top reasons people didn’t upgrade to the iPhone 8 or iPhone X

iPhone from 2016 will probably be updated for longer than Android from 2018.

Seriously though, there are only two reasons why I will only buy iPhones from now on:

- I receive OS/security updates the moment they’re released, no ifs, ands, or buts, and Apple has set a strong precedent for supporting phones for a long time.
- No “Doze” bullshit crippling my notifications. That feature is just incompatible with my usage patterns and should be optional.

Otherwise, iOS frustrates me and I prefer Android in almost every way.

Android gets security updates every month. It's the actual new features and stuff we don't get very often. I've owned every iPhone since they came out and I switch between iPhone and Android a lot. I like Android as you can customize it. iOS is very stable and that is what I like about it but it's also very limited and boring.

^ Google is apparently very lax about enforcing this with its OEMs.

I had an S4 SD600, a Note 4 Exynos and am now running a Note FE Exynos.

The S4 got monthly updates the first time Samsung/Google announced its monthly updates thing.

This continued onto the Note 4, but 1.5 years into its life, the monthly update became a 2-4 month thing. With the Note FE which I bought in Jan 2018, it got a grand total of one security update before getting updated to Oreo this May. At this rate, I'll probably get another security update before the year ends...

If google wanted to be strict about this, they could probably buy one model for each of their manufacturer's phones, maintaining a big excel sheet, and just keep hitting the update button every day to keep track... ;)

Are you suggesting that Google should take away Google Play from phones that don't update?

Are you suggesting that Google should take away Google Play from phones that don't update?

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but Google has to do something. It's disgraceful that Android OEMs have every incentive to avoid supporting their customers properly. What if there was a serious exploit or malware outbreak (on the level of Windows' old Blaster worm) that compromised hundreds of millions of devices, including phones that were purposefully neglected by vendors?

I upgraded my galaxy note 3 to the galaxy note 8 and love it... wife went from iPhone 6s plus to the iPhone 8plus and she is happy. With that deal we got an iPhone 8 and galaxy 8s for free (paid $100 more for Galaxy 8s+ though)...

but I agree.. while my phone difference between note 3 and 8 were huge, my wife said no real difference in the iphones...

I upgraded my galaxy note 3 to the galaxy note 8 and love it... wife went from iPhone 6s plus to the iPhone 8plus and she is happy. With that deal we got an iPhone 8 and galaxy 8s for free (paid $100 more for Galaxy 8s+ though)...

but I agree.. while my phone difference between note 3 and 8 were huge, my wife said no real difference in the iphones...

Well there are differences, they're just not as conspicuous (dual cameras, speed, water resistance, stereo speakers, wireless charging...). I suspect it'd feel different if she'd jumped to an iPhone X.

Well there are differences, they're just not as conspicuous (dual cameras, speed, water resistance, stereo speakers, wireless charging...). I suspect it'd feel different if she'd jumped to an iPhone X.

she had no interest. I wanted her too but she held it and said.. NO I DONT LIKE IT.. I looked at her and said.. well you know how I feel every time I pickup one of your apple devices.. HAH

Apple Sends Media Invites for WWDC Keynote on June 4
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/wwdc/

iOS 12 needs to do this;

- Revamp and totally update the horrid outdated Notification system across iOS.

- Create an AoD ( Always on Display ) type of thing for the OLED iPhone's. Right now if your leave the room with your phone on the desk, and come back, walking next to the phone, you have no idea if you have a missed call or missed e-mail, text, etc... you have actually activate the screen yourself by either Face ID or Touch ID to check. But with AoD it would be so much convenient and nicer.

- Revamp the UI already, the homescreen with the grid of icons, is so 10yrs ago. Allow me to place an icon anywhere on the screen I want, like the bottom of the screen, don't force icons to all be bunched in a row one after the other starting from the top, let me choose where I want my icons to be on the screen. Allow some basic dark themes, allow icon packs.

Apple Sends Media Invites for WWDC Keynote on June 4
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/wwdc/

iOS 12 needs to do this;

- Revamp and totally update the horrid outdated Notification system across iOS.

- Create an AoD ( Always on Display ) type of thing for the OLED iPhone's. Right now if your leave the room with your phone on the desk, and come back, walking next to the phone, you have no idea if you have a missed call or missed e-mail, text, etc... you have actually activate the screen yourself by either Face ID or Touch ID to check. But with AoD it would be so much convenient and nicer.

- Revamp the UI already, the homescreen with the grid of icons, is so 10yrs ago. Allow me to place an icon anywhere on the screen I want, like the bottom of the screen, don't force icons to all be bunched in a row one after the other starting from the top, let me choose where I want my icons to be on the screen. Allow some basic dark themes, allow icon packs.

Current leaks (what few there have been) suggest iOS 12 won't be a major revamp, so I'd give up any expectations of a major home screen rethink. Notification changes? Maybe. Always-on might be an option, but I wouldn't be surprised if that waited until the new iPhone reveal in the fall. And Apple is likely to never, offer support for icon packs -- it doesn't in macOS even though there are unofficial ways to do it.

My concern is that most of your changes basically amount to "do it the way Android does. Be Android. In fact, just ship iPhones with Android." That's not to say that Apple's rigid ordering is great, but we need to do more than just copy ideas from competing products.

And to be clear: Apple won't fail if it doesn't do these things. Both because the public doesn't seem to particularly care and because, ultimately, people spend more time inside their apps than at the home screen.

If Apple doesn't radically revamp notifications, and just add more stupid useless emojis and minor bug fixes only for iOS12. Then we know Apple has lost thier touch.

But I'm so happy with Android P and my Pixel 2 XL, it would take a lot to pull me back to iOS again. Personally stock Android is great right now, no reason to switch whatsoever.

But I'd be tempted to come back to Apple if they listened to what the geeks and Jailbreak crowd like and incorporate some of those cool features onto stock iOS. We're not asking for a radical whole new operating system, but want more then boring stock gives. I just don't get why Apple is so hard core against these revisions and tweaks ?

I'm not saying copy Android. Hell they can take good stuff that Windows Phone had too. And Apple when they borrow ideas from Android, I dare say they do it better. So I'd like to see Apples approach at some of the good things Android and Windows Phone had as far as notification system, and UI, but make it thier own. Look at the JB community of tweaks, there's some really cool stuff out there, imagine Apple putting some money and professional programmers on that and baking it into stock iOS, would be super cool.

I'd honestly be very happy if Apple "stole" every single good point from Windows Phone and Android. I'd even be tempted to go to their platform for the conveniences.

Back