Top MUST PLAY games for a "true" gamer....

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
I know that we gamers have our favorites genres and games, but there are some games throughout gaming lore and history that MUST be played if you are to call your self a gamer. Not just games you think are good but THE games that defined what is gaming. What are they in your opinion?

I have a few in no particular order:

Pacman/Ms. Pacman (Arcade/Aatari 5200) © 1980 - the one and only

PONG - no excuse for the younger gamers either.. it MUST be played.

Yi-Ar-Kung-Fu (Arcade) ©1984
- first TRUE 2D fighting game with joystick controlled special moves that predates Street Fighter series by 6 years.

Super Breakout/Yars Revenge/Combat/Joust (Atari 2600) - again, precursors to all that is gaming goodness.

Super Mario Bros (NES) - classic

Bards Tale III: Thief of Fate (PC) ©1988 - The Father of all "D&D style" adventure games (WoW, Everquest, Ultima...etc)

Metal Gear Solid (PS) ©1998 - The first 'movie quality' game

Doom (PC) ©1993 - of course

StarCraft (PC) ©1997 - YOU have no idea what a PC game is until you've played SC and have loved it.

I have more but Please feel free to add your opinions. I'd like to see what the 'true' gamers think. Please add year and platform to your suggestions!

Stalker, if you can do it without pissing your pants at the fact that the starting guns aren't infallible,

Road Rash/II/III,

Worms Armageddon.

Adventure - Legend of Zelda

RPG - Final Fantasy VII

Survival Horror - Resident Evil

Puzzle - Tetris

Personally i dont think you need to play all the classic games to be called a 'True' Gamer. What is a 'True' gamer anyway. You either play games or dont. Would you be a 'True' Heterosexual only if you've slept with classic women like Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn or Judy Garland? :p

Anyway, i'll bite and add a few games myself.

Turrican 1 and 2
Dungeon Master
Stunt Car Racer
Mercenary
R-Type
Panzer Dragoon Saga
NiGHTS into Dreams
Shining Force
Road Rash
Elite
Falcon
Midwinter
Burnout 2
Hitman Codename 47
Death to Spies

MegaMan and the MegaManX series :) Or at least the first 4 games in the X series.

Sim City 2000

Diablo 2

World of Warcraft

Baldurs Gate I or II

Any game from the Civilisation series

Mortal Kombat (sega genesis)
Goldeneye (N64)
Half-Life (PC)

If I had to pick a single game I'd say "The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past" for the Super NES, but really I'd say ALL of the Zelda games except the bastard child "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link" for the NES.

A Link to the Past, Ocarina, and Twilight Princess are absolutely must play

The Original Metal Gear!!!
Bionic Commando
All the old Zelda Games; a link to the past ect.
FF VII was fuckin epic.
Starcraft
GTA 1, 2
Street Fighter!
Mech Warrior

im sure theres many I can't think of but all of those were amazing games.

1: Zelda - A Link to the Past.
One of the best games ever made. The graphics, music and the game all stand the test of time.

2. Super Mario 64
A fantastic game that started a whole new wave of games

3. Final Fantasy 7
An epic adventure that changed RPGs

4. Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
If you have to ask, you haven't played it.

5. Metroid/Super Metroid
I think Super Metroid was better, but these were fantastic games that were far ahead of their time.

6. Golden Eye
There was just something about it that "felt rights" and made it fun.

7. Street Fight II
While it might not have been the original fighting game, it was one of the best and is still fun to this day.

8. Actraiser
The use of various graphics modes and the sound chip made this game an "experience". I loved it.

9. Half Life 2
Great game in a fantastic world.

10. Diablo 2
Because.

I was reminded by watching"The Wizard" yesterday of SMB3. That game was awesome for its time!

mule
Bards tale 1 on a C64...damn dungeon maps wrap try that in the dark
Syndicate
Carmageddon
Diablo 1 2 and LOD
Doom
Quake 1 and 2
wind commander
crusader
civilization
mech warrior 1 and 2
warcraft....zug zug
AA <<<hell you got to try it and its free
a TON of C64 and Amiga games

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear
Ghost Recon 1
Max Payne
KOTOR
Morrowind
Monkey Island 3
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
Xwing/TIE Fighter/Xwing VS TIE Fighter/XWing Alliance

Legend of Zelda II -- The Adventures of Link (gold Cartridge)

+1 for:

Resident Evil: Directors Cut (PS/PC) ©1995 - original survival horror classic by which all are made.

Galaga/Centipede (arcade) ©1982 - Galaga is space invaders on steroids

gotta agree with the person that said mechwarrior 2, I spent god only knows how many hours playing that game non stop.

lots of games on NES that made me not sleep for days
Mario
final fantasy
adams family (yes i spent a large amount of time on that one)

Other than those the only other games that really sucked me in were EQ1 and WOW. Most games these days its play thru them once or twice then they go back in the box

Since a lot of PC games have been mentioned already, I'll give a short list of NDS games.

-Mario Kart DS - pure fun, especially with friends
-Elite Beat Agents - surprisingly addicting
-Cooking Mama 1 or 2 - LOL
-Professor Layton and the Curious Village - numerous puzzles and riddles with a murder mystery story to boot.
-Any of the Phoenix Wright games
-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
-Meteos

Deus Ex (Cmon no mention for this game? Theres a thread topic for it right above this one)

Max Payne

Duke Nukem 3D

Doom 1-2

The rest is history :p

For a PC Gamer:

Civilization
Sim City 2000
Doom
Worms
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Diablo
Unreal
Half-life
Hitman Codename 47
Max Payne
Unreal Tournament
The Sims
World of Warcraft

Prolly forgot some

Any list that doesn't start with the coin op version of Donkey Kong, ain't a list worth reading.:p

While a list like this would favor the first game of a particular series, I'd have agree that these two are must-play:
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Both the original Metriod and the original Zelda were breakthrough games, these sequels are where they finally got the polish that showed the potential of their respective genres.

Ocarina of Time

First game I played from start to finish with the interruptions kept to a minimum. It changed me from a " I hate video games" to "Thank you Science for inventing this"

Forgot Golden Eye and Mario Kart 64 and Mario 64. Long-live nintendo and I don't own a single nintendo system.

Back