top reasons people didn’t upgrade to the iPhone 8 or iPhone X

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/05/didnt-upgrade-to-the-iphone-x/

Interesting article, and doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess the main reasons here. I would think this applies to high end Android phones too, like the Galaxy S9, etc...

- That the top reason those people haven’t recently upgraded is because their current iPhone “works just fine,” with 44 percent of people choosing that answer.

- The second most common reason among survey respondents was that the new iPhone is “too expensive.” 31 percent of respondents cited that as their reasoning for not upgrading.

Smartphones have become like the PC industry, years ago it was worth while to upgrade frequently to get better and better performance, but for a long time now, that's not needed whatsoever anymore. Same with smartphones, as long as your phone is in good condition, not cracked or damaged, and the battery is still good. Then the mass majority do not need a brand new phone every couple years, most average Joe's and Jane's that aren't tech geeks, can keep a phone 3 or 4 years easily.

For the Grandma's out there a iPhone 6S is more than fast enough and good enough for them, even that's too much power than they really need.

Smartphones are becoming like appliances.

Aside from camera advancements there isn't much of a need to upgrade. I'd still be happily have my Nexus 6 if I didn't break it. Today's phones are plenty fast enough, there aren't massive new feature enhancements, and the cameras are all really good. Why spend $1,000 when you don't need to.

Last edited:
Smartphones in general are hitting their saturation point globally, which should be expected when we're almost 11 years since the debut of the first iPhone came out and sparked the smart phone era. People are now holding onto their phones longer now that the tech in them is plateauing, the flagships are getting absurdly expensive, and more truly competitive mid-range phones are becoming available.

I still maintain that the only reason these overpriced flagship phones sell nearly as much as they do too is because of limited phone selection through carriers (people are too lazy to shop outside of carriers) and carrier financing makes these overpriced phones available to virtually everyone, including broke dicks who absolutely couldn't afford the phones otherwise. Like my bro in law and neighbor (both single income) who make maybe 30-40k/year with 2-3 kids and still went out and got iPhone Xs and Note 8s phones for them and their baby momma//daddy.

Edit: Oh, my example above just reminded me of this gem from the iPhone 5 launch too, lol.

"I"ve heard it's only $200 instead of $800, so I might just buy 2 or 3 phones..."

"What if it happens to cost more than $200?"

"That's right because I have my credit card!"

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I bought an iPhone X on release outright as I do with all the phones I buy with the intent of flipping it as my 7 Plus was still fine for needs.

Surpringly I am still using the X and gave my 7 Plus to one of my daughter's.

For me the X gives me the Plus size benefits (camera, battery and screen) in a smaller physical body than the Plus but not so small as the regular iPhone. It's a nice compromise on the size but with the upgrades that typically only come in the Plus version.

How I interact with the phone is what drew me in as it actually feels like a new phone rather than just a spec upgrade.

That being said, I don't have an interest in moving to whatever comes next year as the X is more than enough to keep me happy for another year or two.

I stopped building PC's a few years back as I realized what I had was more then enough and I was just building to upgrade specs and not because I had any need that the current system was not meeting.

I did put an Intel NUC together to replace one tower and it is an awesome little piece of hardware that does everything I need as it is not used for high end gaming.

My daily driver is a 6S+. I put a new battery in it about 4 months ago. I see no need to mess with anything else.

This poll would pretty much apply to any high-end smartphone manufacturer. There are typically two types of people in the smartphone world; those that want the latest and greatest regardless of cost and those that will use their phone for years and will only replace it once it really starts dragging its feet. I'd say its a 1/3rd and 2/3rd split between the two groups.

This is why (if you believe the leaks) Apple is making that lower end, LCD-based variant of the all-screen design. The iPhone X is for the enthusiasts and spare-no-expense buyers; there has yet to be a major redesign for the everyday buyers, the ones who get whatever iPhone costs $200 up front (or an equivalent in instalments) whenever their term is done.

It is true that smartphones are increasingly "good enough," but it'll be interesting to see the sales this fall when Apple has three new iPhones on the market, one of which is finally accessible to a wide audience.

I’m just waiting for the OLED 6.5” iPhone this year. Will sell my X for that.

Love the screen on this on X but I liked the way the bigger phone felt while typing/texting even though I’ve adjusted to this.

I’m just waiting for the OLED 6.5” iPhone this year. Will sell my X for that.

Love the screen on this on X but I liked the way the bigger phone felt while typing/texting even though I’ve adjusted to this.

I was in the same boat being a former Plus user since the iPhone 6 Plus. However, I have sort of adjusted to the X screen size which is making me question if I'll make the jump...

This is why (if you believe the leaks) Apple is making that lower end, LCD-based variant of the all-screen design. The iPhone X is for the enthusiasts and spare-no-expense buyers; there has yet to be a major redesign for the everyday buyers, the ones who get whatever iPhone costs $200 up front (or an equivalent in instalments) whenever their term is done.

It is true that smartphones are increasingly "good enough," but it'll be interesting to see the sales this fall when Apple has three new iPhones on the market, one of which is finally accessible to a wide audience.

Hopefully the 6.1" LCD based variant will come in around $700-$800. I don't imagine the 5.8" OLED variant dropping below the current X price and it wouldn't make much sense selling the LCD version within ~$100 of the OLED version.

I also think we'll see the second "SE" iPhone this year and I think Apple will be dropping the 4" screen on it and will be replacing it with the 4.7" screen (basically will be an iPhone 7 shell with iPhone 8 internals and no wireless charging). That'll likely be Apple's "budget" phone for $500.

So essentially my predicted line-up:

iPhone SE2 (4.7" 16:9 LCD) - $499
iPhone 9 (6.1" 18:9 LCD) - $749
iPhone X2 (5.8" Notch OLED) - $999
iPhone X2+ (6.5" Notch OLED) - $1099

Apple really doesn't cater to the ~$200 budget phone crowd.

This isn't too surprising...

A friend at work bought every iPhone since the 3GS and just stayed with his iPhone 7 this year. He said, too expensive no meaningful improvements and iPhone X was just way too expensive, again with no real perceived improvements...

I only buy new Phones annually because I'm interested in experiencing new phones... I have absolutely no reason to do so. I could still functionally use my Note 5 and still get by fairly well... Doesn't mean I don't live my Pixel 2 XL....

I tried and returned both the X and 8 Plus. After so many years with iPhones, the OS just feels sluggish, dated, and boring. I hated Face ID on my X and missed the home button. Oddly enough, I use Face Unlock on my new Dell XPS 13. It's fast and works every time. Face ID on my X worked only about 50%. The 8 Plus was a nice phone, but was basically a clone of my 7 Plus. Again, that sluggish, dated, boring OS just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'd never rule out another iPhone, but it'll take a helluva lot for me to dump Android, at this point.

Of course, I used to say the same about Apple. ;)

I preordered a S9 because my JoD lease of an iPhone 7 Plus was running out. I would have to pay close to $300 (price to buy the phone and tax) in a month. So I had to jump. iPhone X's JoD rates is just too darn expensive for me. The reason I'm on JoD is so I could switch phones when I see fit, so a large downpayment is stupid. If the Google Pixel 2 wasn't a Verizon exclusive, I would have jumped last year. So I have been holding out for a phone without a crazy down-payment. I held onto the 7 Plus for that long because the only phone I could get on the JoD without a crazy down payment interesting to me is the V30+.

Actually, I thought the same thing about JoD and the iPhone X, but they let me upgrade my iPhone 7 Plus with no down payment. T-Mobile states on their website that for “well qualified” people there’s no down payment to use JoD to upgrade to the baseline iPhone X only the 256GB model.

I originally bought under EIP the iPhone 8 Plus and have the 7 Plus to my girl since she had an S7 Edge that was performing like shit. When I saw the S9+ I wanted that instead because I get the 8 Plus was too much like the 7 and I thought the X would require that down payment, but by the time I made up my mind my girl already got accustomed to iOS. So, I ended up giving her the 8 Plus since she didn’t want a phone with no home button and got the X for myself.

It is a damn nice phone, as it should be for being a $1000 phone.

I got an iPhone 7+, which is my first personal Apple phone. It’s been exactly a year since getting it and I have no urge to upgrade. This phone does everything I need it to do.

I bought my wife one also at the same time and she feels the same.

I’ll probably skip whatever iPhone comes out next and then get the next one.

I’ll probably just give this to my younger daughter to use since they don’t want to use our old lg g3/4’s we kept, lol.

I hope whatever phone I get will still have a home button.

I got an iPhone 7+, which is my first personal Apple phone. It’s been exactly a year since getting it and I have no urge to upgrade. This phone does everything I need it to do.

I bought my wife one also at the same time and she feels the same.

I’ll probably skip whatever iPhone comes out next and then get the next one.

I’ll probably just give this to my younger daughter to use since they don’t want to use our old lg g3/4’s we kept, lol.

I hope whatever phone I get will still have a home button.

The next one probably won't, like it or not -- the current leaks (including one from Bloomberg's Mike Gurman, who's historically near-flawless in terms of accuracy) have Apple spreading buttonless designs to more of the lineup. There'll probably be iPhones with home buttons in 2019... but they'll be old models.

With that said, I'd rather embrace the future, as quirky as it is, than hold on to the past. I like my iPhone 7, but every time I try an iPhone X (or Galaxy S8/S9, or Essential, or...) my 7 feels claustrophobic. I'd rather adjust to gesture navigation and Face ID than require a giant phone to get a large screen.

I didn’t upgrade because I found out I’ll be out of the country for a year and I’ll upgrade when I get back.

I WILL have FaceID LOL.

I always skip a gen, same thing I always recommend to anyone that asks me. I'm still rocking a Galaxy s6 Edge and an s7 Edge without issues. I would upgrade to the s9, but I'm really waiting for the Note 9. I still miss my Note 7. :(

I always skip a gen, same thing I always recommend to anyone that asks me. I'm still rocking a Galaxy s6 Edge and an s7 Edge without issues. I would upgrade to the s9, but I'm really waiting for the Note 9. I still miss my Note 7. :(

That's what I'm doing with my iPhone 7, but damn if it isn't hard to wait when your phone has a relatively small screen. I'm hoping there are enough functional improvements (camera, processor, RAM, battery) that I feel good for holding out.

That's what I'm doing with my iPhone 7, but damn if it isn't hard to wait when your phone has a relatively small screen. I'm hoping there are enough functional improvements (camera, processor, RAM, battery) that I feel good for holding out.
Well, unless Apple can interject some magical R&D into their next design I doubt you’ll get any of those, maybe the camera. There hasn’t been a big leap in memory technology, the cpu’s have been hit with the node limitation and Apple hasn’t really done much with batteries outside of putting in some nice power management options.

For the most part, I’d expect incremental upgrades.

Well, unless Apple can interject some magical R&D into their next design I doubt you’ll get any of those, maybe the camera. There hasn’t been a big leap in memory technology, the cpu’s have been hit with the node limitation and Apple hasn’t really done much with batteries outside of putting in some nice power management options.

For the most part, I’d expect incremental upgrades.

Not expecting dramatic improvements, just enough bits here and there that it's a more substantial upgrade for me than the iPhone X is right now. A slightly faster A12 chip; brighter apertures on one or both rear cameras; a slightly larger battery; a refined TrueDepth camera system; that sort of thing. If you believe the rumors, the larger battery and 4GB of RAM are on the cards, and it's safe to say there will be an A12 even if it's not a huge improvement.

I can't stand the notched look of the iPhone so it's a definite no buy for me no matter what size they produce it in. I'm going to hold on to my iPhone 6+ until Samsung releases their foldable oled phone later this year or sometime in 2019.

I can't stand the notched look of the iPhone so it's a definite no buy for me no matter what size they produce it in. I'm going to hold on to my iPhone 6+ until Samsung releases their foldable oled phone later this year or sometime in 2019.

The notch will not be exclusive to the iPhone in 2018. There are already Android phones revealed with the notch and more to come as Android P has coding included to deal with the notch.

I've got a 6s. I use my phone more than most any other device - mostly email and web though, nothing terribly intensive or crazy.

I miss the 4s - I liked that smaller form factor for the purposes of a phone.

Sure, it sucked worse for writing email and general web browsing, but it worked, and you could reach everything with one hand without having to resort to some strange gestures to move icons down to where you could reach. And the shift of the "standby" button from the top to the side - whoever approved that move should be beaten.

Still haven't even looked at an X - maybe it will blow my mind and change my life, but I kinda doubt it. Wife has an 8. I can't hardly tell the difference from my 6s and her 8 if they are just laying on the coffee table. The apathy against the form factor, lack of distinction in models, and not needing more performance (I'd rather have more battery life than a faster processor in my phone anymore) are the reasons I haven't upgraded.

I do think Apple isn't quite as good as they used to be, they have been slipping a good deal as of late. But even with that, it's still better than the runner up. I guess that's what happens when you get to be the leader and can afford to have those kinds of mistakes.

I've got a 6s. I use my phone more than most any other device - mostly email and web though, nothing terribly intensive or crazy.

I miss the 4s - I liked that smaller form factor for the purposes of a phone.

If you want the small form factor, there is still the iPhone SE.

The notch will not be exclusive to the iPhone in 2018. There are already Android phones revealed with the notch and more to come as Android P has coding included to deal with the notch.

And those Android OEMs are even worse than Apple for copying it. I know Essential was the first (that I know of at least) to do the notch, but at least it was minimal and as small as possible, but I would still much prefer to just have a small bezel up top for the camera and sensors than a notch.

Smartphones in general are hitting their saturation point globally, which should be expected when we're almost 11 years since the debut of the first iPhone came out and sparked the smart phone era. People are now holding onto their phones longer now that the tech in them is plateauing, the flagships are getting absurdly expensive, and more truly competitive mid-range phones are becoming available.

I still maintain that the only reason these overpriced flagship phones sell nearly as much as they do too is because of limited phone selection through carriers (people are too lazy to shop outside of carriers) and carrier financing makes these overpriced phones available to virtually everyone, including broke dicks who absolutely couldn't afford the phones otherwise. Like my bro in law and neighbor (both single income) who make maybe 30-40k/year with 2-3 kids and still went out and got iPhone Xs and Note 8s phones for them and their baby momma//daddy.

Edit: Oh, my example above just reminded me of this gem from the iPhone 5 launch too, lol.

"I"ve heard it's only $200 instead of $800, so I might just buy 2 or 3 phones..."

Sweet fuck me Jesus that video was painful to watch. I mustered all my strength and unpaused it after 1 minute.. it was harrowing.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
If you want the small form factor, there is still the iPhone SE.

Yeah been keeping my eye on it. Right now they are just 6S's with a smaller screen, and I have a 6S, so no reason to buy another phone at the moment when I can just get the battery replaced in my 6S for $30 and it's like brand new.

Not expecting dramatic improvements, just enough bits here and there that it's a more substantial upgrade for me than the iPhone X is right now. A slightly faster A12 chip; brighter apertures on one or both rear cameras; a slightly larger battery; a refined TrueDepth camera system; that sort of thing. If you believe the rumors, the larger battery and 4GB of RAM are on the cards, and it's safe to say there will be an A12 even if it's not a huge improvement.
Right, just incremental upgrades for now. The A12 could be a real shocker but I doubt Apple would put a large core in their phone.

I bought the iPhone X after owning the Note 8. I used it for a few months and decided it wasn't worth spending that huge chunk on a lesser phone than the Note. Plus Face ID was pissing me off not working half the time especially when in bed. I sold it, paid the phone off, and got a second hand note 8 paid off. Back to a great phone that can do so much more.

Does this person have a mental illness?

Hopefully Samsung won't follow this stupid trend with the Note 9. Concept pics show it having a completely bezzle-less screen and POSSIBLY an integrated fingerprint reader.

Hopefully Samsung won't follow this stupid trend with the Note 9. Concept pics show it having a completely bezzle-less screen and POSSIBLY an integrated fingerprint reader.

I highly doubt it'll be completely bezel-less as I don't believe we're close to having the technology to put a front facing camera behind the screen. Concept pics are usually just user generated predictions.

Not expecting the Note 9 to go that route myself. If history is any indication, it'll be an extrapolation of the S9's design language and not much more.

I don't think Apple did a bad thing with the notch. The issue is more that Android vendors are copying Apple for no particularly good reason -- ASUS' notch on the Zenfone 5 doesn't even need to be as big as it is despite the absence of depth camera tech. As much as some Android fans may be loathe to admit it, there really are some times when OEMs just wait for Apple to take the lead and then imitate whatever it's doing. You'd think they'd be aiming at Essential's relatively minimalist notch instead...

I feel like that unless you really want a better point-and-shoot camera, these days, the only real motivator for smartphone upgrades is carrier incompatibility. The fact that I talked my family into finally dumping Sprint for T-Mobile is literally the driving reason for me retiring my Note 4 in favor of a new Note 8.

Why a Note 8? Well, let's see the list of alternative options I had in January 2017 for a phone with proper Wacom pen functionality (which literally rules out everything that isn't a Galaxy Note of some kind):
  • buy a T-Mobile-compatible Note 4 and risk dealing with the eMMC failure issue (that thankfully didn't strike my Sprint model yet)
  • buy a Note 5, a phone I absolutely despise for removing a ton of features
  • buy a Note 7 - OH, WAIT, THEY LITERALLY BLEW IT THAT TIME.
  • get my Sprint Note 4 unofficially unlocked on the cheap and use it without 4G on T-Mobile
I was actually pretty content with that last option, at least until T-Mobile started killing off 3G around the Atlanta area to go all-in on 4G LTE later in the year. Sprint locked out the LTE bands they didn't use, and the techniques to unlock bands on Qualcomm-based phones tend to be a total crapshoot in practice. It got to the point where I even had several voice calls audibly degraded - that's how much it sucked to use a Note 4 that Sprint wouldn't unlock themselves on T-Mobile.

But other than that, I really liked that Note 4. Still have it, actually; it comes in handy as a programmable IR remote, since my Note 8 lacks that feature. Also, its screen has uncut corners and isn't stupidly rounded off on the sides. If they kept the Note 4's design and just added USB-C and the Note 8's beefed-up internals, I'd actually be perfectly happy with that. After all, the Sprint Note 4 N910P still has a pretty active dev community, owing to its unlocked bootloader (something I wish my Note 8 had), and it never really felt slow despite the Snapdragon 805, eMMC and 3 GB of RAM being "meh" by today's standards.

As for a more iOS-related example, the carrier switch got my little bro an iPhone SE, itself a replacement for his failed iPhone 5S (which turned out to have corrosion around the battery connector for some reason; didn't have obvious water damage otherwise). He's still content with it, even with the small size, and hey, IT HAS A HEADPHONE JACK! That alone could be a reason for other iPhone owners to not go beyond the 6S(+).

Also, it's not just smartphones. We saw this happen with computers already. We're really seeing it with cars, when you can wind up spending $40,000+ at a new car dealership for something that depreciates like a rock the moment you drive it off the lot, or just hit up someone on the local craigslist for $1,000-2,000 for something that still runs reliably enough to get you where you need to go and has no shortage of spare parts on the second-hand market.

I go through allot of phones and always have multiple. An Android and an apple at minimum.

I had an iPhone 7 32gb. Upgraded to the 8 64gb. Then downgraded back to the 7, but in 256gb because it was a very good deal an other then wireless charging the feel and usage was the same. I planned to keep it for a couple years as I was just not interested in the X. The notch was the stupidest thing ever and I wasnt willing to give up touch ID.

Then I won an iPhone X 256gb... Figured I would use it for a few weeks to see if the hype was worth it and sell it.. Well after about a month I ended up selling the iPhone 7 instead. After a few days the notch disappeared as in I don't even notice it anymore. Face ID works about 90% of the time and when it doesn't it's basically completely dark in the room. Honestly if I changed the lock screen to white it would probably be enough light to work with. And as much as I hate to admit it... Animojis are pretty cool too...

All this said I don't think the phone is worth the 1200 price tag..

I go through allot of phones and always have multiple. An Android and an apple at minimum.

I had an iPhone 7 32gb. Upgraded to the 8 64gb. Then downgraded back to the 7, but in 256gb because it was a very good deal an other then wireless charging the feel and usage was the same. I planned to keep it for a couple years as I was just not interested in the X. The notch was the stupidest thing ever and I wasnt willing to give up touch ID.

Then I won an iPhone X 256gb... Figured I would use it for a few weeks to see if the hype was worth it and sell it.. Well after about a month I ended up selling the iPhone 7 instead. After a few days the notch disappeared as in I don't even notice it anymore. Face ID works about 90% of the time and when it doesn't it's basically completely dark in the room. Honestly if I changed the lock screen to white it would probably be enough light to work with. And as much as I hate to admit it... Animojis are pretty cool too...

All this said I don't think the phone is worth the 1200 price tag..

And this is why Apple seems poised to release a lower-cost iPhone X-style model (I'm also hoping the introduction of an "X Plus" pushes the high-end models' price down, but not counting on it). I'm starting to think iPhone sales will explode this fall just because it'll be the first time many people can actually consider getting a major redesign.

I've had the iPhone X since launch and while FaceID was finicky at first with an estimated average success rate of 80% for me; after all the updates and AI learning my FaceID rarely fails now (~95%+ success rate).

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/05/didnt-upgrade-to-the-iphone-x/

Interesting article, and doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess the main reasons here. I would think this applies to high end Android phones too, like the Galaxy S9, etc...

It all can pretty much be summarized with what I quoted from you. I think that generally phones are starting to sink a bit in terms of the upgrade 'necessity'. Phones are fast enough for anyone to do virtually anything they want to do on them. As you noted, a 6S is plenty. I'm on a 6S Plus. Everything is generally still instantaneous (there are some places where it's not 100% fluid, but nothing that breaks usage with the phone or makes it frustrating).

And outside of trying to play high-graphic intensive games, making my phone 4x as fast doesn't actually help me do anything faster. As all that speed is imperceptible.
The novelty aspects of phones are over. People play toilet games over high-graphic games. Using 1000 apps is far less common than using the same dozen or so. For the 98%: Text Message, Camera, Instagram, Snapchat, Browser, Phone Calls, GPS (whatever flavor), Music streaming (whatever flavor), Youtube (and maybe a few other video streaming services), covers pretty much everything. If your phone can do all that fluidly, what does a better model really give?

Generally this is why most in the general public care about display quality and camera quality above almost everything else. Apple figured out that formula pretty quick, but even with the best camera (arguably, there are other competitors) a 7+ is plenty. Or even a 6/6S.

Next year, if they can bring the costs down, I think there will be a resurgence in buying. There's supposed to be 3 iPhone models, all "X like". One lower cost LCD model. Then an OLED X and X+ model. If nothing else, the LCD model will likely sell like gangbusters. But if they can get their top X+ model under $1000, bringing the cost of all three down by quite a bit, then all three models will likely sell a lot. Whether they can or will is an entirely different matter.

Back