Top ten tatics in video gaming, that really get my goat

roaf85

2[H]4U
1. L4D 2 being announced along with L4D DLC content being charged on the 360 when it was implied it was going to be free. Thanks Microsoft.
2. Resident Evil 5 Versus mode not being included in the core game
3. Super Street Fighter 4 not being DLC
4. Anything else Resident Evil. Thanks for the upgrades to all the other console versions.
5. All EA sports related games DLC content.
6. Starcraft 2 charging for 3 expansions right out of the gate.
7. Game of the Year editions for GoW 2 including a key instead of a stand alone disc.
8. 50 dollars for any shitty MMO that only includes 1 month for free.
9. PSP Go good will program for UMD.
10. DLC content that only adds maybe an hour of gaming. (I am looking at you Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey).

I am sure I missed a few. Feel free to add your own top ten. People who think I am bitching do not bother responding.

My arguments:

1. Why is it is a surprise that people hold out or download games like Resident Evil 5. Not saying there is any correlation that I can prove, but jesus christ stick with one version and add major content packs.

2. Thank you Bethesda for doing it right. Most of your content packs are major expansion packs that are worth the 10 bucks, but at the same time you should have waited more than 11 months to release a GOTY edition. No reason to buy 4 expansion packs and a 30 dollar Fallout 3 game when in a month you can get the whole package and the expansions on a disc for 50 dollars. If you have Fallout 3 still sell it now.

3. The PSP Go. Upgrade now instead of buying an old PSP that is easily hackable, homebrewable and finally rely on others to throw new games on torrents. Brilliant! I mean I would have a better feeling if I did not have to rebuy all my old games or the second hand market was destoryed for mobile gaming.

If you think there is a major first hand market for portable gaming then you are mistaken. There is way more competition in the mobile market place. Thanks iPhone for your .99 to 5 dollar video game apps :)

4. No one should be defending EPIC after Unreal Tournament 2004 the company went to shit. I did enjoy GoW though.

5. If I was developing an MMO I would realize that market share was more important than the initial sale. No wonder WoW continues to stay on top. I mean I can see wanting to develop an MMO that will not post revenue gains for a year. Seems to not make sense to many of these developers. Lets see a 15 million dollar revenue stream per month at Blizzard or a 300,000 immediate return on capital for a shitty MMO that you priced at 50 dollars for the first month only for people to not enter the market for your game because the 50 was too steep to try a game that may not be better that WoW.

Feel free to add. I fucking hate tuesdays.

I am sure I missed a few. Feel free to add your own top ten. People who think I am bitching do not bother responding.

You're in a public forum. Tough

Another thread started by false sense entitlement. That's my add to this "discussion"

I don't really care about much of this simply because if I don't think a game or DLC is worth the money... I don't buy it.

lol, I enjoyed the rant. I especially like the "I fucking hate Tuesdays," conclusion.

I feel your pain though, as I have bought almost no DLC (only xbl arcade games and a few map packs cuz i loved the games ... but i still feel ripped off). Sadly the content just seems overpriced and it gives the impression of developers excluding content and important features from the original game (weather this is true or not). $20-30 expansion to games that actually add a decent amount of content for the money I appreciate, but most of the DLC we are getting at $5-15 a pop is a joke. Don't even get me started on the $3-5 avatar addons or themes and pics.

I wish all multiplayer games included LAN connection too. Seems like this is even starting to disappear.
xbox connect is long dead.

People who think I am bitching do not bother responding.

And the difference between bitching and listing your top ten complaints about a topic is: ????

And the difference between bitching and listing your top ten complaints about a topic is: ????

Nothing other than it is Tuesday, I want people to agree with me, my Software Update server is crashing and I am pissed off.

I don't really care about much of this simply because if I don't think a game or DLC is worth the money... I don't buy it.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Now all we need is more people like you to stop buying the games in general and we will win.

Once people understand supply and demand, things will get better. If you don't want to play a shitty game, DONT FUCKING PAY FOR ONE. Developers will lose $ and re-adjust accordingly.

If you are tired of shitty Hollywood movies, stop paying to see them.

Its idiots who buy this shit and then complain about it that are the real problem....not a developer taking extra time and manpower to deliver a trilogy that will stand solid against other half-assed games for years to come.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Now all we need is more people like you to stop buying the games in general and we will win.

That's what I was about to say. Take Left 4 Dead 2 for instance, the game I'm willing to bet it's going to be a 40-50 dollar map pack when I know there is already a cult following that I know will buy the game no matter what. It upsets me because it basically says, "I'll buy whatever, just keep rehashing the same crap to me." I feel the same about Madden and most WW2 games. Left 4 Dead is pretty good, and I like it, but L4D2 is too soon and too similar. They haven't even given enough time for the community to build up and develop either, I think. What I mean by this is that there isn't enough user content like custom campaigns maps etc. It just doesn't feel complete so I guess I'll do my part, but it's not enough. Too bad I really.

lol, I enjoyed the rant. I especially like the "I fucking hate Tuesdays," conclusion.

I feel your pain though, as I have bought almost no DLC (only xbl arcade games and a few map packs cuz i loved the games ... but i still feel ripped off). Sadly the content just seems overpriced and it gives the impression of developers excluding content and important features from the original game (weather this is true or not). $20-30 expansion to games that actually add a decent amount of content for the money I appreciate, but most of the DLC we are getting at $5-15 a pop is a joke. Don't even get me started on the $3-5 avatar addons or themes and pics.

I wish all multiplayer games included LAN connection too. Seems like this is even starting to disappear.
xbox connect is long dead.

They probably do, just to help soften the impact of resold console games. At least CoD5 WaW's post release support existed at all...

Take Left 4 Dead 2 for instance, the game I'm willing to bet it's going to be a 40-50 dollar map pack when I know there is already a cult following that I know will buy the game no matter what. It upsets me because it basically says, "I'll buy whatever, just keep rehashing the same crap to me." I feel the same about Madden and most WW2 games. Left 4 Dead is pretty good, and I like it, but L4D2 is too soon and too similar. They haven't even given enough time for the community to build up and develop either, I think. What I mean by this is that there isn't enough user content like custom campaigns maps etc. It just doesn't feel complete so I guess I'll do my part, but it's not enough. Too bad I really.

I agree. But it's for this reason exactly that it irritates me when people bash Blizzard for taking so long with Starcraft 2 and splitting it up into 3 separate games. They are a dev. making something that could have sold millions a year ago, but they are taking their time which is a rarity with big developers these days.

People can bitch about shitty DLC and half ass games all you want but don't bash the guys trying to make quality content.

what really pisses me off is when they drop original game content to be put into future DLC stuff, it happens

i remember playing the blood beta (yes its old :p) and checking out the resources in the editor and remember seeing the troll enemey that was in the plasma pak addon and i think i also played a map that ended up in the addon, all made before the original games release

You know that it is completely sad and pathetic when a gaming company considers itself an overwhelming success when it's indicator is the fact that people simply cannot play the game they purchased due to lack of server capacity...Battlefield 1943 anyone?

You know that it is completely sad and pathetic when a gaming company considers itself an overwhelming success when it's indicator is the fact that people simply cannot play the game they purchased due to lack of server capacity...Battlefield 1943 anyone?

Although Battlefield 1943, BF2142 etc have been a rehash of an existing formula. Well most games are anyways I would consider for a small minute that BF1943 is better than half of the shit on the Xbox Live Market place.

I agree. But it's for this reason exactly that it irritates me when people bash Blizzard for taking so long with Starcraft 2 and splitting it up into 3 separate games. They are a dev. making something that could have sold millions a year ago, but they are taking their time which is a rarity with big developers these days.

People can bitch about shitty DLC and half ass games all you want but don't bash the guys trying to make quality content.

What about charging for Battle.Net usage? Even though there may be more systems in place you would think the cost per megabit would have declined from the old days. Is Blizzard really having a problem finding off-site hosting partners that do not think there is much to gain from advertising on the battle.net network?

What about charging for Battle.Net usage? Even though there may be more systems in place you would think the cost per megabit would have declined from the old days. Is Blizzard really having a problem finding off-site hosting partners that do not think there is much to gain from advertising on the battle.net network?

Evidence of this where?
Rob Pardo at Blizz con talked about charging for add-on features akin to server switching or faction changing in WoW. I didn't find anything about charging B.net service.

I'm waiting for the final solution on the console:

1) Required to buy the Game in retail. On the Disk will contain all the content but not playable, or possibly just the demo (ie timed based single player), you will however need the disk to play (aka CD check)
2) In the box will include a DLC code, that must be authenticated via Xbox Live or PSN, to unlock the content from the disk and make the game official.

This will place a huge speed bump on piracy and also kill the used game market. Can't say I'm looking forward to it and I tend to buy/sell used console games. A few games already had DLC that simply unlocked stored content that was already included in the CD/DVD, so this wouldn't be a huge step.
This is just speculation on my part, but can feel it coming. If not this generation, possibly soon.

I'd like to see how big Super SF4 actually is before wishing it was DLC. Look back to Street Fighter Alpha 1, 2, and 3. Those games were worlds apart and very worthy as complete sequels. If this game is truly that different, making it a DLC could be complete overkill.
We don't know enough to be mad yet.

Yeah and these aren't "tactics" in the general gaming sense. I expected to come in here and see someone complaining about noob tubes...which I actually agree with. ;)

same here..i was expecting people to talk about AWP'ers in CS or people who steal your vein in wow when you aggro a closeby mob... stuff like that :)

this is nothing more than a gripe with how he doesnt like the practice of many companies

10. DLC content that only adds maybe an hour of gaming. (I am looking at you Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey).

Lol, what about games that make you think you would get the DLC for free.....Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box. Should of been named, Burnout Paradise The Limited Box!

4. No one should be defending EPIC after Unreal Tournament 2004 the company went to shit. I did enjoy GoW though.

I'm not really gonna try to defend them, but I gotta say, so far I'm loving X-men Origins: Wolverine and Batman Arkham Asylum which are both on the UT3 engine. Although I don't like the shimmering shadow issues on Wolverine.

Now my added gripe. What the heck is up with these direct download (Steam, D2D) with keeping outrageous pricing for sooo long! I mean they charge the same as if I was to go to the store and pick up a copy but leave it at that price forever. This leaving the customer a bigger benefit to pick it up at a B&M or online stores (go gamer, newegg, amazon, even ebay) cause its gonna go on clearance faster (even the good ones) and be up to a 1/4 of the price. So what if they have a decent deal once in awhile, keep prices current!

For that reason alone I'll never buy newer games till they come down in price!

EDIT: My added gripe is PC oriented, lol

Lol, what about games that make you think you would get the DLC for free.....Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box. Should of been named, Burnout Paradise The Limited Box!

I'm not really gonna try to defend them, but I gotta say, so far I'm loving X-men Origins: Wolverine and Batman Arkham Asylum which are both on the UT3 engine. Although I don't like the shimmering shadow issues on Wolverine.

Now my added gripe. What the heck is up with these direct download (Steam, D2D) with keeping outrageous pricing for sooo long! I mean they charge the same as if I was to go to the store and pick up a copy but leave it at that price forever. This leaving the customer a bigger benefit to pick it up at a B&M or online stores (go gamer, newegg, amazon, even ebay) cause its gonna go on clearance faster (even the good ones) and be up to a 1/4 of the price. So what if they have a decent deal once in awhile, keep prices current!

For that reason alone I'll never buy newer games till they come down in price!

EDIT: My added gripe is PC oriented, lol

LIke I said it was not a full list. And regarding EPIC, how can you say you enjoyed a game based on an engine? If the engine is good enough and you can license it out, why wouldn't you?

You have to consider when the UT3 engine was made, how it still holds up today and what the project timeline is of some of these games. Batman would have still been made, but maybe in a longer time frame. All leasing an engine does is give EPIC money per sale, but at the same time it is cheaper than spending months programming an engine.

Second as far as STEAM goes look at the aggressive pricing. However many PC gamers you think are out there here is the simply fact. The games that are not MMO/Sims related barely hold up on the used market place. If you are buying PC games with the intention to resell them at used prices, you better beat a game extremely quick otherwise most PC games zero out faster than the console market. This is obvious.

If you take this into consideration I would rather buy low (like L4D being 15 dollars low) and keep the game forever than spend 40 dollars at the store and resell it for maybe pennies.

Lastly I doubt you will have a second hand market place in the next 5 years for console games or PC games. People are adopting boardband at faster rates everyday. Plus the people profiting in the retail market place are mainly Gamestop and private mom and pop stores.

All your major players like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Blockbuster (just ditched the game crazies) are basically ditching the second hand market for games. A used video game store relies mainly on volume and it is hard to move volume in a down economy. People will cut video games out of a budget before alcohol etc and a large majority of video game spending is done by parents for children. The used video game marketplace is not a stable industry to have many stores operating.

Regarding digital distribution I think there is a large majority of consumers that will spend based on convenience. I mean if you think about it why is netflix still a major player in the marketplace? If I can go to the super market and rent a redbox movie for a dollar a day and I probably rent 3 movies a month I am saving 4 dollars over netflix.

Now throw in 2 children in the mix and now I have to make 1 trip to get a redbox, another to return it and do this 3 times a month? Fuck that I would rather just pay the 4 dollars and have Video on demand.

I'd like to see how big Super SF4 actually is before wishing it was DLC. Look back to Street Fighter Alpha 1, 2, and 3. Those games were worlds apart and very worthy as complete sequels. If this game is truly that different, making it a DLC could be complete overkill.
We don't know enough to be mad yet.

DLC did not exist in the timeframe when those Street Fighter Alpha games were made. By your same logic how do you think something like Street Fighter 2 Tournament Edition (you know the one on XBLA) would have fared a 50 dollar price tag?

I am not saying that I am against Capcom DLC in general. They are one of the few big publishers out there, but I just think many times Capcom is walking the line between "this should have been included in the game" and "this is worthy". Just look at the bad PR generated by Resident Evil 5 versus mode. Sure people still bought Resident Evil 5, but you have to understand eventually people are going to turn to other models.

I mean why would I want to buy Resident Evil 5, if I can just wait 6 months for a new edition that I can not get via DLC.

Evidence of this where?
Rob Pardo at Blizz con talked about charging for add-on features akin to server switching or faction changing in WoW. I didn't find anything about charging B.net service.

This was shot down. Sorry I was wrong you got me. This was discussed at one time as a rumor.

This was shot down. Sorry I was wrong you got me. This was discussed at one time as a rumor.

N-n-n-no-no way. A forum member admitting their info was wrong! Kudos to you good sir, for being the first in history to acknowledge that you may be been previous misled! Today is a small triumph for my faith in the human race :)

but seirously, you like, never see this happen. Its really refreshing:D

N-n-n-no-no way. A forum member admitting their info was wrong! Kudos to you good sir, for being the first in history to acknowledge that you may be been previous misled! Today is a small triumph for my faith in the human race :)

but seirously, you like, never see this happen. Its really refreshing:D

That is the thing about being an elite asshole like myself. I have to be right when I am, but will admit if I am wrong.

Back