Top mobos for a 2.8?

How much are you willing to spend?
What features are you looking for?
Are you going to OC?

digitalman said:
How much are you willing to spend?
What features are you looking for?
Are you going to OC?

Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see!

Different motherboards are better suited to different tasks so we will be able to help you if you can give us some more information about your usage.

Oh yea huh.....

I dont want to spend more than 140ish. Im a heavy gamer. IDE, RAID, (SATA maybe?).
I really dont need onboard sound, video or lan, but if it comes with it more power to me.
Im also looking for a full size atx, no matx. Oh and im not going to OC. Can I cross? :D .

Since you are not planning on overclocking you may want to look at some Intel motherboards. By Intel I mean Intel brand boards. They make some of the most stable motherboards out there they just don't have many overclocking options. You may also want to take a look at some boards using the newest Intel 925/915 chipsets if they are out. They don't give you much of a performance increase but they seem to be a little better suited to work with Prescotts.

If you already have a socket 478 processor, I would say go with a Gigabyte board. Alot better implementaion and more standard features than Intel's boards and they do allow for some OC ability in case you do decide to do some in the future. I would suggest the 8IK1100 or if you're willing to part with a bit more, than go with an 8KNXP. The 8KNXP has double the SATA slots (from 2 to 4) and also offers IDE RAID through their GigaRAID. I have the 8KNXP and it's absolutely rock solid stable with a 2.8C @ 3.2 running 24/7 with only the occasional reboot (Maybe once every 2 weeks or so)

Not on all of them. They take lower core voltages so you want to make sure that whatever mainboard you get is Prescott ready.

What about a mobo with just the normal stuff? Prescott ready, IDE slots, AGP 8x... nothing fancy. If im not OCing would it make a difference if i got a $70 board opposed to a $150 board?

screamingacorn said:
What about a mobo with just the normal stuff? Prescott ready, IDE slots, AGP 8x... nothing fancy. If im not OCing would it make a difference if i got a $70 board opposed to a $150 board?
If you are not going to OC then I suggest you get an Intel made mobo that suits your needs.

Abit IC7 series
Abit IS7 series
Asus P4P800 series
Asus P4C800 series
Asus P4S800 series
Intel D865PERL and it's variants
Intel D875PBZ and it's variants

The Intel boards are only compliant after a certain manufacturing date. The rest of the above are definatley Prescott capable.

I know there are other boards but those are the ones I know are Prescott ready.

for the E's i'm only recommending only the
Asus P4C800 series (P4P800-E DLX)
Asus P4P800 series (P4P800-E DLX) the P4P800SE is ok, but I would probably get the E DLX instead
Abit IC7 series (IC7 MAX III, or IC7-G)

those boards would probably be the best choices for the E's.

PhoenixAshes said:
There are alot of good 865 based solutions out there. They're typically a bit more basic and therefore, less expensive than their 875 counterparts.....
Not all 865 based solutions are more basic than their 875 counterparts. Case in point: The Intel D875PBZ - at least the version that you can buy retail-boxed or in unboxed bulk form online - offers neither onboard audio nor integrated IEEE1394 (but comes with onboard Gigabit LAN and integrated SATA RAID), whereas its 865 counterpart (the D865PERL) can be purchased with integrated SATA RAID, a choice of either onboard 10/100 or Gigabit LAN and/or integrated IEEE1394 (the D865PERL comes standard with onboard audio).

What im considering so far....
ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE
ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P
GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
MSI "865PE Neo2-LS" i865PE
Intel "D865GBFLK" i865G
Intel "D865PERLK" i865PE

Opinions, suggestions? :confused:

I'd go with either the MSI or Gigabyte boards. I have one of each and they're both rock solid. My MSI is an 845PE and my Gigabyte is an 875.... However, IMO, you can't go wrong with the GA-8KNXP.... Rock solid, feature rich and Pressie ready.....

screamingacorn said:
What im considering so far....
ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE
ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P
GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
MSI "865PE Neo2-LS" i865PE
Intel "D865GBFLK" i865G
Intel "D865PERLK" i865PE

Opinions, suggestions? :confused:

The Intel D865GFLK i865G has onboard video. I'd cross that off the list.
The Intel D865PERLK is a good board but has 0 overclocking features. So if you want to OC cross that off the list.
I've got no experience with the newer MSI boards. But they've been good in the past.
I've had bad experiences with Gigabyte so I wouldn't recommend them.
I've used and have owned a P4P800-E Deluxe and it was a great board. A solid overclocker with a good feature set. This is the board I would recommend you purchase.

3rd Place-GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE

2nd Place-ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P

and the 2004 mobo upgrade goes to....

The ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE

Thanx for all of your input! I'd be clueless without all of you.
3 IDEs sold it for me.

Back