Torn AW3423DW or LG C2 42 or Asus ROG OLED

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Have had the AW3420DW for almost two years now, and it's been great, no problems.

But I really like OLED and got the 65" C2 OLED for my Great Room and it's just amazing. Huge upgrade from my 2019 Vizio. Even my wife, who is not a techie said she immediately noticed the improved quality, while streaming our sci-fi or fantasy shows.

So I did buy the LG C2 42-in last month. But I returned it, maybe too quickly, only a couple days into it. I did all the settings and tweaks per the YouTube reviewers and my main beef was the colors. They seem drab and washed out, not at all vibrant or punchy. Or the blacks? Yes those look amazing. Dark scenes or movies unbelievably great. But for some reason playing world of Warcraft and other games. The colors just looked okay. Kind of weak.

I went back to my 34-in ultra wide. And thought, let me try something else.

I always wanted to try the 38-in ultra wide so I picked up the AW3821 DW. Got it on sale at Microcenter for $899. Immediately. I was absolutely in love with the size, just the perfect size for a gaming display on your desk. Yeah it's big, but not too big and nicer than 34 in which sometimes just feels a bit too small. But as great as this monitor looked, the size is perfect, bur the image quality was very weak. No blacks whatsoever. Everything was a dark gray or even light gray and the colors seemed very washed out. And backlight blade big time. So I love the size but the image quality was not great at all. So returned it.

Now I'm debating trying out the AW3423DW? Or try the LG C2 42-in one more time and really play with those settings to get a punchier colorful image. Because I mainly play RPG's World of Warcraft and New World now, and a large screen like that really helps the immersion in those type of fantasy games.

But that is a huge monitor. My monitors only sit maybe two feet to my face. And I am pretty comfortable with a 34-in ultra wide size. It does seem almost perfect. I just wish it was bigger, it is a bit too small. I play some shooters. I do like to play Doom Eternal and used to play Battlefield destiny 2, I think the ultra wide is perfect for that.

So...

Last edited:
Since you already returned the LG, may as well try the Alienware OLED? I'm having trouble seeing how you got "drab" colors on that C2. Perhaps your settings weren't correct? My old CRT only gets around 3500:1 contrast and it looks punch as hell, so I can't imagine that C2 not popping.

My only thing, the 34" Ultrawide size I already have and am used too, but kind of want something larger.

But conflicted because I'm a sucker for the OLED tech and super smooth fluid gaming.

Part of me thinks the AW3423DW is best for first person shooters, Doom Eternal, Destiny 2, etc...

But a 4k display seems best for RTS, and RPGs which I play a lot. Mostly World of Warcraft, especially if there's a new expansion release, then I'm hooked for a good 4+ months.

But I also wanna get Halo Infinite for the CoOp to play together with my son, as well as Warhammer 40k: Darktide.

This winter I will be playing;

World of Warcraft Dragonflight
Halo Infinite CoOp
Warhammer 40k: Darktide

And give New World MMO a try

So which monitor is best for those?

Besides Halo, I've got the same list of upcoming games in my head. I just tried triple 42" Asus and they felt a little too overwhelming so I'll be sticking with my 48" CX.

I play pretty much everything at 3840x1600...it feels like everything supports 21:9 these days and you're getting something like a 45" 1600p view with the 48". If you're in a smaller space, there's nothing wrong with using the 42" in exactly the same way and just having it a little closer. When I'm just doing random things or on the computer or playing an RTS, I sometimes switch to full screen using HRC (hotkey resolution changer). I have Win+1 as 16:9 and Win+2 as 21:9 and they switch almost instantly. I also work off the display at full resolution from my laptop.

Someone on Reddit said if World of Warcraft is your game, stay far away from OLED displays.

Says after 200 hours playing WoW his 48X OLED has burn-in from the static icon images.

I don't know how I lived through 7 years with 2 OLEDs that constantly have Windows taskbar on without burn-in. Also without any kind of screensaver running built-in or by Windows. Might be doing something wrong... Maybe should try unplugging it from the AC socket after use or smth.

Another Reddit guy replied to me;

"You're going to get burn in playing wow. I'd recommend getting a separate monitor for mmo's."

"You're going to get burn in playing wow. I'd recommend getting a separate monitor for mmo's."

Not sure how he used his OLED but one of my buddies is a heavy FFIXV player and has put thousands of hours of it on his CX without any burn in, and that game has just as many if not more static UI elements.

EDIT: I should also mention that my buddy does not have HDR turned on for his CX (FFXIV is an old SDR game anyways and nearly every other game he plays does not have native HDR support to begin with, he just loves the OLED pixel response and true blacks.) and he runs a relatively low brightness of around 125 nits. Perhaps that helps in holding back the burn in.

Last edited:
I'm really torn now LOL eBay has a deal for brand new C2 42's for like $920, or get the AW3423DW for $1300, but I'm really worried about that monitor with the burn-in scares I read about, and something about screens being messed up due t shipping wrap or bubble wrap?

I'm really torn now LOL eBay has a deal for brand new C2 42's for like $920, or get the AW3423DW for $1300, but I'm really worried about that monitor with the burn-in scares I read about, and something about screens being messed up due t shipping wrap or bubble wrap?

Alienware has a 3 year warranty that also covers burn in, but if you want your display to last longer than that then really your only other option to is to get a C2 with the 5 year burn in warranty from Bestbuy and that's about as good as it's gonna get for dealing with burn in.

I've been using my AW3423DW since March, 12-16 hours a day every day with a static task bar and browser windows and no burn in or image retention.
BD634884-BD0D-4BB8-85EE-E3CE62B87402.jpeg

I tell anyone so concerned with burn in that is causes purchase paralysis like this to not touch OLED. You will be miserable using it in constant paranoia.

Buy a LCD and enjoy it worry free. Besides that, WoW looks like ass and no amount of contrast or peak brightness will matter. Priority for ancient MMO like that is usability/comfort, not image quality.

I bit the bullet and picked up the AW3423DW at Microcenter, with their 2 year warranty, which they say will cover anything and everything you bring it in with the slightest of blemish and they'll give you the latest current model for no charge.

So let's see how this goes? I did try the LG C2 42" last month and it was just a little too big for me as my desk is shallow and the display is right in front of my face. And I didn't like how it felt more like a big TV connected to my computer. Not a dedicated PC monitor. But it did give a very nice image. Don't get me wrong the C2 is pretty sweet. I'm not knocking it, if I don't end up liking this Alienware I would most likely go back to the 42-in C2.

But a benefit, 3440 X 1440 is easier to run.

I will also say my brief time with the AW3821DW is that 38" for me it's pretty much the sweet spot. The perfect size. I find 34-in just a little too small, and 42-in is a bit too big, having to move my head left and right and up and down to see it all.

A 38" OLED would be my dream display

I'm excited to try this AW3423DW out. Wanna see the OLED gameplay.

But my mind is already thinking the 34" Ultrawide size is still a bit small and narrow, which it's the same as my current AW3420DW I've had for two years, and I do like, but always think something bigger is better.

But then I did try the LG C2 42 and found that just too large for my short desk, with the display just an arms length or a bit more away from my face.

LOL I'm never satisfied. But I keep saying a 38" to 40" Ultrawide OLED would be pretty much perfect.

34" a bit too small, and 42" is a kinda large for my situation. Need a middle ground size between the two with QD-OLED tech.

LOL my kids looking at my new monitor. My teenage daughter, who's also a gamer, she has an older Acer Predator 34" Ultrawide, she looked at my new AW3423DW, and was like "I don't see any difference, like it looks exactly like your old monitor" I said it has pitch black deep inky blacks now, and more vibrant colors, and she was like "Uh, ok..."

Then I payed World of Warcraft and she said "Oh crap, WOW that's very colorful, and super clear, looks amazing, but also that's way too bright, blinding bright Dad"

Then my 7th grader son, he's a gamer too, uses my old 40" 4k Philips 60hz monitor, he sees the monitor, and says "Dad, is that your new monitor? Doesn't look any different than the old one" I said look at this OLED black wallpaper I have, my son says "Ok, I guess it's deeper and darker". But he didn't see me load up any games yet.

Monitor does look cool:

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_040314535.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221020_040314535.PORTRAIT.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20221020_040229536.jpg
    PXL_20221020_040229536.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20221020_040218065.jpg
    PXL_20221020_040218065.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 1
Honest impressions so far. I like the AW3423DW, but not blown away by it either.

Yes the perfect deep blacks are amazing. It gets awfully bright too, meaning specific highlights of colors are piercing bright. The colors are good, but my AW3420DW also had vibrant good colors too.

Played Doom Eternal, CB2077, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft on it briefly so far, and it does look really good, but not jaw droppingly amazing good compared to my old monitor.

I think it being the exact same size display as my old screen doesn't help my opinion of it being night and day better, it's the exact same 34" Ultrawide size, and design with both being Alienware brand. I think I want something larger now, not just the same with better display tech.

I need some more time with this monitor to form my final opinions.

Honest impressions so far. I like the AW3423DW, but not blown away by it either.

Yes the perfect deep blacks are amazing. It gets awfully bright too, meaning specific highlights of colors are piercing bright. The colors are good, but my AW3420DW also had vibrant good colors too.

Played Doom Eternal, CB2077, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft on it briefly so far, and it does look really good, but not jaw droppingly amazing good compared to my old monitor.

I think it being the exact same size display as my old screen doesn't help my opinion of it being night and day better, it's the exact same 34" Ultrawide size, and design with both being Alienware brand. I think I want something larger now, not just the same with better display tech.

I need some more time with this monitor to form my final opinions.

If you're unimpressed by the monitor just consider it a blessing in disguise as now you can return it and save yourself $1300+ lol. One of my relatives couldn't believe that I spent $1500+tax for a 48" TV (LG CX) and said that his $500 55" TCL looks the same, but I know it doesn't. Everyone's different that's all.

Right now leaning going back to 42".

Should I try the Asus ROG OLED? With it being more a true PC monitor. Or just get the more affordable LG C2 42? But it's a TV not a true PC display.

Right now leaning going back to 42".

Should I try the Asus ROG OLED? With it being more a true PC monitor. Or just get the more affordable LG C2 42? But it's a TV not a true PC display.

Personally I would go with the C2 just because of the current price gap between the two. The C2 can be had for ~$900-$1000 while you can expect to pay the full $1400 for the Asus. To me the hundreds extra that I would need to spend to have monitor features isn't worth it. For $1400 you could even get a C2 from Bestbuy and add in a 5 year burn in warranty for the same cost.

You're going to be flip flopping until the end of time.

Get a C2 with Geeksquad warranty once it drops to $899-999 for Black Friday and permanently use it at 3840x1600 as a almost 38" OLED.

Ok after many monitor purchases and returns / exchanges the past month, I'm satisfied and happy with the Asus ROG 42" OLED.

The immersion factor is times 11. The OLED colors and deep blacks pretty much there with the AW3423DW, but on a much larger screen that makes you feel you can jump inside.

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_013411194.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_013411194.PORTRAIT.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_012558172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_012558172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_012415363.jpg
    PXL_20221022_012415363.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Zahua
like this
And then I loved it :)

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_185432109.jpg
    PXL_20221023_185432109.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221023_181210017.jpg
    PXL_20221023_181210017.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_133826520.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_133826520.PORTRAIT.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_133714186.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_133714186.PORTRAIT.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 0
Is the 42" size too large? Yeah probably. Is the 34" Ultrawide size too small and narrow? Yes.

I still think an in-between size would be perfect, like 38", but I can't go back to a 34" size, just tiny now.

But this 42" sure gives you that ncie immerision feel like nothing else I've used. Playing first person shooters, you feel like your inside the world, the games come alive, where my 34" never gave me that feel. And I had my 34" UW moved very close on the desk, a 30" deep desk, It was probably set about 25" back or so, and with the way the monitor is, the screen itself protrudes out a lot further / closer. My point even with the 34" Ultrawide very close to my face, it just doesn't give nowhere near the same immersion.

Is the 42" size too large? Yeah probably. Is the 34" Ultrawide size too small and narrow? Yes.

I still think an in-between size would be perfect, like 38", but I can't go back to a 34" size, just tiny now.

But this 42" sure gives you that ncie immerision feel like nothing else I've used. Playing first person shooters, you feel like your inside the world, the games come alive, where my 34" never gave me that feel. And I had my 34" UW moved very close on the desk, a 30" deep desk, It was probably set about 25" back or so, and with the way the monitor is, the screen itself protrudes out a lot further / closer. My point even with the 34" Ultrawide very close to my face, it just doesn't give nowhere near the same immersion.

Personally I never understood the whole idea of "Monitor too big/small? Just move it closer/further away!" It really doesn't work like that. You cannot just turn a 13 inch laptop display into a larger home theatre experience just by shoving it right against your eyeballs. The right size does indeed matter.

Personally I never understood the whole idea of "Monitor too big/small? Just move it closer/further away!" It really doesn't work like that. You cannot just turn a 13 inch laptop display into a larger home theatre experience just by shoving it right against your eyeballs. The right size does indeed matter.

Good way to explain it.

But I will say this 42" OLED is very immersive and fun to look at. Games look out of this world.

At a point, yeah. 13" is hard to make "big enough"

But small screen can still be very immersive, just by sitting closer. This is what I've always done with my 21" Diamondtron CRT, even when playing 16:9 letterboxed games from console. My face is usually about a foot and a half away.

I've learned with my 48" OLED that the size factor disappears after a few minutes. What matters are other aspects of the image, as well as just art and sound direction. I do sit about 4 feet away from it because I'm not interested in needing to move my head to see all of the screen

Returned the Asus ROG 42" OLED, and went back to the Alienware 38" Ultrawide LOL

Few reasons didn't like the Asus 42", number one the size, on my desk, which is 28" deep, even pushed all the way back it was just too big, I would be looking up and down to see all of it. But mostly, I realized I like 21:9 over 16:9 aspect ratio. Having an Ultrawide for a few years now, I have become accustomed to that UW view, and 16:9 everything looks so big, large and blown up in size, whereas in 21:9, game UIs and characters look more compact and tighter and I just prefer that look much more than the oversized inflated look 16:9 gives me.

Yes the OLED blacks are AMAZING, look so good, and the AW3821DW sucks for deep blacks, this monitor just can't do black to save it's life LOL. But colors and vibrancy and punchy reds and blues, once calibrated the Alienware gives a very pretty image.

I mostly play World of Warcraft and New World now, and those games are more outdoors and have bright colors and natural settings, very little deep dark parts of the game. So OLED blacks just don't matter as much, because in these MMOs it's not really there. But having a bright display with punchy colors are important, and this 38 AW gives me that in spades easily.

And I just love this size, 38" Ultrawide to me is the darn near perfect size for a gaming display, I have it set back on my 28" deep desk, but the way the monitor is set on it's stand it's closer to me than the Asus 42 is with it's flush feet.

So yeah, this Alienware 38" Ultrawide is my keeper until an OLED version comes out in something larger than a 34" that is still UW and curved. I found 34" just too narrow and small, but 38" the sweet spot.

Back