Toronto Residents Are Worried About a Google Urban Complex

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As previously reported, Google is building a cutting edge smart city in Toronto, Canada. Featuring apartments, offices, shops, and schools inside a 12 acre area, the development project will be stuffed with technology like smart sidewalks and networked trash cans. However, in light of recent privacy concerns surrounding Google, Toronto residents are starting to wonder who will control all that data gathered from the tech. The people behind the project seemingly resent the association with Alphabet's data mining tendencies, claiming they don't intend to give up "the privacy and security that everyone deserves." That hasn't stopped prominent Toronto developers, government experts, and even Blackberry's former chief from raising serious red flags.

"How can (Waterfront Toronto), a corporation established by three levels of democratically elected government, have shared values with a limited, for-profit company whose premise is embedded data collection?" Di Lorenzo asked.

Don't these people understand that every piece of data they give up is a choice?

In order to prevent abuse and leakage of data, Google has decided to send all the data to me. If you send me all your personal information in advance, I can get you an extra 1Tb of storage on Drive. Thank you Toronto!!

Well, if they are nice condo's in an upscale neighborhood with good schools etc. etc. and price tag was much lower than a comparable, non-data mined community, I would absolutely consider it.

For all intent and purpose you would be selling Google your data.

Well what do you expect when you get in bed with a demon? Its horns are gonna poke you in some sensitive areas ;).

Had to do a triple take when I read that. :p

This one is actually a pretty good idea. Why bother to pay someone to go around and check all those bins when you can just have them tell you when they are getting full. Then you can schedule a pickup based on historical trends. More efficient, saves the city money in the long run.

What the hell did they think it would be? It's a data mine for humans. They need it to perfect the battery technology.

matrix batteries.jpg

Google ( too ) are building data centers here, and i really wish they wouldn't.
I can only see bad in google - facetwitt - amazon ASO rolling in to my little "town", with their parasitic MO they are going to steamroll us.
Not to mention they are going to steal all our green power, and for what they give in return thats a very bad investment.

12 acres isnt a city its like 4 or 5 blocks, dont want google collecting data, dont go into that small part of the city.

So they're worried that google isn't sjw enough for them?

Don't these people understand that every piece of data they give up is a choice?

Not if data collection becomes embedded in our city's basic infrastructure.

You wont be able to walk through this development without having data collected on you in one form or another.

12 acres isnt a city its like 4 or 5 blocks, dont want google collecting data, dont go into that small part of the city.

And when it expands to 10 blocks? 30 blocks? It's a slippery fucking slope. You dont think that Google will be satisfied with a couple of blocks do you?

And when it expands to 10 blocks? 30 blocks? It's a slippery fucking slope. You dont think that Google will be satisfied with a couple of blocks do you?
Slippery slope? That a private development makes the development in their own image? Yeah... no it's not a slippery slope. This at the worse is a fancy tech demo, this is like Google fiber in that they'll figure out how fucking expensive it is to build this shit (yes even for Google) and things will move at a snails pace. This is to show off to building developers and cities how you can make... something... (not sure what exactly it is), and much like the whole requiring solar panels on roofs, and very few places will be able to build EXPENSIVE high tech areas "like this"(??) in large quantities.

There's plenty of times there's no choice. Such as when Google tracks your mobile device even though you have location services turned off. That's the problem, when choice ceases.

The fallacy with that is that laws change, but records can be kept permanently. What may be legal now, might be illegal in the future, and the past could mark you as a "bad" individual, Ala how it's working in China right now.

Hasn't Google's official line always been "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"? Use duckduckgo, folks.

Not if data collection becomes embedded in our city's basic infrastructure.

You wont be able to walk through this development without having data collected on you in one form or another.

And when it expands to 10 blocks? 30 blocks? It's a slippery fucking slope. You don't think that Google will be satisfied with a couple of blocks do you?

PPL still think like frogs

oh its only a few degrees hotter no problem
Shit I'm boiling how did it come so far...

Back