Top Best bang for the buck Intel processors right now ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Coming from a i5 2500k or should I wait until 2018 when the new Intel processors are suppose to come out?

So that means the 6C / 12T and above probably are not going to help that much for most of your usage.

Are you overclocking?

Intel Core i7-6700 is probably what you want...with modern intels best bang for buck is stay where your at and or learn about over clocking

Bang for Buck? i5s are the kings there. Especially if you get an Asrock no-K OC mainboard, you can push even the cheap i5s to crazy levels.

Best bang for buck CPU for gaming right now? In my opinion its the 6600k.

The 6700k would also be pretty decent if you can get it for $299.

One last question if I upgrade to the 6700K how long time will I need to upgrade again in the future ?

Also will the 7700K in 3 months work on the same mobo the 6700k works on ?

It is hard to predict. However I say probably as long as silicon is used in CPUs. Before then we will most likely have 5% or lower IPC improvements each year and more cores (which for now does not help most games).

BTW, I would wait the 3 months for the Kaby Lake i7.

will the 7700K in 3 months work on the same mobo the 6700k works on ?

Yes but there will also be a new chipset for the 7700K which may have some advantages.

Sorry another question how much more watts does a i7 6700k use compared to a i5 2500k ? Making sure my current power supply is ok.

Ok thanks.

I am thinking of getting the Intel Core i7-5820K instead for more power and future proof. Not sure yet. Is it a good idea ?

Its not a bad idea. It will be slower in most games than the i7 6700K however.

I would also look at the 6800K over the i7 5820k.

Most games don't have a good use for 12 threads. Also the i7 6700K has a higher frequency and a better IPC than the i7-5820K.

Maybe I'm out of date but I thought that there is hardly any gain going from an i5 to an i7 for gaming purposes?

One advantage is the i7 6700K has a higher base and turbo clock than the i5s. And some games can make use of more than 4 threads.

Last edited:
IMHO I'd suggest spending $300 and getting something like an E5-1620/50 or E5-2650/60/70/80/90 full machine for possibly $300 or less on Ebay (higher e5-26xx will cost more)

Pros:
* Your choice of: 4C/8T (probably for $300) or upgrade to 6C/12T ($100), 8C/16T ($60-$175)
* Can use normal DDR3, ecc reg, or ecc unbuffered
* It will have fantastic I/O since it has 28-40 pci-e lanes (eg: 2 * pci-e 3.0 x16 slots - x16 electrical!)
* You'll also have awesome functionality like vt-d, ecc support & sr-iov if you want it.
* single core thread speed should be ~80% of a 6700k

Cons:
* Probably doesn't have a power supply to support super power hungry video cards. I think this highly depends on which model you get.

Last edited:
6700k. Based on some recent games, including triple A titles, i7's are becoming a stronger choice for gamers. Do NOT buy a 5820k, as it's an older chip. It's been replaced by the 6800k. As stated for gaming 6 cores 12 threads won't help much at all. We're only just getting into a stage where i7's with 4c/8t are starting to make sense now. The 2500k was introduced in an era where IPC and core speed counted for more than core count. But it's 2016. Looking at current graphs, you'll see the 2600k still best some current gen i5's (more specifically the 4690k), in specific titles, but the 2500k falls well behind both.

The 6700k (assuming all else equal and parts last out) will likely be good for gaming for a solid 4-5 years realistically, or just wait for the 7700k and same deal either way.

5820k would do just fine with a decent overclock....of course if ALL you do is games skylake would be a better fit....the extra cores excel at doing actual work like converting blue rays where it smokes a skylake EASILY.....IF your into doing heavy multitasking it makes sense as well....otherwise go with skylake

Best bang for the buck right now for gaming is the i3 if you can live with 60fps.

Don't know how can anyone say, that best bang for buck is a 5820k or a 6700k for gaming. The 5820k is an enthusiast grade cpu and the 6700k is a high-end mainstream cpu. Neither of those groups could be considered best bang for buck. The higher you go - the more you pay for extra performance.
As mentioned before, for gaming you should probably be looking at non-k i5 cpus or, better yet, at the -k skew cpus and overclock them. When overclocking yelds 20%-30% or more performance and is so easy these days, there really is no reason not to do it.
If your 2500k is not overclocked you should do it now (if mobo supports it) and maybe extend the life of your current system. Waiting for new cpus is usually not worth it. There is always something "coming soon", performance improvements are usually insignificant as well, when it comes to cpus.
I recently sold my 3570k system (close to the 2500k). It was perfectly fine, played all games without maxing out the cpu usage @4.5ghz. I just wanted more threads for some cad rendering and bought a used 5820k.
The only reason to buy an i7 for gaming is if you are doing something in between that can actually use the hyperthreading and/or the extra cores. Most of the games do not do that and, with dx12 reducing the overhead, won't need to do in the near future. So, imo, an overclocked i5 is the sweet spot for gaming and will last you quite a few years again, just like your 2500k.

Don't know how can anyone say, that best bang for buck is a 5820k or a 6700k for gaming. The 5820k is an enthusiast grade cpu and the 6700k is a high-end mainstream cpu. Neither of those groups could be considered best bang for buck. The higher you go - the more you pay for extra performance.
As mentioned before, for gaming you should probably be looking at non-k i5 cpus or, better yet, at the -k skew cpus and overclock them. When overclocking yelds 20%-30% or more performance and is so easy these days, there really is no reason not to do it.
If your 2500k is not overclocked you should do it now (if mobo supports it) and maybe extend the life of your current system. Waiting for new cpus is usually not worth it. There is always something "coming soon", performance improvements are usually insignificant as well, when it comes to cpus.
I recently sold my 3570k system (close to the 2500k). It was perfectly fine, played all games without maxing out the cpu usage @4.5ghz. I just wanted more threads for some cad rendering and bought a used 5820k.
The only reason to buy an i7 for gaming is if you are doing something in between that can actually use the hyperthreading and/or the extra cores. Most of the games do not do that and, with dx12 reducing the overhead, won't need to do in the near future. So, imo, an overclocked i5 is the sweet spot for gaming and will last you quite a few years again, just like your 2500k.
yea well mr no it all...we suggested them cause he doesn't over clock...at least not at this time

yea well mr no it all...we suggested them cause he doesn't over clock...at least not at this time
Even if he doesn't overclock, an i5 will give 90% of performance in games of an i7 for 60% of the price. Recommending an i7 as "best bang for buck" is nearly the same as calling a gtx 1080 "best bang for buck". But, ofc, as always it depends on the person. No need for namecalling...

i5 6600 for "best bang for the buck" for gaming right now, if you are building from scratch. This is what I recommend to most folks who just want something sensible with excellent performance.

Not that X99 i7's and the i7's are bad choices - just that you do start to get a lower price/performance ratio with respect to gaming. Yes, the i7 will outperform the i5 in most games, but it's usually by a very slim margin, despite usually costing $100+ more. If you got the money - hell yeah, why not. But that isn't the same thing as "best bang for the buck" - that's just "best bang".

You could also make a good case for the i3-63xx as "best bang for the buck" - it's less expensive than an i5 even, and if your only talking 1080p 60Hz, it will hang in there on most games. Although, if you've got the budget for something like an i3 6320, you could probably scrape together another $40 and get the full i5. And if you can't, then that's the budget tier I still tend to recommend AMD CPUs because your really going to be stretching that budget on more than just the CPU.

If you already have a Sandy Bridge .... yeah. There are a lot of good reasons to upgrade from Sandy, but getting more gaming CPU performance isn't really one of them.

An i5 2500K is just at the point of no reason to upgrade for gaming. Just wait. Either the 7700K will deliver a reason for a gaming upgrade, or ebay prices on older CPUs will be lower.
No one said it, but IMO the "best bang" on Intel is still a couple of Xeons X56xx inside an EVGA SR-2 mobo: 12c/24t at 4.4GHz OC.

I play on i5-2500k overclocked to 4.3GHz with GTX 1080 on ultrawide monitor and see no reason to upgrade because all games play on Ultra quality with FPS above 60. Though if I had extra money I would upgrade just for fun :)

I am a little confused guys. Primetime said this:

5820k would do just fine with a decent overclock....of course if ALL you do is games skylake would be a better fit....the extra cores excel at doing actual work like converting blue rays where it smokes a skylake EASILY.....IF your into doing heavy multitasking it makes sense as well....otherwise go with skylake

So the 5820k is better at heavy multitasking ? Would this help firefox performance if I am worried about that? lol Sorry but I thought maybe it would help a little. I am quite a heavy multitasker or like to think I am.

I normally leave Firefox, email and a lot of other applications open while I am gaming. Does that consider multitasking ? I already got a SSD and enough ram. Maybe that (SSD and ram) helps more or is more important if your a heavy multitasker.

ng4ever,

I would not consider the 5820K at this point: It has been obsolesced by the new 6800K.

Coming from a i5 2500k or should I wait until 2018 when the new Intel processors are suppose to come out?

I thought you're not upgrading until like 2018??? I recall in another thread you created (among many others on this topic) that you cancelled your order for a Z170 build and that your 2500K was more than sufficient cause you were looking for something worth upgrading to.

ng4ever post:
"Here to waiting for 2018 for the newest intel processors that should be at least faster than what is out now!"

Just got a GTX 1070 but BF1 runs only a little better why?

Upgrading PC help

You're like one of those ppl that can't decide and sit there talking about it without doing anything...

Last edited:
I am a little confused guys. Primetime said this:

So the 5820k is better at heavy multitasking ? Would this help firefox performance if I am worried about that? lol Sorry but I thought maybe it would help a little. I am quite a heavy multitasker or like to think I am.

I normally leave Firefox, email and a lot of other applications open while I am gaming. Does that consider multitasking ? I already got a SSD and enough ram. Maybe that (SSD and ram) helps more or is more important if your a heavy multitasker.
what your describing is not really heavy multitasking...heavy multi tasking would be doing some kind of heavy cpu task
ng4ever,

I would not consider the 5820K at this point: It has been obsolesced by the new 6800K.
150 or so price difference....but maybe 14nm is worth the extra money?...idk the thing is if you have the correct MB one could always upgrade the cpu down the road. I suspect if you overclock both to 4.4 any cpu bottle neck will be none to minimal

in a perfect world for gaming, i'd get the 6600K. overclocking on the newer intel chips is so easy, and they do so extremely well.

i would have needed a mobo upgrade as well, so went with the 4690k and am more than happy.

look at the used market, you can get some really nice deals on cpus and they tend to either work or not, so you'll know if you got a dud almost immediately.

Back