Torchlight is available on Steam

Huge buzz being generated at the Steam forum, and at Relic's own forum - people are raving about it. Looks like a nice game for Halloween maybe?

just popped 2 hours into it as a mage.

Very similar to D2 which isn't a bad this. It has gambling, socketing, gems, rare and unique's, and pretty much everything D2 has.

Haven't found a flaw in the game just yet which is giving them some credit. I would say custom character creating but not a big deal for a single player.

Fucking cool game, I am just playing the demo still and loving it, at Level 3 there was a mad treasure chest that came running after me attacking me.

And it supported my 5760x1200res right at load up, didn't even need to set it to extra special stuff, it just recognized it perfectly, unlike Borderlands

2009-10-27202512.jpg

I'd like to purchase this directly from the developers and register it on Steam. Is that possible?

Or do I have to buy it through Steam? (developers get less money)

I doubt you can register it on Steam... pretty few games do that. If it makes you feel better though, the developers were encouraging people to buy on Steam, just so it gets more press that way.

Eyefinity looks sweet. This is isometric like TQ or D2 right? I was looking at the Wiki page and it said it was similar to isometric. I just need to make sure it's a fixed camera since I get simulator sickness.

Eyefinity looks sweet. This is isometric like TQ or D2 right? I was looking at the Wiki page and it said it was similar to isometric. I just need to make sure it's a fixed camera since I get simulator sickness.

That's my only beef with this game so far, the camera control is non existent and you can't move your character with the keyboard like an MMO. It is just left click and the character moves. That was cool in 1999, but in 2010 we need some good camera and character control.

No Multiplayer? That's a pass for me.

Have to agree with you there, this game just screams CoOp, running around the first few levels was fun, but kept thinking how it would look and be so much more fun with my two Brothers along side me.

I don't want to wait two years for the MMO version, I will go play LoTRO or WoW for my MMORPG fix, I never wanted Diablo or Titan Quest to be more than what they were, a good dungeon crawler, hack and slash to play with a small group of your buddies, that's what Torch Light could be, it would sell by the millions if they patched in basic CoOp Multiplayer, the graphics and look and feel already scream Diablo3 sort of, in a good way.

Been playing it for a couple of hours and just hit level 9. Pretty fun so far. Definitely a D2 clone, but I love this format so I give Torchlight a solid endorsement. Well worth a $20 spot. :)

Man... I just played the demo an I'm totally in love with it, but I know it won't sustain without online play. How hard would 4 player co-op have been? Damn!

This game is awesome. The lack of multiplayer does detract a bit, but it takes everything I loved about D2, improves on the stuff that I hated (like the UI and having to constantly restock my potions on my sash). There's even a "Shared stash" so you can transfer items you find on one char to another one. Very cool.

Highly recommended.

That's my only beef with this game so far, the camera control is non existent and you can't move your character with the keyboard like an MMO. It is just left click and the character moves. That was cool in 1999, but in 2010 we need some good camera and character control.
Well, it's not an MMO, so I don't see why it would have an MMO-style control scheme. That wouldn't fit the game style at all.

Mythos had the same control IIRC, which will hopefully be the same for their MMO.

Im an so upset i get all into the demo and it ends. I wish i had a spare 20 bucks :( Oh well i will just wait till thursday and buy it. back to borderlands.

Oh BTW great game. cant wait to finish it. anyone know how many game play hours this has?

You people passing it because it has no multiplayer are missing out. Not only do you get this Single player game for $20, you get the MMO version of FREE for buying the single player.

TB: ... They're going to be built with the same art style and the same world, and it's going to be for a free-to-play MMO, so it's not like we're really selling ourselves too short, I don't think.

MS: That's the other thing. For $20, they get the single-player game, the editor, and then a free MMO upgrade when it comes out in 18 months. [laughs]

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4173/working_by_torchlight.php - from an interview

This is a great game. Got my badass 2 pistol , rifle packin little hottie "rogue like" class with her cat kicking ass and taking names and up to level 12 already.

Game is just a nice, fun, mindless diversion and as an added bonus you get socketable items.
I really love that I can load my pet up with sell items and send him off to the merchant in town to sell all of the stuff I don't want, GENIOUS ! :eek:

Really love when the mobs swarm, it's barely controlled chaos !

These guys did a great job, Torchlight is the shiz. And,for just the cost of going to see a movie you get far more entertainment for your money. Brilliant ! :D

To the above poster that said it just scratches an itch that Titan Quest quite didn't scratch is dead on, Torchlight just does it right.

Anyway I digress, time to end the post as I seem to be close to gushing about this great little game. In my opinion it's a little jewel.:p

Is that a dog that's following the dude - shit that's cool!

The pet is a very cool addition...he can carry items and even run back to town on his own to sell off his inventory. He'll return in about a minute and give you the gold. You can also feed it various kinds of fish to temporarily transform it into different types of more powerful monsters.

Some other things I really like:
- shared stash for transferring items between characters
- dual leveling system (fame and xp) is cool...nice to get free skill points every once in a while
- dungeon maps for purchase makes it feel less linear
- skills seem to scale very well and looks like each has an actual purpose rather than just becoming pointless at high levels

Overall its very well done and definitely worth the cost. Who knows, maybe someone can mod in multiplayer while we wait for the mmo? Might be ambitious but who knows, maybe the tools are robust enough.

Question for people though: has anyone run this on a netbook with 2 gigs ram? I tried this on my 1 gig 10v and it was too choppy even on netbook mode and all lowest settings. Looking at the forums this seems normal, but everyone also seems to be using only 1 gig of ram.

Ill just echo what everyone else has been saying. Great game. I got my warrior to level 12 last night been having a blast.

This game looks intersting but there's too many games I've been buying lately. Luckily I managed to finish Uncharted 2 before I bought Demon's Souls but I pushed that aside for Borderlands which will probably be pushed aside when Dragon Age comes out next week. And then this game comes out... :(

I know I don't have to buy them as soon as they come out but I can't stop!

By the way, anyone here happen to know the total size of the download? Tempted to download to my laptop over my 3G connection at work.

I call shens on you sir. This is a breath of fresh air and I am glad there are no camera controls. You don't need them as its one less thing to fool with. Isometric fov FTW !!! It's also awesome that you can sit back with just a mouse and play this game with point/clicks.

I call shens on you sir. This is a breath of fresh air and I am glad there are no camera controls. You don't need them as its one less thing to fool with. Isometric fov FTW !!! It's also awesome that you can sit back with just a mouse and play this game with point/clicks.

QFFT! Isometric FTMFW! WoW fanbois need not apply!

This game is seriously awesome! It does not reinvent the wheel. Lets see here :

Good price? - Check.

Graphics? - Check. Can run on just about anything. And look acceptable.

Polish? - Check. This game is abound with polish. Has more polish than most $50.00 games out.

Gameplay? -Check. It's got that addictive gameplay you just cant put down. Everything is well though out and super accessible.

Bad Ass Legendary Music? - Check. Matt Uleman FTW!

Replayability - Check. So many freaking items! Devs has released the tools to the community to mod it up with no limitations.

No DRM? - Check!

I cant see whats not to love out of this gem.

I can't believe this game is only 20$ ! I would have paid 40$ no problem for this!

I played my Warrior up to level 12 yesterday. What a nice game. I remember paying 50-60$ for some game that were not that polished and fun...

Congrats to the dev. Awesome game for the price. Alot of fun! I just convinced 3 of my friends to buy it.

+1 to the guy who wrote Torchlight fills the void Titan Quest did not. TQ was okay. TL is fun. The addition of the dog/cat and firearms is great!

I'm really having a blast with Torchlight. Sure, it's a Diablo clone, but a great one at that! Haven't had this much fun with an isometric dungeon crawler since the original Diablo :D
And for 18, it was a steal.
Also, as a recovering WoW fanboy, I'm not sure if this is actually helping :p

Anyone else not able to get AA to work in the demo? I checked it, and it minimized the game as if it was changing a setting, then it went back into the menu and the AA box was still unchecked. I assume they wouldn't turn this off for the demo so I am not sure what is going on. I am on 2x GTX 275s.

Anyone else not able to get AA to work in the demo? I checked it, and it minimized the game as if it was changing a setting, then it went back into the menu and the AA box was still unchecked. I assume they wouldn't turn this off for the demo so I am not sure what is going on. I am on 2x GTX 275s.

I'm on a GTX 295, does the same for me, forcing in the nVidia controll panel seems to work.I'll have to test it when I get home from work tonight. And this is full version of the game.

I played around for an hour last night and am at Level 3. I really like this game. The allusions to Diablo are great as well.

The pet is neat, and if he can return to sell stuff in town that's awesome! I just wonder which game I'll be playing after I get Dragon Age next week. I've bought a lot of games this year.

Back