Top of Rack L2 switch

petrov_ich

n00b
Looking for a Layer2 top-of-rack switch with:
  • 24 GE ports (wirespeed, able to push full gig)
  • Optional 10GE uplink (SFP+, Direct Attached Cable preferred)
  • Not HP (must be able to allow all vlans on every port)
  • Stable and reliable
  • Budget: 2000$ (may be used)

Any suggestions?

Can those two words go together? Top of rack and layer 2 ha?

2960s or g probably or 3750 would be far better used as just layer 2.

Juniper EX3200's or EX4200's are pretty nice if you are comfortable with the brand.

What does this mean? You are able to tag all vlans on any port you wish using HP.

I mean, that I cannot pass all of the vlans (1-4096) though a port without manually or dynamically adding them to a configuration.

I guess this has always been a moot point to me since even with Cisco I set allowed VLANs on trunk ports.

BTW, you can set all vlans to tag a "trunk" port on HP using a simple range/selection command:

vlan 10,20,30,40,50
tag 24

or you can do an entire range, but it will create ALL vlans within the range:

vlan 1-4096
tag 24

I am a huge HP procurve fan and think they provide much better value than Cisco in many situations. I currently manage close to 1000 HP switches with extensive VLANs without issue.

2 points:

1) I HIGHLY discourage using that command because it will literally create EVERY VLAN in the range in the config. It will be QUITE long!!

2) According to the HP specs on the 3800 series, they only support 2048 VLANs:

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_3800_Switch_Series/index.aspx#Layer 2 switching

Click Features -> L2 Switching

On that note, I do not know how many HP or other switches support 4,096 VLANs. I don't use VLANs that high in the range typically.

Last edited:
i am in thie same boat and was checking cisco, but was also curious about Juniper, as i have heard they have more throughput / PPS?

what about options with 10G uplinks and stacking?

trying to simplify my networking life! in the end i will have 7 top rack switches to deal with with...4 VLANs all feeding into right now a PFSense box but to be replaced with either a Cisco ASA or a Juniper device (still researching)

will check those out! got to work out the new server room layout this week and doing top of rack for it with 1 24 port management switch for iDrac and iLo and esxi management and seperate main switches for the server traffic, most will be LACP with min 2 NICs and most servers using 4 where possible.

Back