Torrent Downloading speed

SVTLightning

Limp Gawd
I have 1.5mb/s DSL and downloading torrent files is SLOW. I usually average 150kb/s downloads but BT is giving me 10 - 15kb/s. Is there ANY way to speed it up?

Like Tek said, the number of seeds is key. Unless you've got it improperly configured (I wouldn't know how, but it might be worth checking around if the low speeds persist on different torrents), that will be the deciding factor.

i dl'd azureus and got slightly better download speeds. it helped after i configured the ports correctly on my router as well.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

you need the client and the java runtimes as well. best client out there at the moment.

Originally posted by s8n
i dl'd azureus and got slightly better download speeds. it helped after i configured the ports correctly on my router as well.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

you need the client and the java runtimes as well. best client out there at the moment.
yep. make sure you got your forts porwarded. bt depends on ul for dl

having your ports forwarded also ensures that you can connect to people who are behind firewalls. (Can't transfer between two closed firewalls)

personally I kind of like Shadowe's experimental better. Azureus seems to make mycpu sting at 100% with java runtime. after a fe hours it'll max out at 100%. and I don't notice any difference in speeds.

anyone else notice huge processor usage? I got a 1.4ghz t-bird

PS: Btw, I noticed your nickname. I've owned a 99 black Lightning since well 99. Nice to see a fellow owner. I go by the same nick on www.nloc.net and f150online.com forums

I don't really see that this thread has diddly to do with hardware, so I'm moving it to networking in case anyone has any insights into your download speeds.

And just a reminder that while discussing the use of p2p/file sharing programs is allowed here, if "warez" enters the equation in any way, shape or form, it becomes dead meat, ok?

unoid, check out the forums @ the azereus homepage. i had that prob every now n then and the forums helped :)

i also use shadow's experimental.. and the speed definently depends on how many seeds and users there are, cause sometimes i get like 5 down, and others i get like 170. though i do get pissed when i see total torrent speed like 800k and i'm gettin like 5..

I don't want to be mean or anything and you've probably thought of this but just to check. Are you sure your not used to 150 kb/s downloads and the torrents are giving you 15 kB/s now since that would be about 120 kb/s then and those numbers would make since.

Otherwise if you have a router as said the port forwarding is important. Good Luck.

Back