Top ISPs Agree to Become Copyright Cops

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

It's official, your ISP is now the entertainment industry's bitch. My prediction? Your internet bill will go up by 10%-15% next year because of "costs" associated with combating piracy. :(

2. demografik

demografik [H]ard|Gawd

fighting piracy/drugs/insert illegitimate competitor NEVER works and ALWAYS hurts the innocent. why don't the powers that be ever realize this?

3. Roliath

Roliath 2[H]4U

money

4. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Well, there you go. Its for my own benefit. There's nothing wrong with that.

5. scaarbelly

scaarbelly [H]ardness Supreme

It is just an easy way for them to charge more.

6. demografik

demografik [H]ard|Gawd

that's my point. it's a money pit and they pass the loss onto their real customers, alienating them.

7. Hop-Scotch

Hop-Scotch Gawd

But they make more, what don't you understand about that?

8. Squall_Rinoa89

Squall_Rinoa89 Limp Gawd

Wonder how all this works considering I have to use bittorrent to update Final Fantasy XIV... lol.

9. Bohica69

Bohica69 Gawd

Looks like more services will go the encrypted route for their traffic. This in turn will drive their costs up slightly because encrypted traffic takes slightly more bandwidth...

10. Mosher

Mosher Gawd

My prediction?
    Internet bill will go up 10-15%, only of which 2% will actually be used to ahem, "Fight Piracy" :rolleyes:, and the other will go straight into the Execs pocket books, along with the money they are probably getting from companies like the RIAA to perform this "Service".

11. Ualdayan

Ualdayan [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe switch to Comcast Business if you have Comcast, get locked into a contract at a steady $60 then.

12. fochkoph

fochkoph [H]ard|Gawd

What sucks is I'm already at the boiling point with shitty AT&T and if they pull some more bullshit I'm going to go insane. What sucks is they're the only provider in my area.

13. jctusmc03

jctusmc03 Gawd

Already done with Charter, and I use a VPN. No problems for me. :D

14. Weenis

Weenis I said WEENIS, not...

Oh look, hey there usenet.

15. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I'm still trying to figue out how they can say this will be "benefiting consumers"

With all the low bandwidth caps they are implementing, we won't be able to download much anyways.

16. niconx

niconx 2[H]4U

Oh well, guess I can always save money by pirating more content lol

17. Trackr

Trackr [H]ard|Gawd

Wow...

I really feel bad for all of you mono-citizens..

Scary stuff.

18. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

Not really, then they will look at your bandwidth usage and see a constant high rate and then likely throttle you then claiming your using too much of the bandwidth YOU paid for already.

19. Madalienmonk

Madalienmonk Limp Gawd

This has been discussed to death already

tl;dr that's not how it works

20. jadams

jadams 2[H]4U

I recently found usenet again after 10 years. Its not as user friendly as torrents but it sure works. It also uses 100% of my internet connection while I'm downloading. Its a small price to pay for avoiding this junk or trying to get into a private tracker.

If i look at the bandwidth graph on my pfsense router it shows a steady straight line @ 21.23Mbps as opposed to the peaks and valleys I'd get with torrents.

21. bmoney9

bmoney9 Limp Gawd

My ATT will get slower...damn.. time to switch... lol

22. Bohica69

Bohica69 Gawd

Hey, it's got Anna Paquin in it.... no complaints here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  23. Hop-Scotch

Hop-Scotch Gawd

You and I see 2 different things. I wish she'd keep her clothes on, and her face off the screen.

24. Sp33dFr33k

Sp33dFr33k 2[H]4U

The entertainment industry sure knows how to get shit done. Too bad they don't use their vast resources for accomplishing something worthwhile.

25. nobody_here

nobody_here [H]ardForum Junkie

i guess now that it's becoming a commodity, perhaps those who were only getting content for personal use should start selling bootlegs in order to offset the cost and risk now involved

26. Zardoz

Zardoz 2[H]4U

Good now RIAA/MPAA can stop suing me and get on the ISPs now they have taken responsibility,

27. dr.kevin

dr.kevin 2[H]4U

wait, so why are the isps doing this for free?

if the entertainment industry wants to protect their shit, they should pay the isps out of their own pockets, not pass the cost to us.

fuckers.

28. jadams

jadams 2[H]4U

I'm actually sitting here as we speak watching through season 2. I dont particularly care for it but I"m already half way through the series, i cant stop now haha.

29. jadams

jadams 2[H]4U

LOL, i think she has an amazing body, but her teeth are f'ed up!

30. Dethred

Dethred 2[H]4U

If that happens, I'd suggest offsetting that increase by cancelling your cable TV and just downloading shows on Usenet. Haha, I am only kidding, but it would be kinda funny.

31. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Actually the entertainment industry has floundered for years trying to get this pushed through. You can thank Mr. Hope and Change for helping to push this garbage through, they were even kind enough to briefly mention as much in the article. While you are at it be sure to thank all the voters of "hope and change" for helping fuck everyone over.

For the record I don't download anything owned by the riaa/mpaa, but this is ultimately going to directly impact my wallet and frankly it pisses me off. Sick and tired of the insane corruption and bribery being flaunted around in washington.

32. OP20

OP20 Limp Gawd

^ yep. Mr. Hope and Change is screwing the american people more and more everyday. Most are just too blinded by his vague empty promises, charisma, and color to notice it.

33. shspvr

shspvr Gawd

Just one problem as with virtually every activity on the Internet, uploading and downloading any kind of file from Web, Usenet, IRC, FTP and rigth down to Torrents even thoses private tracker does leave a trace that can be tracked back to the individual ISP and computer, if copyright holders dedicate enough resources to it.
    This (ISPs Agree to Become Copyright Cops) is miss leading the problem with this if the ISP will not be monitoring that pettey much make the RIAA / MPAA Judge, Jury and Executioner becuases some else spoofing some else IP address.

34. FndTheRver

FndTheRver Gawd

The ISP's just called a bunch of industry trade groups 'Daddy' for no good reason.

35. bastage

bastage Pics of your wife?

I want to be on this guys network.. (linked from original story)

36. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

To do this would require them to monitor your internet usage, a major privacy invasion.

I know the AA's are the latest Mafia's and above (or have purchases) the law, but I see this headed for the legal system pretty quick.

37. RiZnO

RiZnO Gawd

Cablevision has always "forwarded" the copyright infringement notices to users. The won't divulge Customer Id without due process though. You get 4 fuckn chances, if you don't get it right by the 4th shot... well tough shit.

38. demografik

demografik [H]ard|Gawd

spending money attacking piraters/drug dealers/what have you results in profit?

interesting theory.

39. Hop-Scotch

Hop-Scotch Gawd

Was refering to the fact that they will charge us more than it costs them. It's win-win for the ISP, just something they can make more money on at our expense. If you don't think that's exactly what will happen then you're crazy.

40. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Did already,two years ago. Haven't looked back.Provider calls and I tell them I can't watch TV and surf at the same time.One or the other had to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.