Torn between push or pull with my top ran in a HAF X.

criccio

Fully Equipped
(just realized I misspelled the title.)

I just installed my CPU only loop in my new HAF X last night.

Since the RX240 won't fit between the top of the case and the plastic top panel, I put the fans there (Akasa Apache's) and put the rad inside the case itself. I have the Apache's pushing cool air from outside the case through the rad.

What is the consensus on this?

If you can, why not add some fans on the inside too for push-pull?

Personally I'd change the top fans to pull since the HAF X has a good amount of intake and you're just dumping heat back into the case from the rad.

Can't do push/pull because the rad is so thick, the second set of fans would hit my mobo. I'm seriously considering replacing it with a 3/120mm rad that is thinner.

And I will try flipping the fans around and post back if temps improve.

If you can fit some 38mm fans up top where you have your 25mm fans get those and put them in pull config. A fan controller would be helpful too.

I would keep your RX240 rather than swapping it for a 34mm thick rad. If you do want to switch to a 34mm rad though I'll trade you my XSPC RS240 for it :)

If I was going to swap out the rad it would be with a 3x120mm as it seems this case will swallow one nicely in the top. Thanks though!

Curious as to what you found out by swapping your fans around. I have a dual 120mm rad with fans pushing air across the radiator and venting into the case. This way it pulls cooler air from outside the case and the exhaust fan out the back of the case does a good job on removing the hot air from the rad. I did try it the other way at first and my water temp was another 5 C warmer due to the ambient inside my case being warmer. The northbridge on my Asus P5N board is one hot sucka and before I did water cooling my little corner where I have my tower setting felt like an oven with just air cooling. If your nb doesn't run as hot, you may not see an extreme difference as I did. ( nforce 680i btw )

I would really like to see a picture of your setup if you do not mind criccio. Considering something similar ATM..

yeah that looks good. i think hes got it right, assuming those fans are pulling air out of the case.

Back