Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux

I can understand & respect that serpico.

What I can't understand is all the [H] guys are so hardcore and can do tons of stuff I can't do (either knowledge wise or skills wise) like LN cooling, water cooling, lapping their CPU, case modding..... but then complain a CLI is too difficult ?

I find it kind of bizarre.

Perhaps they seem the same with me -- "Wow that linux guy can upgrade 150 boxes in 5 minutes with a 7 line shell script but can't get more than a 800mhz oclock out of his q6600?" :)

Thanks. There's what you described, which I get. Hey, some people don't want to learn new stuff, whatever, but live and let live I say. Then there are those who out-of-hand dismiss something simply because they don't use it, whether it is Linux, OS X, XBox 360, PS3, Blu Ray, whatever.

It obviously isn't a HardOCP thing, its an internet thing since you see it everywhere. HOCP forums can get pretty stupid but it isn't the abortion that Youtube comments can be. ;) This is why I really like Shacknews; hardcore moderation that culls out the trolls pretty fast. Oh, and its much funnier. :)

Want to tell me why none of the hardware in my wifes G31 based board was recognized in XP?

My wife tried vista once on a laptop that came with it. Within the first 3 weeks it blue-screened multiple times -- with no added hardware or changes (my wife uses webmail/web browsing mostly). She demanded XP. We bought a copy of xp pro oem w/ hard drive & narry a problem since.

I will give w7 a shot & show it to her, but to say windows installs everything automatically is total BS.

You really are digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole matey.

A linux guru who cant install windows. Oh dear.Well I guess it works both ways.

The main reason why the Linux desktop sucks so much is because it has no support beyond the volunteers. I run Fedora Core 10 on a Pentium 3 Compaq laptop and I love it. Its great. But setting it up was a nightmare, and took 2 installs, which is 1 more and 20 minutes more than windows.

What I mean by support is -

1.) The Laptop I bought didn't have any wireless. So I ordered a linksys laptop card.
Windows -
1.) linksys.com
2.) Download .exe for model
3.) Run .exe
OR
1.) When the "Find drivers" dialog comes up just point it to the CD that linksys provided which SUPPORTS windows.

Fedora
1.) Install ndiswrapper (following tutorial on the internet - with linux not even the developers provide instructions)
2.) Fedora didn't recognize ndiswrapper, or ndiswrapper didn't recognize the card so uninstall.
3.) Uninstall ndiswrapper
4.) Reinstall Fedora (ndiswrapper for some reason would not leave my system unless I edited 100 configs)
5.) Install broadcom fw cutter
6.) Works!

Okay time to install my printer.

Windows
1.) Plug in Printer. (*It just works*)

Linux
1.) Download hpjis
2.) hpjis does not work for some reason.
3.) Google
4.) Post on linux forums
5.) No replies after a day (at this point I would have given up (I suppose an "idiot" user would have quit here)
6.) Opened error logs, and googled those (I wouldn't expect an average user to go through the error logs, after all at first glance they look obfuscated and were over 1000 lines)
7.) Even though hpjis says my model is compatible, it is really not so I have install foo2xqx
8.) Happy Printing :)

So obviously, even though people claim linux is easy, you are simply blinded by your professionalism in the subject, and cannot see how hard it is for an average user to use one.

Then once users who are used to using the included instructions (google should be a search engine, not a global hardware database, or log of every problem by every user) they are called "noobs" for not knowing that they should google, or went to medical school and didn't study computer science.

What linux advocates forget, and neglect is that the average user DOESN'T want to use the CLI. The CLI is scary and only 1337 hackers use it. Even then they have to make GUI in visual basic to track finger prints and IP addresses.

Simply put, you CANNOT force your user to use your system. If Windows is easier he will use it, by saying "You have you use the CLI" or "to fix your computer you must master your Google-Fu" will only drive them away. Not because they are idiots, its only because they only needed to type up their budgets, NOT compile their kernels.

Both my Toshiba laptops, Fedora found all hardware, no drivers to load.

My mini-box.com Firewall box, all hardware found, no drivers to install.

3 general build newegg boxes, all hardware found, no drivers to install.

Supermicro 15 disk chassis and Supermicro MB, instantly installed.

Both my Samsung Laser and Epson inkjet, just plugged them in and they worked.

That is just my current fleet, plus many before, all without a single driver disk and no issues.

I will admit I spend 2-3 seconds before buying hardware, make sure there is no issue with Linux, but most stuff is ok these days. Especially if you stay mainstream Intel chipset/GPU/wireless/sound/etc.

Want to tell me why none of the hardware in my wifes G31 based board was recognized in XP?

Are you serious?

Maybe, just maybe, because XP came out what... 6? 7 years before G31? Nah, they should support all future hardware out of the box. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Genius.

Are you serious?

Maybe, just maybe, because XP came out what... 6? 7 years before G31? Nah, they should support all future hardware out of the box. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Genius.

Hm, Ubuntu came out YEARS ago, and a minor upgrade w/o reinstall recognizes everything :) Pretty nice it comes with drivers for pretty much everything that is common these days (except the latest bleeding edge or windows specific hardware).

Too bad microsoft can't do the same.

Hm, Ubuntu came out YEARS ago, and a minor upgrade w/o reinstall recognizes everything :) Pretty nice it comes with drivers for pretty much everything that is common these days (except the latest bleeding edge or windows specific hardware).

Too bad microsoft can't do the same.

You know its funny, because everyone was saying that you cannot or should not upgrade from the Win 7 7000 release to the 7100 release, and I was thinking. I went from the 9.04 Beta of Ubuntu to the RC to the final all by installing the updates...

The only issue I have with Linux is not the OS, but the users/supporters.
They are always most of the time a MS/Windows basher.
The few that I had to deal with always blames Windows for their bad programming skills.

"it doesn't work, it must be Windows. Linux is so much better..."

btw, I use Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, XP, Vista, 7, Windows Server
because you can't "dislike" something that you don't use and have no experience with.

I think the point here is that, yes, Ubuntu does recognize a lot of hardware right away. However, not every other Linux distro does, and if Linux doesn't recognize something, it's usually an incredible PITA to get the driver working compared to Windows. Ubuntu recognizes the wireless card on my laptop, but Fedora doesn't. Even after 24 hours of scouring the internet, posting to forums and facepalming at the Terminal, I STILL couldn't get my wireless working, even though there are obviously working Linux drivers for it.

And even with Ubuntu (which is better than most) I've never installed it without something not working. In the latest release it wouldn't recognize the Intel integrated graphics, so I couldn't use Compiz without some more Googling and CLI. I got it working, but this worked in every previous release on the same computer—then suddenly it didn't. If something doesn't work in Windows, you just find the driver, download it, install, and reboot. If something doesn't work in Linux, god have mercy on your soul.

I like Linux. And if you're lucky, everything works and you never have to worry. But if something doesn't... I think it's easy to see why someone would quickly give up on it.

I'm just going to assume you're either a troll or plain old stupid at this point.

You're bitching that an 8 year old version of Windows doesn't support new hardware out of the box, then openly admit that Ubuntu requires upgrades to recognize the new hardware. :rolleyes:

Actually you really just need a new kernel. You can stay on the same release.

I will ignore your trolling/name-calling as ignorance.

Actually you really just need a new kernel. You can stay on the same release.

I will ignore your trolling/name-calling as ignorance.

Wow, first you claim out-of-the-box, and now you say new kernel. Which is it?

[humor="joke"]

People quit Linux because of people like me! If you can't hack it then keep the hell out of my threads!

*&^$ noobs...

[/humor]

;)

Actually I am a bit displeased with my latest i7 box + Linux. The driver for the on-board audio sucks something awful, only a single channel from Alsa. And Pulse didn't seem to work very well... and I'm generally a guru. I get so frustrated with Linux sometimes. I know Linus is against the kernel mixing channels (cpu usage DoS attack on a single-user desktop machine, puh-lease), but they could at least throw us a bone with 2 or 4 channels. oss, alsa, esound, artsd, pulse ... how many unusable audio APIs does it need? Crap like that...

griff30 said:
Your comparing a CLI on a modern OS to one made in 1982? Great comparison! CLI is outdated by at least 20 years,

Actually I'm comparing a CLI on a modern OS to one made in 1987. BASH (the most common CLI on modern linux distros) was created in 1987. The CLI in Windows (including 7) hasn't changed since MS-DOS. But nice try at a flame.

I think this article tends to sum up issue #8. Linux users tend to be pretentious douche bags.

I've see far more pretentious douche bags in this thread alone than I have in the years I've spent on the Gentoo and Ubuntu forums.

1) So you admit the lack of an entire range of software, but we should ignore that anyway? Great argument. I'll contunue to use whatever software I want.

Good job at reading. The author says specifically that in this case you *SHOULD* keep using Windows:

The solution is simple: If you need to use a particular industrial tool for your work, then you should keep using it. That means you'll have to keep using Windows. It's no big deal.

2) When a piece of hardware doesn't work in Windows to type the name in Google and run the executable. When it doesn't work in Linux you type the name in Google and spend 2 hours trying to follow badly written instructions that often require tons of fucking

In some cases yes, in some cases no. More often than not, the Ubuntu Wiki contains information on getting up and running pretty quickly.

3) Noone wants to use a command prompt, shove it up your ass douchebag.

I use a command prompt on both Windows and Linux on a daily basis. It is critical to do more work. If you don't need one, great, but please don't speak for everyone.

4) Linux has little to no place in even the business world. Why the fuck would I learn a new OS just to enjoy the lack of features and the increased difficulty of use?

#4 has nothing to do with the business world, and your comment is dead wrong anyway. Linux is used far more in the business world than the desktop world.

5) You've made up excuses for people being douches. Good for you. They're still douches and they still make it not work the time/effort to downgrade to Linux.

You are proof that douches are on all forums.

And if you actually spend time on a Linux support forum, you see tons of people come in and ask their question with shit like "omg this sucks in windows it is so easy why do you guys suck so much please fix my problem" in practically every other thread.

6) Again, way to be a pretentious douche. You reason #8 jackass. You continue to tell people that should downgrade to something that is more difficult to use in order to satisy the greasy hippie army that feels the need to "fight the man". Have fun.

It would be marvellous if people were honest enough to state this as bluntly as I've listed it above. After all, Linux isn't for everybody.

The fuck? How do you get pretentious douche from the guy saying "yeah, it isn't for everybody"?

Back