Toshiba To Launch OLED TVs Later This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is good news for those who want to believe that OLED is finally going to make it big. Panasonic revealed their interest last year when they took the wraps off of the 65EZ1000, and we learned that Sony was invested this year when they revealed the XBR-A1E at CES. Now, we have yet another significant player to look to for the highest-quality display technology available. The real story for me will be when someone other than LG starts producing OLED panels, who seemingly have no interest in producing smaller screens. A 40” OLED TV would make for a great monitor for sure.

Toshiba announced that it will launch its first OLED TV later this year (probably in March). Toshiba will offer 55" and 65" 4K OLEDs in Japan for ¥700,000 (about $6,100) and ¥900,000 (about $7,900) - which is reportedly similar to LG's high-end OLED TVs in Japan. Toshiba will use panels produced by LG Display - which is also supplying OLED TV panels to Japan-based Sony and Panasonic.

50" please, some of us don't have room for larger in their homes..

i would like a nice 28" monitor for about 499$ in 4k if we can. Other than that poooooooooooooodoooooooooooooooooooooo

But is it going to be an industry accepted new standard, or more "YOU'VE GOT TO BUY THIS CAUSE ITS NEW AND WE SAY ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!1111!!!" horseshit like curved screens and 3D? Its difficult to discuss these things over on the dedicated home theater sites and forums... too many godamn snobs with the kind of disposable income that lets them drop 10k on a fucking sub and call it 'mid-level' quality....

They've spent 30k+ on 3D blu-rays and equipment and are pissed that Companys are finally dumping that nonsense and are pissed because the industry forgot about them :/

Last edited:
Don't OLEDs still have image retention problems?

From personal experience, t's mainly on dark grey screens for the LG TVs. You'd notice something if you opened Photoshop. The smartphone OLEDs and such are another story altogether, but the article stated that they'll be using the LG panels. Outside of grey though, it's fine, and I haven't noticed any image retention.

But is it going to be an industry accepted new standard, or more "YOU'VE GOT TO BUY THIS CAUSE ITS NEW AND WE SAY ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!1111!!!" horseshit like curved screens and 3D? Its difficult to discuss these things over on the dedicated home theater sites and forums... too many godamn snobs with the kind of disposable income that lets them drop 10k on a fucking sub and call it 'mid-level' quality....

They've spent 30k+ on 3D blu-rays and equipment and are pissed that Companys are finally dumping that nonsense and are pissed because the industry forgot about them :/

It's kind of hard to correlate marketed features for at the time present TV technologies vs. a whole new display technology that is literally nothing like LCD.

It's obvious that when you get into the upper echelons of technology, you tend to pay a high premium for only a slight increase in fidelity (sometimes only measured through instruments and not noticeable to most people).

OLED is different, though there will be naysayers, most of the differences between OLED and LCD can be seen easily with the naked eye.

I personally prefer phosphorus displays like Plasma and OLED, the lack of a back-light makes for true blacks and increases the immersion for certain game environments or movies (space / sci-fi for instance).

Some of us would give a considerable amount of our savings for such technologies, not all of us are just blowing large amounts of perceived "chump change" to have the experience we would enjoy best.

With that said, OLED isn't a gimmick, it is a technology that works differently from the LCD TVs and monitors that we have come to accept as the end all be all. Each technology has it's drawbacks, but OLED is in it's early stages where LCD is fighting desperately against the inherent drawbacks of a technology that has reached a far point in it's maturity.

OLED FTW. Ever since my first OLED display I've craved for more. Bring back the glory days of CRT with so much more. I could have never dreamed in the 90s I'd be able to afford a 60 inch CRT that is thinner than then LCD panels. And no scan lines and higher refresh, it's such a good time to be alive in tech still.

OLED FTW. Ever since my first OLED display I've craved for more. Bring back the glory days of CRT with so much more. I could have never dreamed in the 90s I'd be able to afford a 60 inch CRT that is thinner than then LCD panels. And no scan lines and higher refresh, it's such a good time to be alive in tech still.

You can get a 60inch CRT that is uber thin?

Or are you saying OLEDs are on par with CRTs from the 90's?

You can get a 60inch CRT that is uber thin?

Or are you saying OLEDs are on par with CRTs from the 90's?

I'm going to go out on a whim here and assume that he is referencing the qualities that the best CRT's offered that LCD still lacks in under most circumstances. Dark blacks, motion blur free motion, etc.

We all know SED TV technology died a long time ago. *tear*

I'm going to go out on a whim here and assume that he is referencing the qualities that the best CRT's offered that LCD still lacks in under most circumstances. Dark blacks, motion blur free motion, etc.

supposedly in the vacuum of space, Very good quality crt's could be made but that's still aways off.

How I miss SED stupid patent suit.

call me when they release a 16:10 around 40" with 10-point touch for less then 2.5k. Oh and with no image burn in to even remotely worry about. I dont like living in the 90's.

kthankksbye

;)

Don't OLEDs still have image retention problems?

Well from my experience my 2015 LG 55" is that is doesn't seem to be a problem. From what I head the first year they came out, they had more of that problem. I really only play games on mine and haven't had any stuck health bars or anything.

Well from my experience my 2015 LG 55" is that is doesn't seem to be a problem. From what I head the first year they came out, they had more of that problem. I really only play games on mine and haven't had any stuck health bars or anything.

Generally it's games or sports overlays that will do it, I kind of thought it would get sorted. It probably took pretty exceptional circumstances to get it to happen in the first place.

Now I want a 60", 8k, ultrawide, curved monitor that's a half inch thick.

The real story for me will be when someone other than LG starts producing OLED panels, who seemingly have no interest in producing smaller screens.

Article said:
Toshiba will use panels produced by LG Display - which is also supplying OLED TV panels to Japan-based Sony and Panasonic.

They aren't exactly producing the panels. OLED still has color accuracy problems (with LG panels) and doesn't do very well when it comes to HDR. There just aren't enough lumens. With a LED LCD, you can just add more lights. (But I will admit the bleed-through sucks as it kills contrast)

You don't need as many lumens if you have better blacks.

You don't need as many lumens if you have better blacks.

HDR standard says otherwise. But projectors are even worse. If you want the kind of lumens recommended with a projector you'll need a dedicated AC feed to the projector to keep it cool like in the big movie theaters.

In a perfect world I would want a 43" to 45" curved oled for a computer display. Display port would be ideal but never gonna happen.

He's not completely wrong. I can't remember the last time Toshiba had a top quality set.

Yes but those kind of black levels on a OLED are useless unless you have a light controlled room. Hence the brighter LED LCD's are the best option for HDR. As always not one tool fits everyone's needs. But for the majority LED LCD has a long lifetime ahead of it.

Agree with what you are saying both on the fact that LED are brighter and still have a lot of legs left to them; however, would temper the comment by saying that OLED do have enough brightness when it comes to bright areas. They only start to fall down if the entire screen needed to show a very bright scene on 70-80% or more of the image.

Eh. Too late. I wanted to go to OLED from my plasma, but the itch was too much and the OLED price too damn high, and now I've got a 4K Sony 930D instead. Quite happy with it and not about to switch out soon. Though I still love that old Plasma, need to get it set up in a second room some time.

Toshiba hasn't been relevant in the high end TV market in forever...Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and LG are the big boys...Toshiba was last relevant when they were one the earliest supporters of HD-DVD back in the days...Toshiba probably still makes decent Blu-ray players but that's about it

Toshiba hasn't been relevant in the high end TV market in forever...Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and LG are the big boys...Toshiba was last relevant when they were one the earliest supporters of HD-DVD back in the days...Toshiba probably still makes decent Blu-ray players but that's about it

Sony uses panels from both Sharp and Samsung. They were in a joint venture with Samsung years ago but this agreement expired.
Toshiba uses panels from Samsung, and now LG.
Sharp uses their own panels but are losing the race technology wise and outsource to a number of OEMs
Panasonic does their own panels
Insignia gets most of their panels from LG.
Then there generic brands AUO and Sceptre and a ton of smaller players.

The only truly relevant players now are Samsung and LG. Panasonic is playing catch-up after they lost the bet on Plasma. Everybody else is in the dust technology wise. What you are paying for is the amount of tweakability, quality of back lighting, and hardware components.

With the exception of Insignia (Best Buy brand), ALL OF THEM CAN BE FOUND AT WALMART.

Sony uses panels from both Sharp and Samsung. They were in a joint venture with Samsung years ago but this agreement expired.
Toshiba uses panels from Samsung, and now LG.
Sharp uses their own panels but are losing the race technology wise and outsource to a number of OEMs
Panasonic does their own panels
Insignia gets most of their panels from LG.
Then there generic brands AUO and Sceptre and a ton of smaller players.

The only truly relevant players now are Samsung and LG. Panasonic is playing catch-up after they lost the bet on Plasma. Everybody else is in the dust technology wise. What you are paying for is the amount of tweakability, quality of back lighting, and hardware components.

With the exception of Insignia (Best Buy brand), ALL OF THEM CAN BE FOUND AT WALMART.

Toshiba (and Mitsubishi, etc.) still makes high end sets for the JDM, they're just not compatible with ATSC (They're all satellite BS receivers with DVR capabilities etc.) so we don't get similar-to-japanese sets like we did back in the NTSC days. For the US market where everything's a lot cheaper, they just ship us cheap crap that people want. I'm sure their OLED models will never make it here.

Sony isn't a Walmart brand... They might have one or two cheap low-end models being sold in-store to try and get some of the sub $500 TV market share, sure. But you're not going to be able to walk into a Wal-Mart and buy their $5K flagship Z9D or their upcoming OLED A1E.

Back