Top 10 Games of the Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gamasutra has posted a list today of the Top 10 Games of the Year. While I may not agree with all of their choices, I do have to say that DOOM wholeheartedly deserves to be on that list.

It's the list-making time of year here at Gamasutra. Every December, we each agonize over our own personal Top 10 games of they year. But we also feel that it's important to offer a list of games that we have discussed and decided upon collectively. Our criterion: “the games that will remain in our memories as having defined the year for technical sophistication, storytelling, innovation, and pure intangible experience value.”

Doom and Overwatch are really fun games, and I honestly didn't expect that of either of them prior to release.

Two pleasant surprises in an otherwise "meh" year.

While I do like, and play Clash Royale; I cant believe the Pokemon game didnt make it. Didnt that break single day download records? Sure nobody plays it these days, but still.

Gamasutra is all in with the narrative. Just look at Mafia III:

The game’s design also does a great job at conveying, through systems, some small piece of what I think it must feel like to be a mixed-race man living in the South. For example, there are two separate on-screen indicators that show the player where danger is -- one is a standard red reticle that appears during combat and spikes in different directions to indicate where enemies (and damage) are coming from, while the other is a blue reticle that shows the player where nearby police are and how strongly they’re looking at you.

Yes, because a police indicator is unique to this open world game because you play a black person :rolleyes:. I sure know much more now about the oppression black people must feel every day through this simple GUI feature...

Firewatch:

Firewatch is a game about two people talking in the woods, and I love it. It’s a great example of how a team can craft a game with vibrant, believable characters and meaningful choices without falling back anointing the player as the savior/destroyer of the world.

Meaningful choices? The outcome of the story is the same no matter what, and despite having the illusion of openness the narrative still plays out on rails. Aside from that, I would hardly call this walking simulator a game.

Clash Royale, Never heard of it
Doom had an awesome SP campaign, MP was good but not Doom
Firewatch I didn't play but heard it was meh
Job Simulator, VR, meh, I dunno, don't have VR setup and neither does anyone else
The Last Guardian is supposedly buggy as hell and extremely repetitive, but a neat idea
Mafia 3, agenda-driven white-hate game which is supposedly also buggy as hell
Overwatch is pretty good but I wish there were some more game modes / variety in maps. I guess I'm just not vested enough to get to mid/high tier of skill in the game
Stardew Valley is a great game, perfect Harvest Moon homage
Titanfall 2 is supposedly great too, and its been on sale for as low as $15...which my dumbass didn't jump on.
Thumper - Never heard of it

No XCOM2? Are they nuts or what? That's easily game of the year no questions about it.

Mafia 3 was an OK game, but compared to one and two it is a joke.
Firewatch - indie game, short, no replayability, stupid ending, what does it do on this list?
Doom - I suppose it's ok, but nothing great, the only reason it's worth mentioning because it was really a slow year.
Last Guardian - is a japanese niche game, fully narrative driven, as I heard from some people it's a stretch to even call it a proper game.
Haven't played or even heard enough about the rest to comment on them.

Also Mankind Divided should've made this year's list easily.

a top10 list for the same site that wrote this garbage ? "'Gamers' don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' are over."

o_o; i'd rather refer to more credible critics like total biscuit or some other.

Gamasutra is all in with the narrative. Just look at Mafia III:

The game’s design also does a great job at conveying, through systems, some small piece of what I think it must feel like to be a mixed-race man living in the South. For example, there are two separate on-screen indicators that show the player where danger is -- one is a standard red reticle that appears during combat and spikes in different directions to indicate where enemies (and damage) are coming from, while the other is a blue reticle that shows the player where nearby police are and how strongly they’re looking at you.

Yes, because a police indicator is unique to this open world game because you play a black person :rolleyes:. I sure know much more now about the oppression black people must feel every day through this simple GUI feature...
I don't mind the police indicator but it's way overdone. Cops also seem to be everywhere which is rather odd and you appear to be the only "black male" they chase down for whatever reason.

It's a good open world sandbox but not a GOTY contender. Could have been great if most of the missions were more story-driven, unique and rewarding.

Top worst games of the year: Mafia 3(broken and ugly pos), Doom 4(just hype), Firewatch, The Last Guardian, Titanfall 2
Good games list: Shadow Warrior 2, Obduction, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak(overpriced), Shardlight
I would add Rise of the Tomb Raider but 2015 was the official release date.

Back