Toshiba Dropping HD DVD Prices

Actually, Blu-Ray 1.1 gives you PiP. The only thing 2.0 adds is Internet connectivity. 2.0 isn't even finalized yet - thats for next years players! Hooray!

I remember reading a review about 300 (HDDVD version) and I remember how the reviewer commented on how the special features was executed much better on the HDDVD version when compared to Beta-Ray.

Of course, now the studios can release Special/Director's editions of the movies they already released. Isn't that great? All the hardcore fans can pay twice for the same movie! And if HDDVD really does bite the dust, even more fans get to do the same! Everybody wins! :rolleyes:

Very true - the only blue ray player you should buy is a PS3 because it's the only one with any chance of implementing the final blue ray spec. All those other 1.0 & 1.1 $$$$ blue ray players simply will not support the special features of future disks. This is a major problem for blue ray.

Obviously HD-DVD has it's own problems but not with the technology which at least works properly.

When you are asking people if they like the Red Apple more or the Green ones, you can't say more people like Oranges.

We are comparing HD to not HD.

If both formats are failing, it really doesn't matter if one is outselling the other. If total sales were falling (and I'm not saying they are), you wouldn't be able to tell from a percentages graph.

You're completely missing the point.

If the point is not mainstream adoption but instead a techie pissing contest that most people won't care about, then I guess you're right.

Why would you compare a new format to a completely entrenched format and say "look this old format has more users!"

By that reasoning, nobody should ever compare the number of Vista users to the number of XP users. After all, you can't compare a new version to a completely entrenched version.

Learn that on the debate team, did ya?

I'm using a download solution but I always download HD. They should just skip this format wars and go straight to digital downloads so I can get more of my movies for free :D

But my money is still on HD-DVD

Heres the kicker to your argument then: You wouldn't be getting lossless on a 30gig disc for LOTR if you actually had to have this other thing...you know..the movie on there as well.
That wasn't my argument really, but that isn't necessarily true. The DVD extended editions are four disc packages: two discs for the movie itself and two for extra content. One movie can span more than one disc.

The argument I was making is that it's fairly unlikely you could discern the lossy DD+ track from the lossless TrueHD track, even if the TrueHD track were 24/96. Lossy compression, in your words, is "butchering" the movie, even if the lossy audio track is likely indistinguishable, or only slightly distinguishable, from the lossless track. This is the purest form of paranoia, and not really a solid argument against HD DVD in my opinion.

I favor HD DVD, by the way. The only real advantage I see in Blu-ray is capacity, and though I'm an audio engineer by trade, I certainly don't feel like I need lossless audio. That doesn't justify the format for me.

I'm buying an HD-DVD player - why? Because I need a new regular DVD player, and this is damn near the same cost...and I get free movies. If the HD-DVD does tank, then it's even better for me, I get cheap ass HD-DVD movies.

Back