Top Gaming College

whrswoldo said:
Since nobody has mentioned it yet...

Texas < OHIO

#1 gaming school (according to this thing)
#1 party school (according to the princeton review)
#1 hottest college girls (according to playboy)
#2 in football and looking lame

Of course, with more students enrolled here than live in most US cities what would you expect? ;) I can't speak for other universities, but their comments about UT were fairly accurate.

fixed it for you ;)
OH

krameriffic said:
Yeah, goddamn if we went to college for an educa...wait a second, where does Texas fall on the quality of education list? I'll give you a hint, they probably aren't in the top ten. Well, it's a good thing there are some college age people who logically order their criteria for choosing a college

Hmmm... 15th IN THE WORLD isn't too bad...

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,157854,00.jpg

idiot...

lozaning said:
fixed it for you
OH

I have one thing to say to you... jean shorts... and burnt couches... :D

CodeX said:
Well, I don't know how far you had to dig to find that, but here is one from this decade (this year actually) placing the University of Texas at 39th in academic standing :rolleyes:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ARWU2006_Top100.htm
UT Austin wins 15th place in
world list of 200 best universities

November 8, 2004

AUSTIN, Texas—The University of Texas at Austin is the 15th-best university in the world, according to a new global ranking produced by The Times of London newspaper in its Nov. 5 edition.

Among U.S. public universities, only the University of California at Berkeley, which is listed second in the world, ranked higher than UT Austin.

American institutions occupied seven of the top 10 places, with Oxford and Cambridge universities the highest-ranked outside the United States. UT Austin finished ninth among the top 10 North American public and private universities.

The rankings are based on the amount of cited research produced by faculty members, the ratio of faculty to student numbers, a university’s success in attracting foreign students and in attracting internationally renowned academics.

An additional factor in the rankings is the findings from a previous Times Higher Education Supplement survey in which 1,300 academics in 88 countries were asked to name the best institutions in the fields they felt knowledgeable about.

The five factors were weighted and transformed against a scale that gave the top university 1,000 points and ranked everyone else as a proportion of that score.

Complementing its overall rank of 15th, The University of Texas at Austin was rated seventh in the world in the amount of cited research by faculty members.

Harvard University was first in the list of the world’s best 200 universities.

The United States had 62 of the top 200 universities, followed by Britain with 30, Germany 17 and Australia 14. Twenty-nine countries were represented in the global rankings overall.
“Leading universities increasingly define themselves in terms of international competition,” said John O'Leary, editor of the supplement. “By taking account of the views of academics from across five continents and using the most up-to-date statistics, our ranking gives an informed picture of the world’s top universities.”

pwnt!

VoodooChi|d said:
UT Austin wins 15th place in
world list of 200 best universities

November 8, 2004

AUSTIN, Texas—The University of Texas at Austin is the 15th-best university in the world, according to a new global ranking produced by The Times of London newspaper in its Nov. 5 edition.

Among U.S. public universities, only the University of California at Berkeley, which is listed second in the world, ranked higher than UT Austin.

American institutions occupied seven of the top 10 places, with Oxford and Cambridge universities the highest-ranked outside the United States. UT Austin finished ninth among the top 10 North American public and private universities.

The rankings are based on the amount of cited research produced by faculty members, the ratio of faculty to student numbers, a university’s success in attracting foreign students and in attracting internationally renowned academics.

An additional factor in the rankings is the findings from a previous Times Higher Education Supplement survey in which 1,300 academics in 88 countries were asked to name the best institutions in the fields they felt knowledgeable about.

The five factors were weighted and transformed against a scale that gave the top university 1,000 points and ranked everyone else as a proportion of that score.

Complementing its overall rank of 15th, The University of Texas at Austin was rated seventh in the world in the amount of cited research by faculty members.

Harvard University was first in the list of the world’s best 200 universities.

The United States had 62 of the top 200 universities, followed by Britain with 30, Germany 17 and Australia 14. Twenty-nine countries were represented in the global rankings overall.
“Leading universities increasingly define themselves in terms of international competition,” said John O'Leary, editor of the supplement. “By taking account of the views of academics from across five continents and using the most up-to-date statistics, our ranking gives an informed picture of the world’s top universities.”

pwnt!

regardless ur article is 2004, his is current 2006, ALOT changes in 2years.

no ones saying UT sux, just not TOP DOG atm.

dwilson041781 said:
regardless ur article is 2004, his is current 2006, ALOT changes in 2years.

no ones saying UT sux, just not TOP DOG atm.
No... ALOT doesn't change in 2 years... If you went by the 2006 and 2004 rankings for that same source he presented I'm pretty sure UT would stay very close to where it was... it has alot to do with how they rank them and that source seems very close to U.S. News which uses a very faulty system of ranking...

I never said Texas was Harvard but to say anything negative about it academically is just ignorant.

#7 BABY YEAA!
"Georgia Tech is widely regarded as one of the biggest nerd universities in the nation"

LOL I knew my school would be on there, I've seen kids playing cs during lecture. =]

yeah, my ex-gf's dad went to ga tech and rant and raved about how technologically advanced it is. not to many nerds out here in the texas pandhandle , one kid put a webcam on his laptop and tried to tape my ee professor, she shot that down

How did I know that RIT was going to be on that list?

Oh well, the more nerds stuck inside playing video games at RIT, the more chicks for me. :D

jbaczek said:
Heh cool... I went to RIT too. Only for one year though. In the year crossroads got robbed and someone got shot.

School is full of nerds, no chicks, everyone plays games.

Like someone else said it's hard to find anyone who plays real sports. Frisbee is about as intense a sport as anyone was willing to play.

I totally remember that. March or April, early 2005, around there. Nobody died though, which is good.

Everyone shut up and play on my CS:S server that's at RIT :p

saan44 said:
Looks like the Big 10 is the place to be. Three of the top ten schools. But then, we already knew our conference kicks ass. :p

Good read, thanks.

BigTen FTW. The only shame is that ND isn't in the bigten. They should be.

Back