TotalBiscuit Takes On The Watch Dogs PC Controversy

So what? It's a bonus for playing PC...finding things like this.

Kind of a backhanded bonus, though...

TB is/was basically right, though: it's either malice or stupidity that led to this, and until somebody in the loop actually pops up and dishes on it we're in the dark.

One of the problems is that this game even has a last gen port. Those platforms get most of the attention and they also end up with a game that is not going to run well on PC because it is a last gen console game. Any PC game that has a port for 360/PS3 will be the same old story. PC ports won't get any better till true next gen games come out, games that were developed solely for the Xbox1/PS4.

If you pre ordered this game without waiting for reviews you deserve what you got.

If Ubi thought PC would cannibalize their platform versions... pretty silly. While PC usage is growing I am sure it is still very small.

Testing processes are pretty involved it wouldn't surprise me if they intended to test additional options but just didn't have time. Not to mention UI/design work to set options or settings, while not a lot of work it still is work.

Still saying that even with an additional 6 mo of dev and supposedly being the lead platform it doesn't look to good for the devs or ubi.

He does have a "speaking voice" that he forces for his vids, so the one you hear on the vids isn't the way he talks in real life. Although, it may have slowly crept into his real life voice over the years that he's been using it.

His original speaking voice: http://youtu.be/yFIW0EXGLfc?t=5m53s

Kind of a backhanded bonus, though...

TB is/was basically right, though: it's either malice or stupidity that led to this, and until somebody in the loop actually pops up and dishes on it we're in the dark.

The stupidity part doesn't fly with me though. They had this stuff enabled at E3. It's supposedly tagged as "E3" in the code. To me, that points to a show-demo "hype" version and what they planned on shipping with.

I wouldn't be doubtful if we don't see similar things with The Division and AC:Unity. Those massive crowds? Probably be cut in half.

Having enabled the mod on my WD. I can say that there's no noticeable framerate hit (didn't check the actual FPS, just off what I perceive while playing) and it looks so much better. The explosions alone are awesome. They really messed up here.

Having enabled the mod on my WD. I can say that there's no noticeable framerate hit (didn't check the actual FPS, just off what I perceive while playing) and it looks so much better. The explosions alone are awesome. They really messed up here.

Also worth noting that I don't suffer from the stutter / lag that others get. I'm playing with a 290 4Gb on the new (Theworsemod) ultra preset. As TB mentioned, the game is a VRAM hog and he has stutter - he also has 3Gb of VRAM. So I'm curious if there's something to that (memory leak?).

He does have a "speaking voice" that he forces for his vids, so the one you hear on the vids isn't the way he talks in real life. Although, it may have slowly crept into his real life voice over the years that he's been using it.

Actually, he does not force anything; that is his real voice at this present time. TB has explained in a AMA that he has picked up on local accents over time from moving and living here and there, influencing his own over time. It is a relatively natural phenomenon.

Actually, he does not force anything; that is his real voice at this present time. TB has explained in a AMA that he has picked up on local accents over time from moving and living here and there, influencing his own over time. It is a relatively natural phenomenon.

I experience the same problem. If I spend more than an hour or two talking with someone who has a strong accent, I start thinking and talking in their accent without even realizing it.

Also the audio equipment he's using there isn't really up to snuff, very tinny. Also he would have been a good bit younger (Battlegrounds in Warcraft launched what... 9 years ago?).

Honestly most of that seems to be due to different microphones/distances. Doesn't sound that much different. I actually enjoy his videos, Megalith just tries to troll with his insulting nature.

Adopting someone elses accent in short order (say 30 minutes into a conversation) is a certifiable personality defect.

Picking up someone else's accent is normal. Having it integrated to your own over time is equally normal; I myself have unconsciously changed my accent from living across Europe and the U.S.

I do not understand, what's the bonus? Being able to ungimp your game which should not have been gimped in the first place? I suppose being able to watch yourself heal is a bonus of having shot yourself in the foot.

Honestly most of that seems to be due to different microphones/distances. Doesn't sound that much different. I actually enjoy his videos, Megalith just tries to troll with his insulting nature.

Wish I could find the podcasts/vids (hard since there's thousands and it was many years ago) where he mentions the work he does with his voice. Not saying it's a lot, or that his voice hasn't naturally changed over time, just that he does put a certain "edge" into his voice for production and some people may pick up on this. If he still did Q&A vids I'd send in a question :p

idk man, i tried this mod and it does not work for me, I notice zero difference in visuals or smoothness.

LOL @ "powered by nothing but Mountain Dew and Paypal Donations"

I wonder if Ubisoft will bother to respond. Which path will they take--incompetence or malice?

All I can say is if PC easily destroys our current "next gen" consoles in smoothness and fps then MS and Sony DID IT WRONG.
There's no reason to screw us PC people just to make the newest consoles look good in comparison.

I was thinking that maybe they did indeed tune down PC graphics because of the new consoles. Not because they were paid off by Microsoft or Sony, but because they feared the backlash of console gamers if they saw that the PC version looks that much better while being told at the same time these shiny new all powerful consoles still can't keep up.

So it was neither malice nor stupidity, it was simply damage prevention.

Here's the first brain surgeon of the thread ladies and gentlemen.

Isn't it usually a Megalith thing to make an angry comment about the quality of the article, the author's face/name/gender, or something else without addressing the actual content of the message? That seems like sorta his trademarked thingey to do.

LOL @ "powered by nothing but Mountain Dew and Paypal Donations"

I wonder if Ubisoft will bother to respond. Which path will they take--incompetence or malice?

If Ubisoft does respond, you can be the reason will involve pirates. Because we all know PC gamers are nothing but dirty stinking pirates.

So it was neither malice nor stupidity, it was simply damage prevention.
Nope. If it was damage prevention, they wouldn't have come out and said there was "no downgrade" publicly. That's causing more damage, not less.

I have to criticize TB heavily on one point however. He assumes that the company will not do something that's against their best interests in the long term. Why? What possible evidence does he have to suggest that? Large companies do things in their short term interest that hurt themselves in the long term ALL THE TIME.

Why would Ubisoft waste all that time in development, just to scrap it. Wouldn't the company just delay the release of the PC version? As far as the damage prevention comment, I would think they would have not left the old files on the game install if they actively were trying to prevent damage from something like this. I really hope we hear an official response from Ubisoft soon.

Isn't this really all about license fees?

Also perhaps DLC because they probably have proof that console owners buy more DLC.?

Either way it has to have been intentional.

Why would Ubisoft waste all that time in development, just to scrap it. Wouldn't the company just delay the release of the PC version? As far as the damage prevention comment, I would think they would have not left the old files on the game install if they actively were trying to prevent damage from something like this. I really hope we hear an official response from Ubisoft soon.

Delay the PC release? Then everyone would be bitching about the delay and regulating it to the bargin bin. See the threads on the GTA V release comming up this fall.

I am not sure what you guys are looking for here. To tweak and quality control all of the different hardware for PC takes a lot of time. They probably ran out of time and had to release the game.

If you let the developers control timeframes then EVERY pc game would wind up like Duke Nukem Forever. It take a long time to develope the AAA titles that you guys want to push the $2k+hardware. The market JUST IS NOT THERE.

A fraction of WatchDogs owners on PC will know about this bonus. Even fewer will know how to apply the mod. It should be included into WatchDogs with a future patch.

Back