere of abuse this could roll into could end up actually killing...

plaintiff- I would bring to your honor's attention exhibit A, a photograph clearly showing the defendant wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket. It is well established that this style of garb is parcel to CBS-Paramount's Fonzi (tm) media property.

judge- And the defendant does not posses a Fonzi (tm) license?

plaintiff- No your honor.

judge- I can't really see for sure, is it possible this is a bomber style jacket?

plaintiff- No your honor, please examine exhibits B and C. The absence of any insulation or insignia clearly place this jacket within CBS-Paramount's intellectual property. The bomber style jacket is parcel to Disney's James Dean (tm) property.

judge- Well, it looks pretty clear cut to me...when are these dirty identity pirates going to learn? I find in favor of the plaintiff. [smacks gavel] What to we have next?

bailiff- Time-Warner vs. the rock band “ghost of Dick Vaughn” for unlicensed use of the flat fifth in their song “requiem for liberty”.

judge- We ought to be able to clear this before lunch, bring them in.

Back