Toshiba 3TB USB 3.0 external $110

prices seem to have finally dropped to where they were if not slightly better pre-flood

Relevant info from a user review:

CrystalDiskInfo shows the drive as a Hitachi HDS5C3030BLE630. It is difficult to find much info on this drive. But I found a picture of one on E b ay that was pulled from the case. The sticker said both Toshiba and Hitachi on it. It is made in China by Hitachi Global. This gave another number of DT01ABA300. Googling a search for "toshiba dt01aba" and clicking on the X-bit labs link gives better info. It says that the Toshiba DT01ABA hard drives sport Serial ATA 6Gb/s interface, 32MB cache and 1TB platters. I wanted 1TB platters! I was after this drive because it only uses 3 platters and it spins at 5940 RPM!

This external model is the only reliable way to get the 1TB platter version of this drive right now. I know a few people that are buying them and taking out the drives for their home storage servers. For people that love the hitachi drives, this is a great purchase. 1TB platters and 5900 rpm = great for home media storage.

Newegg and amazon are both $110 right now. I ordered a few from amazon because they tend to pack the drives better and I'll get it faster with prime.

Pretty damn tempting.. I think my wife would shoot me if I ordered 6 of them though.

Pretty damn tempting.. I think my wife would shoot me if I ordered 6 of them though.

Either you have 18TB to play with or you will be drinking beer with angels. I don't see the loss proposition here. Do you?

How do the hitachi drives in these compare to WD red drives for raid/storage server purposes?

work fine, hitachi has never nuttered their drives like other companies to make them non-raid friendly.

i have about....23 hitachi drives from 500G to 2T in raid storage boxes at work with out issues.

do the drive inside the enclosure have their own warranty? ie you can still rma them if you take them out of the enclosure?

Doh I might have to buy one for a new storage drive sick deal for 3tb

Back