Top Networks Absent From Google TV Announcement

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google announced its content partners for Google TV yesterday but there were no major networks on the list. The company did list HBO, Twitter, Netflix and Amazon but we are talking Google “TV” here aren’t we?

The major television networks — ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC — will not participate, at least for the moment. However, several Internet companies and media outlets, including HBO, CNBC, Twitter, Netflix and Amazon, will work with Google to offer Web content and programming via television sets, the company said.

Unfortunately, the major TV networks are probably looking to sign up with Apple -- for no good reason.

Well, they have CNBC on there..... now all I need is Food Network and I can get rid of the Sat dish.

Unfortunately, the major TV networks are probably looking to sign up with Apple -- for no good reason.

They're betting that AppleTV is going to win the set top box market the same way iPhone won the smartphone market. (that victory is nowhere near the lock it once was)

But the STB market is far more competitive. More choices, broader content.

If the networks give in to Google they know it's all over. Google takes their content and makes money off it online, I'm sure the big networks are dying to do this concept all over again.

If the networks give in to Google they know it's all over. Google takes their content and makes money off it online, I'm sure the big networks are dying to do this concept all over again.

ROFL yeah pretty much. Not only that. They'll probably let you skip commercials and feed you Adsense while you're doing so.

Doubtful.

Wouldn't this be Hulu's problem, since all of them handle complete shows for those networks, except CBS? and since it requires a custom page that likely won't have ads on it, in the networks case, why would they do it?

It really doesn't matter since you can still access all there content within the Google TV. It's not like a Roku where you need the content provided a certain way. All Google TV needs to do is do a search. Find it on any of the video sites and when found open up the video in the Google TV browser. Google doesn't have to spend the time or money getting anyone on board.

Old media will continue to be dragged kicking and screaming into the new world of digital. It will deflate their excessive profits, but such is the nature of the world. No one, no where, can have a long-term economic profit in excess of normal.

Back