TOSHIBA 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive $119.99FS

I actually just picked 1 of these up for $109.99 with coupon code VALPAK10

Welcome to pre flood prices ladies and gents :)

BTW these are re-branded Hitachi drives that use the new 1TB per platters. Look up HDS723030BLE640 for more info. Also this is retail so it actually comes with good packaging so newegg can't skimp on that like they usually do with the hard drives I order. 3 year Warranty vs 1 year if you got the 3TB external one for $10 cheaper

Last edited:
Nice price for a 3TB. Too nice to resist with the coupon code, actually, so I'm in for one.

Thanks! :cool:

Hate to be a thread bummer...

But wouldn't others agree Toshiba makes the worse reliable consumer level hdds?

I think the majority of bad hdds I replace the last 5 years were Toshibas.

Hate to be a thread bummer...

But wouldn't others agree Toshiba makes the worse reliable consumer level hdds?

I think the majority of bad hdds I replace the last 5 years were Toshibas.

Before making assumptions it helps to understand the subject and the background. These are rebadged Hitachi's, as Toshiba received HGST's plant as a condition of the WDC buyout. You can read all the details here in the storage forum or google.

Hitachi's and in turn these 3TB Toshiba's are EXCELLENT drives.

Before making assumptions it helps to understand the subject and the background. These are rebadged Hitachi's, as Toshiba received HGST's plant as a condition of the WDC buyout. You can read all the details here in the storage forum or google.

Yep, which is the reason I picked up 6 to add to my raidz2 a few months back :D

Ah my mistake. Though I'm still not a fan of Toshiba drives.

However seeing these are re-badge Hitachi, I might pick up two. :)

Just finished thoroughly testing the 2 I picked up last week, amazing drives. Picked up another for only $15 more, well worth it for the quality. Even though these things were retail packaged newegg still managed to pack them horribly. Could of been worse I suppose, they could of just put a plastic bag and a postage sticker on the drive and said "here you go". Staples loves doing that.

Are there comparisons between these and the WD Reds? Performance? Reliability?

The Red's are 5400 RPM whereas these are 7200, speed wise the Toshiba/Hitachi will beat them every time. Both have 3 year warranties and 3 platter designs. What initially got me was the retail packaging these came in, the reviews (not 1 person had a DOA which is astounding) and the price. They are also running cool, currently show them at 35c. These are the first drives I have ever purchased for myself that aren't WD (well technically they are since they purchased Toshiba) so I was kinda nervous but after sending the same drives back (3 black editions and the same green drive twice) I got fed up and wanted something new.

From my personal experience with WD it seems they have good batches of drives and bad. I have six 1.5 TB green drives that have been working flawless so far for the last 2 and a half years but all my 1.5 TB blacks eventually died along with a green and 1 that was damaged from crappy newegg shipping.

Are these good for NAS 24/7 use? There is a new review on newegg that talked about lack of support from Toshiba (no surprise).

Are these good for NAS 24/7 use? There is a new review on newegg that talked about lack of support from Toshiba (no surprise).

I would suggest to contact the actual manufacture, Hitachi, as they were the ones who actually made the drive. If you look up the serial # on the Hitachi site it shows the Toshiba drive under warranty by them so I don't see why that person never contacted them. I use these drives in a 8 bay USB 3.0 JBOD so I can't really speak for the NAS part. Looks like 1 reviewer is using these in a NAS:

Other Thoughts: I have purchased (6) of these 3TB drives and (2) 2TB drives over the last year. I have had no problems with any of them. I zero filled each drive (data scrubbed) as preparation for my Synology NAS's. They run quiet and cool and I have had no volumes drop out of my RAID1 and RAID5 systems.

Back