Toshiba Core Duo Lappy $549 OTD

Bullitt

2[H]4U
Best Buy has their Toshiba Core Duo Lappy on special for $549 OTD. No rebates this time.
Old Deal
Current Deal, No rebate this time

Same specs as Feb:

# The Satellite A35-S2276 notebook includes: 15.4"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) TruBrite LCD screen
# Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2060 operating at 1.60GHz
# 1MB L2 cache
# 533MHz frontside bus
# 512MB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory, upgradable to 2.0GB
# 80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
# DVD SuperMulti drive with Double Layer support (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD±R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)
# Atheros® 802.11b/g wireless LAN
# 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN port
# 56K V.92 software modem
# 4 USB 2.0 ports
# 1 S-video out port
# 1 PC Card slot: supports Type I/Type II PC Card, PCMCIA
# ATI Mobility Radeon X200M graphics with up to 128MB of shared memory (dynamically allocated)
# Windows-compatible audio; built-in stereo speakers; headphone output jack and microphone input jack
# 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery (4000 mAh), for approximately 2 hours of operation
# Dimensions: 1 1/2"H x 14 1/5"W x 10 1/2"D
# Weight: 6.0 lbs

No rebates this time....

edit: deal ends 3/24

Battery life leaves a little to be desired, but is otherwise a pretty solid office laptop. Should even be able to run Vista with aero glass enabled (but I would strongly, *STRONGLY* urge upgrading to 1GB before using Vista).

*Edit: Just noticed it comes with Home Basic. I would definitely recommend upgrading to a gig in that case. I've used Vista with 512MBs of RAM, and it ain't pretty (and this was on a nice higher end C2D, with a 7600 Go--in contrast, my Core Duo with an x1300 and a gig of RAM ran circles around it).

seems like a decent deal if you have a copy of xp and reformat it. how is toshiba for long term reliability? I could not find a full review on this laptop doing a quick search on google. also didn't see any xp drivers when i checked toshiba's site for this model only vista.

so have CC PM BB and still get the rebate?

Yeah I had no problem with the PM this morning.

I checked out back in the computer section and then while I was waiting to pick it up I went up to CS and whipped out the BB flyer and said I'd like to pricematch this. She asked if there was any rebates and pulled a wab of paper out of my pocket and said "yeah, theres a rebate for the printer, and the software" and I fumbled around acting like I was checking the model # of the printer to the paper and she bought it.

Took a total of 4 minutes and i was refunded $116.xx.

One thing make sure when you send in your rebates you send in the form from the website and not the form that prints out.

The form that prints out states the following:

"Advertised rebate amount assumes payment of Circuit City's before-rebate advertised price. Circuit City reserves the right to reduce the fulfilled rebate amount based on price adjustments and/or price matches made on qualifying items."

But the rebate form online does not state this. So use the online form and make photocopies of everything!

Now had they denied the price match I would have returned the laptop and tried at a different store. But so far the last two times I've done this on Toshiba laptops the CC closest to me price matches without incident. As well my rebates have come as well and I've so far (knock on wood) never had to call the rebate center because I was denied for invalid purchase price. I think it all has to do with the rebate form you send it. Oh and I use a copy of the original recepit that shows the $649 purchase price, not the adjusted receipt.

HTH

Looks like a good deal for basic everyday use Email, Office Apps, etc. (ex: for the parents). I would upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB though.

stopped by the local BB today, they have em instock..decent lookin lappy

Anyone know if you can get Windows XP drivers for this laptop?

I checked the Toshiba site and they only have Vista Drivers.

Looking for a laptop lighter then my XPS M170 to carry around for classes and work and don't want to use beta os in case it foofoos or something. Might have to try the circuit city price match thing.

I think you probably could play WoW on it as WoW ran on my old p3 with 512 meg of ram and a geforce 2 go. but it wouldn't run very well at all especially on vista with 512 meg of ram.

Could you run wow on this?
Not very well at all. The X200m isn't a great graphics chipset, and more specifically, with only 512 mb of system ram, you don't have enough ram to do wow well.

Nice deal IMO, I don't use a laptop for games or any other graphically intensive stuff, literally something to use when I'm away from my desktop (and the ancient computer in my office that I can't even bribe someone take take away with Win2k and 128mb of ram takes 5 minutes just to boot up!). Of course this deal does piss me off since less than 2 years ago, my Acer Aspire, with a 1.5Mhz CentrinoM processor cost $1k. But yanno what, it runs MS Office fine, internet is fine, everything is fine except games that require the muscle of a dedicated graphics card.

Nice deal IMO, I don't use a laptop for games or any other graphically intensive stuff, literally something to use when I'm away from my desktop (and the ancient computer in my office that I can't even bribe someone take take away with Win2k and 128mb of ram takes 5 minutes just to boot up!). Of course this deal does piss me off since less than 2 years ago, my Acer Aspire, with a 1.5Mhz CentrinoM processor cost $1k. But yanno what, it runs MS Office fine, internet is fine, everything is fine except games that require the muscle of a dedicated graphics card.

Why should this piss you off? You're mad that you paid more for a lesser computer more than a year ago? Welcome to the world of computers! You act like you've never bought a computer before.

Why should this piss you off? You're mad that you paid more for a lesser computer more than a year ago? Welcome to the world of computers! You act like you've never bought a computer before.
Yeah basically, I'm pissed off I paid almost twice as much for half the juice... and yes I didn't expect them to be high, but geeze laptops have dropped in price a lot recently, I'd have to guess it went hand in hand with LCD price drops, used to be you couldn't buy a 15" LCD for less than $300, then before you know 19" LCDs are going in the $200 price range.

I see that the memory is PC4200. Does anybody know if this is the same size as the ones for Desktop? I know most laptop memory is specialized but am not sure for cost purposes if they utilize the same sizes now.

I see that the memory is PC4200. Does anybody know if this is the same size as the ones for Desktop? I know most laptop memory is specialized but am not sure for cost purposes if they utilize the same sizes now.

Memory is NOT the same physical specification. Laptops take 200-pin SO-DIMM memory.

Anyone know if the memory is one stick of 512 or two 256?

Also anyone know if you can get xp drivers? The toshiba site only lists vista drivers :(

Back