Top Three Most Over-Rated Games... In Your Opinion

WasntMe

[H]ard|Gawd
What are your top 3 most over-rated games you played? Friends talked about a game all damn day. You try it and you hate it.

What are your reasons?

1. Bioshock - Game was awesome in the beginning but highly repetitive and got boring fast.
2. Starcraft - Online mode sucks (IMO). Too many elitists and too many asshats.
3. Batman Arkum Asylum - Just couldn't get into it.

BONUS:
4. DAoC - Tried it several times and I just couldn't get into it. Too serious mode.

This thread may end up as a flame war but...

1. WoW - I do not like warcraft lore, nor do I like games designed to be easy enough that your kids and grandparents may like it.

2. Final Fantasy 7 - Hyped to the point that when I did play it and found out that it was just more JRPG repetition with prettier graphics I just simply didn't care. Also, overrated story.

3. Resident Evil (any) - Not scary, not interesting, poor gameplay. Silent Hill 1-2 were much more my style.

3. Resident Evil (any) - Not scary, not interesting, poor gameplay. Silent Hill 1-2 were much more my style.

What are you smoking? The original Resident Evil was far better than Silent Hill every was. There is just something about that mansion.

The series went downhill after the first one I'll give you that.

What are you smoking? The original Resident Evil was far better than Silent Hill every was. There is just something about that mansion.

The series went downhill after the first one I'll give you that.

It's his opinion fool!! Read the OP.

Quit thread crappin, what are your top 3?

I don't really understand all of the love for the Call of Duty games, regardless of platform.
From there I'd probably go with Killer Instinct (a horrid excuse for a fighting game) and finally I'd choose the Sims just because I don't need to work and micro-manage "for fun" while I'm playing games.
I guess for that matter, I don't like MMOs of any sort.

GTA series
COD post MW (yes, the other ones were better than MW at their time)
I can't think of a third.

I just kind of get the impression that anyone that dislikes Starcraft is not a fan of the genre. Starcraft 2 is currently the epitome of the RTS genre, aside from nagging Battle.net issues.

Might not be "most overrated" ever, but these popped into my head as some recent ones (no particular order):

- Medal of Honor (2010)
- Bioshock
- Metro 2033

1. WoW - I do not like warcraft lore, nor do I like games designed to be easy enough that your kids and grandparents may like it.

I don't know any children or grandparents who have herald of the titans or have done herioc LK, I will say WoW is slightly overrated though. Also people saying SC need to GTFO, it was a genuinely good game.

1. Bioshock... this game was fucking BORING. Art does not make a game fun.
2. I'll think of more on my way home.

1: Halo
2: GTA Series
3: Diablo 2 - I liked the single player side and played through once but I though online was overrated

Games from Call of duty would fill up more than three. Pick your own top 3 from the series.

Bioshock for sure. Story was alright and all but it wasnt the end all be all. I mean I beat that whole mother fucker with shock, wrench, hacking and some thompson.

1. All CoD past 4 - To pick 1 specifically: MW2
2. Final Fantasy 11
3. Gears of War

Halo. Never lived up to the damn hype... and boy was it hyped.

Doom 3. Just fond this kinda... meh. Lots of talk, then not much of anything.

Cities XL. Was supposed to be THE Sim City 4 replacement... turned out to be another social engineering utopia bullshit game.

1. bioshock (most boring game i've ever played in my entire life
2. WoW (game sucks so bad i cant think of anything to say about it)
3. GTAIV (leave it on the consoles next time)

and worth adding to the list if it was the top 7 most over rated games thread is COD4/5/6/7..

1.WOW
2.CoD:Black Ops - MW2 and WAW had a bastard child
3.Bioshock - just didn't do it for me.

1. Modern Warfare 2 - the first was interesting, but the 2nd went crazy

Woops, I forgot I'm in the PC subcategory. I removed my other two. I'll have to think some more.

only one i can think of right now is Morrowind

Blasphemy!

In all seriousness:

Mass Effect: Couldn't get into it
MW2: Not what everyone, especially 360 kids, make it out to be. They need to play a real shooter.
Red Faction Guerrilla: Give me old school Red Faction

1. Counterstrike
2. Dues Ex
3. World of Warcraft

Honorable mention: Grand Theft Auto IV

my 3

WoW - I just dont like MMOs thats why

COD MW2/BO - Hugely overrated imo

Bioshock - game just did not do it for me.

The latest Street Fighter game went on sale at Steam last Christmas and I bought it because of the review scores, and because the game was on sale for ten dollars. Wow, what a piece of garbage. You'd have to be a zombie to like a game like that. The massive review scores are still puzzling to me.

Any modern warfare game is over rated - that series has become a young male thing, in that they have to play it to prove themselves.

But honestly, for me, one of the most over rated games I've seen in years... just a dumbed down cartoony version of a game... and representative of everything I hate in a computer game... just a total mediocrity... and utterly barren of imagination or originality... with zero atmosphere... a game that was clearly aimed at casual gamers... with more hand holding than I've ever seen in a game... was Torchlight. An utterly forgettable experience. I wish I had never even seen it.

Last edited:
Fallout : NV - borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring, and gamebryo is ancient. Call me when they make a game that looks like it was made this decade.

The problem with hyped games is that you're expecting a giant orgasm when you play the game. Most games that people talk about like it's "SOOO GOOD" - I end up finding mediocre because I go in with such high expectations. My favorite games are usually gems that I know nothing about and end up having a ton of fun with (Sins of a solar empire / mount and blade comes to mind).

That said, the most 'overrated' games to me are:

1) Final Fantasy games - To be fair, I was late to the JRPG genre in general. However, I do like the genre overall. I played about 8 or so JRPG's before playing my first FF game, and I just couldn't bring myself to finish any of them. Most of all, FF13 was so bad in my opinion that I just stopped about 10 hours in. My roommate just kept raving about it and telling me about it... I think it really ruins the experience. Not to mention FF13 really was bad.

2) Fable 1/2 - need I say more? I played through Fable 1 on my friend's xbox. It was ok. Decently fun - nowhere near as amazing as it was supposed to be. I hoped that Fable 2 would be much more... got disappointed again. I'm not going to touch Fable 3. Ever.

3) GTA IV - Got it for PC for like nothing on Steam (forget the sale price but it was under $10). Fired it up. Terrible graphics. Terrible controls. Terrible characters. Terrible everything. I just don't understand. I couldn't even be bothered to try all the graphics mods. When I invest time modding a game, I usually enjoyed the game to begin with. This was not nearly the case for me with GTA IV.

The latest Street Fighter game went on sale at Steam last Christmas and I bought it because of the review scores, and because the game was on sale for ten dollars. Wow, what a piece of garbage. You'd have to be a zombie to like a game like that. The massive review scores are still puzzling to me.

Any modern warfare game is over rated - that series has become a young male thing, in that they have to play it to prove themselves.

But honestly, for me, one of the most over rated games I've seen in years... just a dumbed down cartoony version of a game... and representative of everything I hate in a computer game... just a totally mediocrity... and utterly barren of imagination or originality... with zero atmosphere... a game that was clearly aimed at casual gamers... with more hand holding than I've ever seen in a game... was Torchlight. An utterly forgettable experience. I wish I had never even seen it.

You know what, you're right. I couldn't figure out the appeal of Torchlight either.

Half Life 2 felt like a techdemo for the source engine with a big step-down in enemy AI. Other than annoying physics puzzles and some tedious vehicle segments it didn't seem like the game had anything that wasn't already done just as well in the original.

On the PC...

GTA IV: Its not bad its just not 99% metascore whatever material. But its fun for an hour or so.

Mass effect: Pretty boring badly acted story, also a 9329% metascore material. An average game with stupid high reviews. Also the worlds shortest "rpg" that was sold on the fact you could see the SIDE of an alien bosom.

Half life 2: Its an ok game, but not 963459% metascore worthy. Its ok for a quick run through now and again. Then again it is 5 years old now. Probably just showing it's age.

On non PC, all the halo games and mass effect some more probably every xbox exclusive ever made. That wake crap, gears of bore, gears of bore 10 etc.

i haven't been able to get into STALKER much. Yea it's open world, and yea it has some rpg elements, but it still comes down to shooting waves of NPCs. It boiled down to entering compounds and clearing out the NPCs. I didn't find enough meat to the gameplay to keep me interested beyond the first few hours. Where's the beef?!

For a shooter I had a much better time with Gears of War on the PC. The gameplay was diverse enough from the traditional run n' gun fare to keep me thoroughly entertained. Roadie running, hitting cover, hand to hand combat with the up close and personal chain saw, I had a blast with it all the way. One of my top shooters of all time.

Last edited:
Back