Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" Mechanical HDD thoughts??

I'm planning to get this HDD later next month for simple archiving of videos. So far, Newegg, Amazon and B&H like it but the noise is bad.

I do have history with Toshiba. My PS3 has a 1TB laptop hard drive installed and it's still good.

Any thoughts about this one, or should I go for WD or Seagate?? Help and thanks.

They're solid in general, I would personally for those over WD and Seagate.

I've had decent luck with Toshiba drives.
Unfortunately, just about every attempt to deal with customer support from Toshiba has been an utter shit show. Actively customer hostile and willing to lie at the drop of a hat.

My personal preference is Western Digital or HGST.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is anything better in terms of price/size/performance ratio. They are noisy, but I do not think they are as loud as the last generation of Toshiba drives.

I have had a bunch of the 5TB X300 drives and recently ordered 80 of the 6TB models from Neobits for $165. They are the second best drives on the market as far as I can tell.

HGST drives are the best though If you have the money.

These drives are great and very fast. I don't have any experience with their customer support though. They aren't quiet. If you want quiet get WD Red.

Does anyone know how Toshiba gets away with their pricing? They are considerably cheaper than comparable drives that aren't even 7200 RPM, and we know that they are pretty dependable.

Do these run hot? I am in need of replacing my current raid1z 5x1TB 7200RPM drives. Running out of space. I am moving my server and NAS into the garage and the least amount of heat the better. I live in SoCal so heat might be an issue I am looking at the WD NAS drives or something else. Looking at 4TB or better for capacity. And yes I will be converting to a raid2z setup due to increase in drive size :)

They radiate a decent amount of heat compared to 5k drives. I wouldn't worry too much about 5 drives in a nas in a garage as long as you use a fan.

Last edited:
Do these run hot? I am in need of replacing my current raid1z 5x1TB 7200RPM drives. Running out of space. I am moving my server and NAS into the garage and the least amount of heat the better. I live in SoCal so heat might be an issue I am looking at the WD NAS drives or something else. Looking at 4TB or better for capacity. And yes I will be converting to a raid2z setup due to increase in drive size :)

i had a pair of x300 5tb drives, they ran fairly warm under load, with a 120mm fan dragging air across it. i think 45c under load. now running a pair of 8tb hgsts instead, these get to 41/42c in the same conditions.

Back