Top 10 Things to do with a New Computer

Menelmarar

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.techwarelabs.com/top-10-things-to-do-with-a-new-computer/

Really not worth my time, but got some time to kill :eek: My 0.02.

1. PC Decrapifier
Anyone have experience? For my few friends and family that go that route, I typically just open ARP and browse the list and clean it up, only takes a couple minutes...

2. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
They fail to mention Avira, MSE, or Avast... which are all worthy alternatives.

4/5 Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, Trend Micro HijackThis
More bloat, always running, real-time monitoring apps? Do we really need this slowing down the PC? I may install something like this if I suspected a problem, but beyond antivirus... I haven't really seen the need. Most malware isn't malicious as much as it just bogs down the system.. like a real-time scanner would. For the malicious stuff, anti-virus *should* pick it up.

7 Adobe?
Foxit seems like the much better faster leaner alternative these days...

4/5 are not real time running apps, learn what they are/how they work before criticizing them

First thing I ALWAYS do is go to http://ninite.com/ and install all basic apps at once.

ninite.jpg

I like having a nice free anti-spyware and anti-virus application, but I don't believe that either is necessary to have running 24x7 when not on a big school or work LAN and prefer to do scans manually as I feel necessary.

On new computers, I prefer to just download the necessary drivers onto a pen-drive (which ensures its the latest available) and reinstall Windows fresh. Only way to do it right IMO. :)

I like having a nice free anti-spyware and anti-virus application, but I don't believe that either is necessary to have running 24x7 when not on a big school or work LAN and prefer to do scans manually as I feel necessary.

On new computers, I prefer to just download the necessary drivers onto a pen-drive (which ensures its the latest available) and reinstall Windows fresh. Only way to do it right IMO. :)

I used to feel this way but I just don't think that you have a choice to run a real time scanner these days. The scanners are MUCH better these days at keeping their foot print light. Microsoft Security Essentials has virtually NO impact on performance even on my crappy netbook on Windows 7.

The risks are simply to high and the scanners so good that there's just no excuse for not running real time protection these days. MSE SHOULD be included by default in Windows but we have all of those companies looking out for us consumers. </sarcasm>

i've decrapified a pc in the past and although it worked quite well, there's nothing like a good clean windows install

While ninite.com is terrific, and saves a lot of time, I sometimes hate how it follows the default settings for certain programs. I wish there was a way to change it so I wouldn't have to go back in and get rid of the start-up options and shortcuts. (Maybe there is in a later version but when I used it a few months ago there wasn't)

the ONLY way to totally "decrapify" any computer is to do a format and fresh install.

umm I think overclocking should be on the list lol. But this looks like more of software beginners guide.

Seen this before but i forgot about it thanks,
Doesn't have everything i need though... close enough

Back