Toshiba To Launch OLED TVs Later This Year

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

This is good news for those who want to believe that OLED is finally going to make it big. Panasonic revealed their interest last year when they took the wraps off of the 65EZ1000, and we learned that Sony was invested this year when they revealed the XBR-A1E at CES. Now, we have yet another significant player to look to for the highest-quality display technology available. The real story for me will be when someone other than LG starts producing OLED panels, who seemingly have no interest in producing smaller screens. A 40” OLED TV would make for a great monitor for sure.

Toshiba announced that it will launch its first OLED TV later this year (probably in March). Toshiba will offer 55" and 65" 4K OLEDs in Japan for ¥700,000 (about $6,100) and ¥900,000 (about $7,900) - which is reportedly similar to LG's high-end OLED TVs in Japan. Toshiba will use panels produced by LG Display - which is also supplying OLED TV panels to Japan-based Sony and Panasonic.

2. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Yay for competition...sort of!

John721 and spinach_chin like this.
  3. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Don't OLEDs still have image retention problems?

4. LazN

LazN Limp Gawd

50" please, some of us don't have room for larger in their homes..

5. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

i would like a nice 28" monitor for about 499$ in 4k if we can. Other than that poooooooooooooodoooooooooooooooooooooo

6. RogueTrip

RogueTrip 2[H]4U

28" 1440 Monitor and a 43" 1080p TV please and Thank you!

7. DoggyDaddi

DoggyDaddi Gawd

But is it going to be an industry accepted new standard, or more "YOU'VE GOT TO BUY THIS CAUSE ITS NEW AND WE SAY ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!1111!!!" horseshit like curved screens and 3D? Its difficult to discuss these things over on the dedicated home theater sites and forums... too many godamn snobs with the kind of disposable income that lets them drop 10k on a fucking sub and call it 'mid-level' quality....

They've spent 30k+ on 3D blu-rays and equipment and are pissed that Companys are finally dumping that nonsense and are pissed because the industry forgot about them :/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  8. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

From personal experience, t's mainly on dark grey screens for the LG TVs. You'd notice something if you opened Photoshop. The smartphone OLEDs and such are another story altogether, but the article stated that they'll be using the LG panels. Outside of grey though, it's fine, and I haven't noticed any image retention.

9. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Then this TV isn't for you.

10. Derfman

Derfman [H]ard|Gawd

It's kind of hard to correlate marketed features for at the time present TV technologies vs. a whole new display technology that is literally nothing like LCD.

It's obvious that when you get into the upper echelons of technology, you tend to pay a high premium for only a slight increase in fidelity (sometimes only measured through instruments and not noticeable to most people).

OLED is different, though there will be naysayers, most of the differences between OLED and LCD can be seen easily with the naked eye.

I personally prefer phosphorus displays like Plasma and OLED, the lack of a back-light makes for true blacks and increases the immersion for certain game environments or movies (space / sci-fi for instance).

Some of us would give a considerable amount of our savings for such technologies, not all of us are just blowing large amounts of perceived "chump change" to have the experience we would enjoy best.

With that said, OLED isn't a gimmick, it is a technology that works differently from the LCD TVs and monitors that we have come to accept as the end all be all. Each technology has it's drawbacks, but OLED is in it's early stages where LCD is fighting desperately against the inherent drawbacks of a technology that has reached a far point in it's maturity.

11. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

OLED FTW. Ever since my first OLED display I've craved for more. Bring back the glory days of CRT with so much more. I could have never dreamed in the 90s I'd be able to afford a 60 inch CRT that is thinner than then LCD panels. And no scan lines and higher refresh, it's such a good time to be alive in tech still.

12. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

You can get a 60inch CRT that is uber thin?

Or are you saying OLEDs are on par with CRTs from the 90's?

13. Derfman

Derfman [H]ard|Gawd

I'm going to go out on a whim here and assume that he is referencing the qualities that the best CRT's offered that LCD still lacks in under most circumstances. Dark blacks, motion blur free motion, etc.

We all know SED TV technology died a long time ago. *tear*

JosiahBradley likes this.
  14. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

supposedly in the vacuum of space, Very good quality crt's could be made but that's still aways off.

15. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

How I miss SED stupid patent suit.

Meeho and Derfman like this.
  16. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

TOSHIBA IS A walmart brand tv lol
    6000-7000 yeah right

17. HoffY

HoffY Gawd

call me when they release a 16:10 around 40" with 10-point touch for less then 2.5k. Oh and with no image burn in to even remotely worry about. I dont like living in the 90's.

kthankksbye

;)

18. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

Well from my experience my 2015 LG 55" is that is doesn't seem to be a problem. From what I head the first year they came out, they had more of that problem. I really only play games on mine and haven't had any stuck health bars or anything.

19. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Generally it's games or sports overlays that will do it, I kind of thought it would get sorted. It probably took pretty exceptional circumstances to get it to happen in the first place.

Now I want a 60", 8k, ultrawide, curved monitor that's a half inch thick.

20. They aren't exactly producing the panels. OLED still has color accuracy problems (with LG panels) and doesn't do very well when it comes to HDR. There just aren't enough lumens. With a LED LCD, you can just add more lights. (But I will admit the bleed-through sucks as it kills contrast)

21. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

You don't need as many lumens if you have better blacks.

22. HDR standard says otherwise. But projectors are even worse. If you want the kind of lumens recommended with a projector you'll need a dedicated AC feed to the projector to keep it cool like in the big movie theaters.

23. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Nolan7689 likes this.
  24. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

In a perfect world I would want a 43" to 45" curved oled for a computer display. Display port would be ideal but never gonna happen.

25. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

Statements like this make me thing that some of the posters here are 12 or 13.

deton8 likes this.
  26. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

He's not completely wrong. I can't remember the last time Toshiba had a top quality set.

27. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

Same can be said for Sony. Get 'em at Walmart. Is anyone condemning Sony as a "Walmart brand" ?

28. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

Agree with what you are saying both on the fact that LED are brighter and still have a lot of legs left to them; however, would temper the comment by saying that OLED do have enough brightness when it comes to bright areas. They only start to fall down if the entire screen needed to show a very bright scene on 70-80% or more of the image.

29. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

Eh. Too late. I wanted to go to OLED from my plasma, but the itch was too much and the OLED price too damn high, and now I've got a 4K Sony 930D instead. Quite happy with it and not about to switch out soon. Though I still love that old Plasma, need to get it set up in a second room some time.

30. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Toshiba hasn't been relevant in the high end TV market in forever...Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and LG are the big boys...Toshiba was last relevant when they were one the earliest supporters of HD-DVD back in the days...Toshiba probably still makes decent Blu-ray players but that's about it

31. Sony uses panels from both Sharp and Samsung. They were in a joint venture with Samsung years ago but this agreement expired.
    Toshiba uses panels from Samsung, and now LG.
    Sharp uses their own panels but are losing the race technology wise and outsource to a number of OEMs
    Panasonic does their own panels
    Insignia gets most of their panels from LG.
    Then there generic brands AUO and Sceptre and a ton of smaller players.

The only truly relevant players now are Samsung and LG. Panasonic is playing catch-up after they lost the bet on Plasma. Everybody else is in the dust technology wise. What you are paying for is the amount of tweakability, quality of back lighting, and hardware components.

With the exception of Insignia (Best Buy brand), ALL OF THEM CAN BE FOUND AT WALMART.

Seventyfive likes this.
  32. DoggyDaddi

DoggyDaddi Gawd

probably about the same time I bought my XBR Bravo Z 40"... picture is still amaze-bawlz

33. Miikun

Miikun Limp Gawd

Toshiba (and Mitsubishi, etc.) still makes high end sets for the JDM, they're just not compatible with ATSC (They're all satellite BS receivers with DVR capabilities etc.) so we don't get similar-to-japanese sets like we did back in the NTSC days. For the US market where everything's a lot cheaper, they just ship us cheap crap that people want. I'm sure their OLED models will never make it here.

34. LazN

LazN Limp Gawd

Well duh, but no one makes a OLED tv smaller than 55" currently.. I'll pay the same price as a 55" for a 50" one..

35. 999

999 Limp Gawd

Sony isn't a Walmart brand... They might have one or two cheap low-end models being sold in-store to try and get some of the sub $500 TV market share, sure. But you're not going to be able to walk into a Wal-Mart and buy their $5K flagship Z9D or their upcoming OLED A1E.