Toshiba 4k 65" TV image issue

cennis

Limp Gawd
The TV is Toshiba 65" 4k exclusive to bestbuy.
I did some further testing as something in the image was really bothering me.
I took a few close up photos and I can confirm this is an RGB panel. But something still didn't look right.
I then did a few comparison to a 38.5" 1080P insignia TV that I use as a monitor daily. This is an RGB panel as well. There shouldn't be a very significant difference in per pixel size since 38.5*2 = 67".
I attached a comparison image, Left side is 1080p insignia and right side is toshiba 65" 4k

I am using 100% windows scaling on both so it should be as sharp as it can get, with the native resolution of each TV.
I circled the items that showed the most difference, some colors on the toshiba doesn't look solid, looks like a mess of colored dots, while insignia looked relatively solid. desktop icons that should be straight edges (Adobe) also looked jagged. I have used quite a few TV/monitors in the past but have never seen such artifacts before.

I also tested again with my insignia 1080p, by no means a high end display. If a series of pixels are of the same color, such as a SOLID gray line, the key is to use a repeating pattern of the exact same 1 pixel, which results in the line looking the same everywhere, instead of dashed. In the case of a chrome address bar, it was mainly RG and very dim for blue, which produces a grey color overall, and it repeats that one pixel for ever. But for this Toshiba display, it uses a repeating 4 pixel pattern. Which includes two pixels that are mainly G (RB are very dim), followed two pixels that are mainly RB (G was very dim), this results in the line being not solid.

This also affects any area of a flat, non textured, color. i.e. when you highlight some text, the blue should be flat and smooth, or the colors in the "Google" logo, that means each pixel should be exactly the same. However, on this toshiba display, it uses a weird pattern that gives the flat colors a rough texture.

text_3840_30hz.jpg

side_by_side.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

Just a quick shot in the dark, but seems like 4:4:4 isn't being used on the 65"

People reported the same strange "dithered" look with Insignia TVs. Bargain basement TVs keep finding new ways to screw things up.

Well that looks like hell... Does the TV have a "PC" mode to enable? Or are some weird processing modes enabled that you can turn off?

Also it could be a color space issue, however that normally wouldn't show in large blocks of flat color.

Just a quick shot in the dark, but seems like 4:4:4 isn't being used on the 65"
Yeah this is not 4:4:4, but I'm not sure if its the culprit.

People reported the same strange "dithered" look with Insignia TVs. Bargain basement TVs keep finding new ways to screw things up.
Maybe i wasn't clear, but the issue is with the Toshiba 65" 4k TV, the Insignia works fine.

Well that looks like hell... Does the TV have a "PC" mode to enable? Or are some weird processing modes enabled that you can turn off?

Also it could be a color space issue, however that normally wouldn't show in large blocks of flat color.
This is using PC mode already, its makes the image sharper than the other modes. Other modes does not fix this either, it just makes the lines less sharp, but not any more solid. With all enhancements off, sharpness to 0. Sharpness goes between -25 and + 25, I while it does something, it does not affect the issue I am seeing.

Last edited:
You were clear. I was referring to new (2016) 4K Insignias, not the one you have.
That makes sense. Though this Toshiba is produced by Bestbuy according to the manual so it may be just an insignia with the Toshiba brand slapped on after all.

EDIT: Thanks for your input, it lead me to find this post Insignia 4k 43" Roku + HDMI 4:4:4 (Cheap and 4:4:4). Which is displaying the same exact issue as mine. This just confirms that its not my PC hardware or my unit being a lemon.:) I was having trouble finding anyone having the same issue online.

Last edited:
Back