Total distance walked in DayZ is equal to...

So... I dont feel like doing the math, but reading how some people are doing it... you're doing speed into hours. That give km/h. That km/h is then split between all active players on in that hour.

No, the # of hours played is all players combined, not the # of hours the game has been active. The only reason you would split the km/h between all active players is if the # of hours played was divided by the # of players playing the game which would give you the average # of hours played *per player*. Unless you think the average player has been playing DayZ for 2,500 years, then no, you don't divide the km/h by the # of active players. Even if you did, you'd be dividing 145km/hr by over a million, which would result in an even more ridiculous speed...just on the other end of the ridiculous spectrum lol.

I can't wait for DayZ standalone. Game is really fun.
It's going to be nice having a proper client/server model for it. The peer-to-peer model, as it is exists now, just doesn't work for this type of game.

No, the # of hours played is all players combined, not the # of hours the game has been active. The only reason you would split the km/h between all active players is if the # of hours played was divided by the # of players playing the game which would give you the average # of hours played *per player*. Unless you think the average player has been playing DayZ for 2,500 years, then no, you don't divide the km/h by the # of active players. Even if you did, you'd be dividing 145km/hr by over a million, which would result in an even more ridiculous speed...just on the other end of the ridiculous spectrum lol.

You divide it by ACTIVE PEOPLE ON during the hour. When you do played and distance, thats for ALL players who are active over time. So when you get the figure of 145km/h, that means all players on each hour hour averaged 145km/h. You need to divide that figure by the amount of people who are playing during an hour on average to get the average speed of a single player. They dont give us that figure. The numbers people are using to get 145km/h is the average for all players combined during an hour.

You divide it by ACTIVE PEOPLE ON during the hour.

No. You divide the total distance traveled by all players combined by the total time played by all players combined to get the average speed *per player*. The simplest example is; One person plays for one hour and goes 5km. That's 5km/hr. If you have two people playing and the total distance traveled is 10km in one hour(per player, so 2 hours total time played), that's still 5km/hr. You don't then take that 5km/hr and divide by two players active for the hour to get 2.5km/hr, because then that would mean that they only went 2.5km each which is wrong; We know they went 5km each.

Unique Players: 1,379,066
Total Walked: 3,140,157,335 km
That's 2277 km per player.

Around 4 minutes per km is realistic for a human, and I get the impression that ARMA II is supposed to try to be realistic about these things. So if you assumed everyone was running at 4 km per hour the whole time, that would be about 151 hours of running.

Total time played: 2476 years, or 21,704,616 hours. That divided by 1,379,066 players is 15.7 hours per player.

15.7 hours versus 151 hours. One number is almost exactly 10 times as large as the other. Coincidence? I don't think so. I am quite certain that the actual number of km run is 314,015,733. I think that 227 km per player is totally reasonable and believable.

Around 4 minutes per km is realistic for a human, and I get the impression that ARMA II is supposed to try to be realistic about these things. So if you assumed everyone was running at 4 km per hour the whole time, that would be about 151 hours of running.

Total time played: 2476 years, or 21,704,616 hours. That divided by 1,379,066 players is 15.7 hours per player.

15.7 hours versus 151 hours. One number is almost exactly 10 times as large as the other. Coincidence? I don't think so. I am quite certain that the actual number of km run is 314,015,733. I think that 227 km per player is totally reasonable and believable.
Even that has to be way off, because people don't just run non-stop in this game. There's a lot of sneaking, crawling, etc.

Even that has to be way off, because people don't just run non-stop in this game. There's a lot of sneaking, crawling, etc.

Most of the time, they do. The majority of the map does not have zombies or structures. Many players, just after they spawn, run for a good half hour.

So... I dont feel like doing the math, but reading how some people are doing it... you're doing speed into hours. That give km/h. That km/h is then split between all active players on in that hour. All players were doing 145km/h, if there were 145 playrs on, they would all be averaging 1km/h... Theres not one player running at 145km/h lol

No, that's total time spent by all players logged into the game, therefore the number is even more ridiculous, because dividing total KM / total playtime you assume people are walking at full speed 100% of the time. Doing it your way would mean that the game has been out for almost 2,500 years. The numbers given are clearly nonsensical.

227 seems a little high, but it's realistic. Chernarus is about 15x15km, so 227 equates to traversing it in one direction, end to end, about 15 times.

That seems silly to outsiders, but to DayZ players, that seems somewhat reasonable.

Again though...basic math people. You have the total time played - 21,704,616 hours. If each player had ran 4 km/h for 151 hours, the number of hours played would be 208,238,966 (151x1,379,066).

Like I said, they probably just put "KM" on a stat that was actually in meters...

Oops

Again though...basic math people. You have the total time played - 21,704,616 hours. If each player had ran 4 km/h for 151 hours, the number of hours played would be 208,238,966 (151x1,379,066).

Which is exactly why I think they ran for 15.7 hours each instead of 151 hours each.

Like I said, they probably just put "KM" on a stat that was actually in meters...

That would mean players had actually run only 2.27 km each. That seems way too low.

I could have been convinced that it's 22.7 km per player instead of 227 km if the hours played didn't match up so well for 227 km.

Back