Toshiba Reveals New 3D Flash Chip That Can Store 1TB

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Toshiba is supplementing their BiCS flash lineup with a new 512Gb chip that can store 3 bits of data per cell. The company’s latest 3D NAND technology stacks 64 layers of flash, which provides 65% greater capacity than the previous generation’s 48 layers. Planned for the near future is a 1TB drive, which will comprise 16 of the new chips (64GB/512Gb) in a single package.

The new technology will enable a 1TB chip that will be used to create enterprise and consumer SSDs, the company said. Mass production of the new 512Gb chip devices is scheduled for the second half of 2017. The next milestone in the BiCS flash development roadmap will be the industry's highest capacity chip, a 1TB product with a 16-die stacked architecture in a single package -- in other words, 16 of the 64GB chips. Toshiba said it plans to begin shipping samples of its 1TB chip in April.

I have to comment here seeing as how i've been buying storage for computers for around 27 years since around 1990.

Some of the first drives I've owned were 40mb drives, 80mb drives and getting into 100mg, 150, 200, 210 etc. I still have a 24 or 25 year old Quantum Fireball that runs perfectly.

It's amazing to me to see how hard drives have gotten bigger and bigger in size over the years.

I remember going to a Sams Club 20+ years ago and debating for a long long hour + to buy a 320mb hard for $200+ dollars. lol. Which I never bought.

I bring all this up because I am excited that with chips like this 512 / 1gb chip that we are finally going to move into the 2, 3, 4+ TB SSD's in the coming year or two.

I have to comment here seeing as how i've been buying storage for computers for around 27 years since around 1990.

Some of the first drives I've owned were 40mb drives, 80mb drives and getting into 100mg, 150, 200, 210 etc. I still have a 24 or 25 year old Quantum Fireball that runs perfectly.

It's amazing to me to see how hard drives have gotten bigger and bigger in size over the years.

I remember going to a Sams Club 20+ years ago and debating for a long long hour + to buy a 320mb hard for $200+ dollars. lol. Which I never bought.

I bring all this up because I am excited that with chips like this 512 / 1gb chip that we are finally going to move into the 2, 3, 4+ TB SSD's in the coming year or two.

We are well into those SSD sizes already, they just are not cheap. With more getting into those sizes, maybe we will see some getting into the HEDT price range and not just Enterprise range.

We yeah, I'm not talking about the 4tb SSD's made with a smaller memory chip sizes that cost more money.

New larger capacity chips is what I am hoping bring the prices down on larger sizes.

We yeah, I'm not talking about the 4tb SSD's made with a smaller memory chip sizes that cost more money.

New larger capacity chips is what I am hoping bring the prices down on larger sizes.

Yeah, even if this hadn't happened I think prices were going to come down a lot this year, due to scaling up of data centre adoption and stuff, but this hopefully bodes well. I really want everything on an SSD at this point, but it's still like 8/9:1 for SSD vs HDD pricing so it's not viable, but maybe next year (I don't mean I think prices will come down that much, but take a couple of hundred bucks off the price of a 2 TB ssd and it starts to look reasonable to me if I squint :p)

Weren't we supposed to see 16+ TB SSDs by now, based on the claims of some NAND manufacturers a year or two ago???

Back