Toss The Dell MoBo, Save The P4C 2.6

Merc

Limp Gawd
My wife inherited my Dell 4600 when I built my AMD 64 SLI rig. It is fine for what it does but it is freakin slow as hell and I can't understand why? The CPU is a P4C 2.6GHZ (Northwood Core) running on a 800MHZ FSB. Has 1GB of PC3200 DDR 400 RAM in it. Chipset is a little confusing (this may be the problem) CPUz states the it is: i865P/PE/G/i848P . WTF. Did Dell stick several different codes on one chipset to accomodate different CPU's? Is this the cause of the slowdown or is it Dells proprietary BIOS?

Anyways, my question to you folks that are smarter on Intel than I, is:
1. Would it be worth it to scrap the Dell mobo and case and rebuild a system arouns this CPU (still $250 at ZZF)? Would I see and appreciable performance increase? The reason this is practical is that I have a lot of parts laying around (corsair RAM PSU drives) and plugged a 6800 vanilla in there a year ago so I really only need a case and mobo.

2. What mobo would be a good fit? Am I limited to the 865 chipset?

I am not going to do a clean install of Windows on the Dell mobo, just isn't worth it, I would guess, as I'd still be saddled with the Dell BIOS and I have heard that the Dell BIOS doesn't like to run without the proprietary version of XP loaded.

TIA

I have an IDE WD 80 GB w/ 8mb buffer as her backup. I'd stick that in there and use the Dell HDD as the backup. Maybe I'd buy a SATA but, really, why bother when I have a new HDD standing by. Plus the 8mb buffer will improve performance over the Dell HDD.

Not really sure if the mobo is holding you back. However, with a new mobo you could probably OC the 2.6C to get more performance out of it (with some good RAM.) I would run some benchmarks and try to compare them with other 2.6C systems. That should tell you if the Dell mobo is holding you back.

You aren't limited to the 865 chipset. The other one you could get (which will give you about a 10% boost in performance) is the 875P chipset. The three mobo's that are the most popular for the 875P chipset are:

Abit IC7 Max3 - Good luck finding one new. You might be able to find one used.

Abit IC7-G Max 2 - Readily available at most online retailers.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe - Readily available at most online retailers.

I run an Abit IS7 (865 chipset, has been replaced by the Abit AI7.) I was able to get my 2.6C to 3.01 completely stable. I've been using this system for about 2 years. Never had any problems.

Thanks SLH. I have been looking at the Asus. I need to run 3DMark05 and see what I get I guess. Actually, the wife is fine with it as is, I'm just itching to build another system and need some semblance of a reason. LOL. My SLI rig is where it needs to be until I replace the Processor in a year or so.

edit;
Unbelievable. Those 478 socket/875 chipset mobos cost more than my A8N SLI Deluxe with NV4 chipset. Think I'll drift towards the 865PE.

The slowness you are experiencing is most likely due to Dell loading their computers with a buttload of CRAP. A reformat would be beneficial. Good luck on using a nondell cd though, I'm not aware of how well that would go.

Of course, overclocking to 3ghz and above will substantially help, I say you still should reformat after that, especially after a new motherboard.

i say keep the rig and do a clean reformat, then see if your PLL is listed on any of the software FSB overclockers, i've had alot of success lately with finding PLL's that work so maybe yours will. that motherboard shouldnt be limiting you

Merc said:
Chipset is a little confusing (this may be the problem) CPUz states the it is: i865P/PE/G/i848P . WTF. Did Dell stick several different codes on one chipset to accomodate different CPU's? Is this the cause of the slowdown or is it Dells proprietary BIOS?
TIA
Cpu-z says the same thing for my Asus P4P800. The P4P800 is an i865pe board so the board in the dell may be as well. That probably doesn't help you too much but just though I would let you know.

Merc said:
Chipset is a little confusing (this may be the problem) CPUz states the it is: i865P/PE/G/i848P . WTF. Did Dell stick several different codes on one chipset to accomodate different CPU's?

My i865G Chipset board says the exact same thing in CPUz--probably because the way Intel makes the chipsets there is no way to identify them any further through software--you might want to check the Dell technical specification sheet for that mobo/computer model.

A 2.4GHz P4 isn't that fast really, especially with slow RAM timings (if that is the case)... If there is a way to overclock it on that board (like the person above mentioned) that is your best bet. The CPU should be cabable of something close to 3Ghz (if not higher, depending on stepping) and that should make a big difference. If the board can do that, then that might be all you need. Otherwise, I'd say yes if you can get a good overclocking S478 board for a good price, go with that.

Honestly all you need to do is a clean format and that system will run perfect, I think your just wasting your time and money by getting a new motherboard.

apHytHiaTe said:
The slowness you are experiencing is most likely due to Dell loading their computers with a buttload of CRAP. A reformat would be beneficial. Good luck on using a nondell cd though, I'm not aware of how well that would go.

I assume this is the problem as well, I would just reinstall windows on that machine with your backup drive as the primary. You should have no problems intalling windows with a legit key, if you do you can always call Windows and do the registration over the phone.

Yeah I think someone said it perfectly with scratch the itch. Do what you want to do.

$250 at ZZF is due to it's rarity though. Because it's a northwood. I wouldnt use that for its market rate if you were really factoring that in. But the OC alone would pay for the cost of the mobo probably. How much would a decent springdale go for these days? Couple of Jacksons' only I'm sure.

Cheaply the reformat would help. It runs other window's cd people, get real.

I bought my current mobo (Abit IS7, 865pe) off of ebay for 50$ plus 12 buck shipping. Not too bad .

LKS

I have approximately 500+ Dells where I work. They aren't speed demons but they certainly aren't abnormally slow. I do completely rebuild the OS on each and don't leave them with the factory install.

Is the memory your using matched? If you have mismatched memory, it's possible that it's having difficulty with different CAS latencies... Did it come with your system or did you buy memory after the fact. I'm trying to recall if that board needs them in pairs or not.

Is it slow than it was before or has it always been slow? If it's slower than when you obtained it, it could be spyware and what not. If it's always been slow, try reformatting it.

Have you run any system tests/benchmarks like Sisoftware's Sandra? This may help pinpoint issues.

Back