"Total War: Rome II" Developers on Female Generals: "Don’t Like It? Don’t Play It"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they include the all female Amazon's with breast physics? No all female army with breast physics - No buy...

The vision of 20,000 boobs all bobbling around individually (not a set boring animation)... Tell me you wouldn't at least have to check that out.

Would you skip that section of the clothing store? Let's say you did, and bought yourself a nice jacket instead. Oops, manufacturer decided after you bought it that it's now a pink dress, in your closet it has changed to a pink dress, you can't get a refund and when you question it you're told to just not wear it or go take it to someone to sew back into a jacket.
Don't buy the DLC that has all the female leaders in it?

I truly don't understand why anyone gives a shit about this. Don't you all have better stuff to worry about then genders of generals in a video game?

I work for a living. So yes, for the handful of time I have each day to sit back and enjoy a video game, I do like for the genders of generals in my video games to be correct. I prefer some level of accuracy in things, particularly video games which are made to represent an era in history.

This is not a pink dress, but a part of a series. And more importantly not a clothing store. And even if it was, you don't tell your customer don't like it don't buy it, if you want to remain in business for long. At the very least if you have no intention of catering to some needs, you explain it respectfully, so they may buy something else from you later. This is not that hard even for someone who never worked in commerce.
I would expect my customers to know what they want. If they want an all male strategy game then they will purchase a game that features all male characters. If they want historical leaders then they will purchase one that has male and female country leaders. It isn't hard to figure out what is inside of the games due to the invention of Let's Plays and Twitch. People use these tools to shop all the time.

If a company surprised me with a change that I felt was unwarranted, I would leave a single message on their boards voicing my displeasure in a constructive way. If they listened then I may respond again with a thank you. If they tell me to pound sand then I will take my next dollars elsewhere.

I'm not the type to hound a company and literally beg and grovel for a change to a video game. That just isn't me. There's entirely too many other strategy games on Steam for me to care.

I don't really care about the female generals thing, I just find it very very odd that they would do this to an old game and create controversy where none existed.

What I would like to know is if this game is actually worth playing now. I bought it when new and couldn't get over how ugly it was with no AA options when the previous game, Shogun 2, had beautiful graphics.

I would expect my customers to know what they want. If they want an all male strategy game then they will purchase a game that features all male characters. If they want historical leaders then they will purchase one that has male and female country leaders. It isn't hard to figure out what is inside of the games due to the invention of Let's Plays and Twitch. People use these tools to shop all the time.

If a company surprised me with a change that I felt was unwarranted, I would leave a single message on their boards voicing my displeasure in a constructive way. If they listened then I may respond again with a thank you. If they tell me to pound sand then I will take my next dollars elsewhere.

I'm not the type to hound a company and literally beg and grovel for a change to a video game. That just isn't me. There's entirely too many other strategy games on Steam for me to care.

You do realize this change is retro active, and not just dlc right? You are stuck with whatever changes they made, with any new campaign you start, dlc or vanilla.

Im not saying that just adding boobs ruins the game, but what "your" customers were upset that you added tanks or dragons to the game, because your friends liked them?

Why did they invest in resources to add female generals to a 5 year old game and not use those resources for the next Total War? Which you know, could have female generals from the start?

Don't buy the DLC that has all the female leaders in it?
It's not a DLC to buy, it was a patch added to the game by the developers.

The paid and OPTIONAL DLC was the Daughters of Mars add-on that no one seriously complained about except for the likely couple of random trolls.

You obviously never worked in commerce I guess about 45% of customers have no idea what they want, and 45% of them are dead wrong about what they want. So you'd only cater to the 10% of them who are actually well informed? As I said that's not a good recipe for staying in business. You can't tell problem customers to fuck off period. Or if you do, then we know you're not in it to make money but to make a statement.

BTW You don't care enough about games to complain about them, but you care enough about people complaining to complain about that?

I work for a living. So yes, for the handful of time I have each day to sit back and enjoy a video game, I do like for the genders of generals in my video games to be correct. I prefer some level of accuracy in things, particularly video games which are made to represent an era in history.
What does working for a living have to do with this? You want a round of applause? Most if not all of us here have jobs. This is still a non-issue. The game plays exactly the same.

What does working for a living have to do with this? You want a round of applause? Most if not all of us here have jobs. This is still a non-issue. The game plays exactly the same.
The point is that some people give a crap about what they spend their money on, based on expectations set prior to spending it.

If someone's idea of getting home from work and spending some time playing what used to be more accurate than it currently is war game that they paid for, then so be it.

You obviously never worked in commerce I guess about 45% of customers have no idea what they want, and 45% of them are dead wrong about what they want. So you'd only cater to the 10% of them who are actually well informed? As I said that's not a good recipe for staying in business. You can't tell problem customers to fuck off period. Or if you do, then we know you're not in it to make money but to make a statement.

BTW You don't care enough about games to complain about them, but you care enough about people complaining to complain about that?
Only discussing it here because I like the readership here, debates and I love engaging with discussions that don't degenerate into Steam discussions. If I posted the same thing on the Steam discussions forum for the game I would have 12 year old kids questioning my masculinity. :)

The point is that some people give a crap about what they spend their money on, based on expectations set prior to spending it.

If someone's idea of getting home from work and spending some time playing what used to be more accurate than it currently is war game that they paid for, then so be it.
I understand this, however, the reaction by many gamers to anything involving women being in games is way overblown and over the top. Take Battlefield V for example. Look at some of the replies in this very thread, because some generals were changed to women. It's literally a cosmetic change. It does not, in any way, alter how the game plays for you.

Gaming is way too full of redpill idiots and it's an embarrassment. People throw a tantrum over everything.

No. You missed the point, and clearly missed the latter portion of my post. Please re-read my quote in its entirety, not just the portions you choose to acknowledge.

I work hard, I play hard. I don't tolerate silly Soviet-Era rewriting of history books in my video games. It is not exactly the same. Perhaps you are simply too young or too ill-informed to understand how governmental/societal censorship of historical facts can cause problems in society.

It is important, if you do not wish for certain aspects of history to repeat themselves, to acknowledge facts accurately, and not sugarcoat them for an easily offended audience. If you do sugarcoat them, you are doing a disservice to that audience and their potential offspring.

If you are of the opinion that history can be altered and forgotten, that is unfortunate.

I understand this, however, the reaction by many gamers to anything involving women being in games is way overblown and over the top. Take Battlefield V for example. Look at some of the replies in this very thread, because some generals were changed to women. It's literally a cosmetic change. It does not, in any way, alter how the game plays for you.

Gaming is way too full of redpill idiots and it's an embarrassment. People throw a tantrum over everything.

Or maybe because people want immersion in their gaming, and having women with prosthetic limbs that wouldn't exist for decades, or men running around Europe with katanas on their backs shits all over that?

No. You missed the point, and clearly missed the latter portion of my post. Please re-read my quote in its entirety, not just the portions you choose to acknowledge.

I work hard, I play hard. I don't tolerate silly Soviet-Era rewriting of history books in my video games. It is not exactly the same. Perhaps you are simply too young or too ill-informed to understand how governmental/societal censorship of historical facts can cause problems in society.

It is important, if you do not wish for certain aspects of history to repeat themselves, to acknowledge facts accurately, and not sugarcoat them for an easily offended audience. If you do sugarcoat them, you are doing a disservice to that audience and their potential offspring.

If you are of the opinion that history can be altered and forgotten, that is unfortunate.
I read the latter part of your post. It's just silly. You're talking about a video game, not history curriculum or books, and certainly not anything that is being done by the government. Put down the tinfoil and stop building hats. Rome II making a portion of their generals women isn't going to result in a collapse of the Republic.

You do realize where the term "Red Pilled" comes from and why that has significance, right?

You do realize where the term "Red Pilled" comes from and why that has significance, right?
Yes, and the original usage vs what it has turned into on the internet are very different things.

Did they include the all female Amazon's with breast physics? No all female army with breast physics - No buy...

The vision of 20,000 boobs all bobbling around individually (not a set boring animation)... Tell me you wouldn't at least have to check that out.

Sounds like the next physics benchmark idea.

"red pilled" idiots

19789999.jpg

Sorry, spend any amount of time on https://www.reddit.com/r/theredpill and it's hard not to view these people as socially inept idiots.
ummm its reddit.

The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between: Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill) Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

ummm its reddit.

The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between: Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill) Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill
I'm aware. As I said already,
Yes, and the original usage vs what it has turned into on the internet are very different things.

I read the latter part of your post. It's just silly. You're talking about a video game, not history curriculum or books, and certainly not anything that is being done by the government. Put down the tinfoil and stop building hats. Rome II making a portion of their generals women isn't going to result in a collapse of the Republic.

No. But it will encourage stupidity of the masses, and individuals who state it is acceptable to whitewash history.

I do not suffer it with my wallet.

Does CA still update this game? It was a complete mess even a year or so after release. The worst TW game I have played to date.

I'd be more outraged if they were retconning female generals into the game on the low, and not fixing the game at the same time.

only person ive seen using it incorrectly as been you. its meaning HAS NOT changed.
"Red pilling" has been associated with "men's rights" activists and various other anti-women groups on the internet for several years now. Not sure what to tell you bud. Catch up.

"Red pilling" has been associated with "men's rights" activists and various other anti-women groups on the internet for several years now. Not sure what to tell you bud. Catch up.
ie. people you don't agree with, so you just post some derogatory comments about them.

ie. people you don't agree with, so you just post some derogatory comments about them.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm tired of these people making gaming such a toxic hobby and I'm not going to humor it anymore.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm tired of these people making gaming such a toxic hobby and I'm not going to humor it anymore.
Yet in a discussion about games, you're the one being toxic.

Go figure. Can we get back to discussing the actual issue? Or are you just going to shout down everyone you disagree with in the hopes that the thread gets locked?

Yet in a discussion about games, you're the one being toxic.

Go figure. Can we get back to discussing the actual issue? Or are you just going to shout down everyone you disagree with in the hopes that the thread gets locked?
Right, let's have an intellectual discussion on how "women in my videos are ruining my immersion". Have fun.

they should just have made it an option, making it part of an update you cant avoid is a shitty move. what next updates that lock character selection to female only characters on older games.

Why are mens rights concerns anti-woman... Should men consider feminism anti-men?
I don't see the mutual exclusion personally.. there are a lot of issues with men's gender role in society that should be addressed if we are to get to a better society.

Why are mens rights concerns anti-woman... Should men consider feminism anti-men?
I don't see the mutual exclusion personally.. there are a lot of issues with men's gender role in society that should be addressed if we are to get to a better society.
It was in quotes for a reason. Hardcore men's rights activists on the internet - the ones that adopted the whole "redpill" moniker - tend to function the same way hardcore feminists do - vitriol and overreactions. Basically, incels.

It was in quotes for a reason. Hardcore men's rights activists on the internet - the ones that adopted the whole "redpill" moniker - tend to function the same way hardcore feminists do - vitriol and overreactions. Basically, incels.

Uhhhhh, being Red Pilled generally refers to those who were on the left leaning side of things waking up to the reality that conservatives are actually (mostly) on the side of truth and are correct about quite a bit more than one previously believed (no one is perfect and both sides have their problems). Men's rights groups are but a small portion of the "Red Pilled" and as far as I'm concerned I don't give a rip about them, but hey different strokes for different folks. I'm a constitutional conservative that somewhat understands why feminism exists, but I don't agree with how many are implementing it as it has mostly just gone off the rails. Feminism now seems to be the end justifies the means no matter how much harm it causes to both women and men. If one seeks to bring down a man for the sole reason he is a man then that just hurts everyone and helps no one.

Ah, “some level of accuracy”. So we both agree there will be levels of inaccuracy, we’re just trying to set the bar. The ability to build castles in minutes and wage war with a dozen horsemen whom die and come back to life repeatedly is ok, but long hair and boobs is a deal breaker, that’s just crazy town, got it.

Girls like games, girls want to be able to pretend they are part of the fantasy, just let them have some fun. If you want realistic combat go join the fucking army.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back