Top Spotify Lawyer: Attracting Pirates Is In Our DNA

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Dec 27, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

At first, this just sounded like lip service but, after rereading the quote below, I am really warming up to what Spotify is trying to do here.

“People that are pirating music and not paying for it, they are the ones we want on our platform. It’s important for us to be reaching these individuals that have never paid for music before in their life, and get them onto a service that’s legal and gives money back to the rights holders,” Vale said.

2. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

"Why not just sue them?" /RIAA

3. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

And yet still not available in Canada...

4. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Spotify is available in Canada, did I miss something ? I use their family plan actually 15$/mo for 6 people under the same household.

5. I have no reason to pirate any longer because Spotify works so well for me.

6. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

#NotMyCanada

"Pirates" will still spend money, just not full money for whatever reasons they have. So yes, finding a price point that people WILL pay should be the goal. I'm not going to spend $15-$20 periodically for 1 movie or 1 album (unless I really like it). But I will spend $20 periodically if it gives me access to lots of different things. And that's what Spotify, Apple Music, Redbox, etc provide. It's all about price to value ratio.

7. tazeat

tazeat [H]ard|Gawd

While I agree with you in theory, Spotify is still subject to content and licensing restrictions (ie they don't have everything or region availability) which is where legal solutions can never win thanks to our label/MAFIAA lords. I will say that the experience is amazing now though, surpassing even that of most pirate means. Search, click, listen. That's it.

8. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

Spotify has been great for my phone. My brother gave me access to his family plan and I haven't used my iPod since! Just need a car with Bluetooth now....

9. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Stealing is in your DNA. Go steal a car with Bluetooth. It's ok, Spotify said so.

chockomonkey likes this.
  10. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

What do you mean by NotMyCanada ? Ok I may be from Quebec but we're still in the same country the last I checked...
    What spotify does is the same as Netflix if you ask me... I find those solutions great and pay for them...

Cheers

11. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

"... gives money back to the rights holders ..."

I find that funny considering just how little money the artists are getting even today. The distribution of digital media online is a mere pittance compared to physical manufacturing and distribution and yet the overwhelming majority of the cash taken in still doesn't get to the artists unless they themselves put their own websites up with their material.

12. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Yikes, when did this happen?

13. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Not sure but at least two months ago... lol.. my sister is making me pay for hers. Need to start tinkering with it for the car.