8. Bioshock.
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
6. Quake II.
5. GoldenEye 007.
4. Halo 2.
3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
2. Doom.
1. Half-Life 2.

Agree? Disagree? I think this is a great list and is a good top 10 of the best FPS'.

Quake 1 is on in my top 5 or 3, maybe #1... just loved the atmosphere in that game, never felt such immersion and adrenaline since...

Also didn't care for HL2 at all. Where is Doom 2016?

Not a bad list. I don't really agree with Halo 2 or CS:GO (original Counter-Strike makes more sense), but the rest seem worthy.

Really depends how you classify FPS. Despite technically being an FPS, I'd classify Metroid as an adventure game, since shooting is more or less incidental.

At any rate:

1) Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
2) UT 2K4
3) Marathon 2: Durandal
4) Half Life
5) Halo 3
6) Perfect Dark
7) Doom
8) Goldeneye
9) Far Cry
10) Far Cry 3

Games that I don't really think of as FPSs but technically are:
- Deus Ex
- Metroid Prime
- Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

In no particular order -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Series)
No-One Lives Forever (Series)
Quake 3: Arena
Doom
Team Fortress 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena
Deus Ex (Series)
CounterStrike (Series)
Metro (Series)
System Shock 2

Too broad of a category, but solid list.

A couple I think you could make a good argument for:

Turok 1&2
Perfect Dark
Red Faction
Painkiller maybe?

Half Life 2 lol.
Such a piece of crap game got number 1.

This list smells worse than my turd after eating Korean.

GoldenEye 007 has not aged well. I can replay every game on that list but this one. Bravo for what it did for its time at least.

It's not ideal to have MP-FPS titles in the same list as SP-FPS imo, while technically they are in the same 'genre' the actual game design of each is so different it does not make sense to have them competing in the same category. Separate MP and SP lists would make much more sense.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Metroid Prime and Goldeneye? What a joke. You don't even have to aim in Metroid Prime.

Any "Best FPS" list that's missing Quake 3 cannot be taken seriously.

I can't believe it's been two days and Duke Nukem (the original), didn't make any list.

Nice lists, but I agree with Namx01, Duke Nukem should've took place on that list. Also I'd put some Medal of Honor (of course only the old series) or Battlefield there. (Only because the multi-player...)

Half-Life (y)

Half-Life 2 (n)

I'd rank Riddick: Butcher Bay higher than all but COD4 and Quake 2 on that list.

1. Doom
2. Quake 3 Arena
3. Counterstrike 1.6
4. Half Life
5. Unreal Tournament
6. Call of duty 1
7. System Shock
8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
9. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
10. Tribes

R.O.T.T.

Old school AVP

Mass Effect 2

Dead Space 2 had some awesome screwed up scenes

You need s faster computer if you're only getting 10 fps on Doom.

Well, approximately ranked by estimated playtime. The list is not comprehensive but 10 was not quite enough. Though, if you lumped mods together with the base game the list may become quite short.

Counter Strike x to 1.6
Team Fortress
Day of Defeat
CS Source
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament
-
--Misc Half Life (mods)--
Empires
Science and Industry
Opera
...probably missing a few...
-
UT 2k4
Enemy Territory
Battlefield 2/2142
Call of Duty
Quake 3 (to be taken seriously)

As far as I'm concerned, the first 3 spots belong to the big 3 developers, not only for prior games, but do to how they shaped the industry.

#1. ID Software. Their early work is the most important. They got a second chance at life when they were bought by Bethesda. Doom 2016 is ID coming back with a vengeance.
#2. Valve Software. They no longer seem to be a game developer, but Steam is still the #1 distributor of PC games.
#3. Epic Software. Although they haven't made a hit on PC since UT2K4, the Unreal engine lives up to its name and is now even being used to animate entire movies.

After that... in no certain order.
-FarCry (original only). Although the 3 and 4 were decent, the original was the real groundbreaker in terms of pushing graphics and pseudo-sandbox style FPS
-Call of Duty 1 and its ex-pack. No game has quite replicated that feeling of sacrifice and everything that was at stake during war, including its sequels. Medal of Honor came close, but not quite.
-Alien vs Predator 1 and 2. Crazy long campaigns from 3 factions with intertwined stories. The multiplayer changed the conventions with Aliens that could crawl through hidden ducts/along ceilings, Predators that would be invisible, crazy powerful, but heavily outnumbered, and Marines that fit the normal conventions.
-Tribes 1&2. Another game with radically different MP playstyle.
-Planetside series. This series is the de-facto MMO FPS. I have yet to see another FPS match its scale. After years of tweaking, the F2P version does come close to originals.
-Duke Nukem 3D. The original zero-fucks-given videogame. A game meant to reverse the gamer's roles and push everyone else's buttons.
-Goldeneye 64. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it did help increase popularity and make FPS more mainstream through Nintendo's insane marketshare. It also holds the title of being the best video game based on a specific movie, ever. Admittedly, that is a very low bar to meet. I do believe it meets the qualifications for the list, but only barely.

Honorable Mentions:
-Battlefield Series. IMHO, no other multiplayer FPS has done vehicular combat as well. Latest iterations of the game have been slipping in gameplay value compared to the original.
-Halo (original only). Same reason as Goldeneye 64. Bringing FPS to mainstream.

Last edited:
ROTT
Ut2k4
Doom
Fear
Sof2
Call of duty MW
Red faction
Quake 3
There some others I cant think of right now.

My top ten:

1 - Team Fortress Classic
2 - Counter Strike
3 - Goldeneye
4 - Half Life
5 - Unreal Tournament
6 - Quake III Arena
7 - Quake
8 - Rise of the Triad
9 - Heretic
10 - Doom

HM - Wolfenstein 3d, Doom 2, Hexen, Strife, CS:GO, Half Life 2, Team fortress 2, Perfect Dark, Fallout New Vegas, Call of Duty, Duke Nukem

The new doom game is great and sniper elite 4 is a lot of fun too but im a bigger fan of the old games i grew up with.

In no particular order because they're all fantastic, and yes there's more than 10 but I just added them as they stood out in my mind:

• Crysis (surprised nobody mentioned this one yet)
  • F.E.A.R. (surprised nobody mentioned this either. Probably the best shooter of the past decade or more at this point).
  • Half Life series
  • Doom (2016 & 3)
  • Prey
  • Wolfenstein New Order & Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 1,2,3, & Infinite Warfare)
  • Goldeneye
  • UT2K4
  • Destiny
  • Red Faction
  • Painkiller
  • Halo
  • Counter Strike Source
  • FarCry 1 & 3

Half Life 2 lol.
Such a piece of crap game got number 1.

This list smells worse than my turd after eating Korean.

Korean food has fiber in it, that bad smell is probably from the cancer-causing toxins that it is scraping out of your colon from years of poor diet and exercise.

Regarding the list, I think you will never find a definitive 1-10 ranking, and think just including at top 10, without numerical rank, is more realistic.

UT and Q3 were essentially fighting for the same market, and split it in half at the time so it's hard to include one without the other.

There have been so many good games ruined with terrible stories, and so many sequels that it's hard to say what the best really is. There's definitely a tier above most others that only about 15-20 games really occupy though. Not having a Far Cry, Crysis, or Battlefield game on this list really seems to make it less relevant.

10. Metroid Prime.
9. Unreal Tournament.
8. Bioshock. Ummm, no
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. ummmm, fuck no

6. Quake II.
5. GoldenEye 007.
4. Halo 2. Hahaha- No
3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Just... No

2. Doom.
1. Half-Life 2. lol, No

Born in the 90's huh?

I'd probably just go with (in no real particular order):

Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 1 with a shitload of mods like Rocket Arena and CTF
Counter-Strike
Half-Life 2
Unreal Tournament 2K4 for MP and the original Unreal for SP
Far Cry
Serious Sam
Destiny (this really grew on me recently)

Think this game list depends more on if you are talking about multiplayer or singleplayer. Games like Half-life did well singeplayer while games like Quake excelled at multiplayer.

Anyways, my list for top multiplayer FPS:
1. Quake 2
2. Counter-Strike 1.6
3. CoD4: Modern Warfare
4. Overwatch
5. Battlefield 1942
6. Unreal Tournament 2k4
7. Counter-Strike Source
8. Quake 3: Arena
9. Team Fortress 2
10. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Too broad of a category, but solid list.

A couple I think you could make a good argument for:

Turok 1&2
Perfect Dark
Red Faction
Painkiller maybe?

Was coming in to mention Turok 2. I played that way more than GoldenEye

Kinda shocked no one has mentioned Alien Vs. Predator on the PC.

That was my first 3d accelerated fps.

Good times!

1.) Doom
2.) Quake
3.) Quake III Arena
4.) Unreal Tournament
5.) Unreal Tournament 2004
6.) Half-Life
7.) Half-Life 2
8.) Crysis
9.) Counterstrike (I hate this game, but it deserves recognition for what it is.)
10.) Halo: Combat Evolved

There are many more that are probably worthy of being on this list and I avoided putting sequels on it unless they really delivered something new or had a great deal of longevity. Games were picked based on contribution to the genre, technology at the time of release, and staying power or influence on the market.

In no particular order for me...I am thinking more of MP since I don't care about SP.

COD 1
COD 2
Soldier of Fortune 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty 4
Team Fortress Classic
Golden-Eye

I never got into the Unreal series or any of the arena shooters. Futuristic weapons was always a turn-off to me since I didn't enjoy the high speed gameplay.

In no particular order for me...I am thinking more of MP since I don't care about SP.

COD 1
COD 2
Soldier of Fortune 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty 4
Team Fortress Classic
Golden-Eye

I never got into the Unreal series or any of the arena shooters. Futuristic weapons was always a turn-off to me since I didn't enjoy the high speed gameplay.

I'm the opposite. I'm far better at the chaotic arena shooters than I am stuff like Battlefield or even CoD. I prefer the fast pace game play.

I play these Games its really awesome games.
Counter Strike.
Balck.
Call of Duty series.
Half Life series.
F.E.A.R. series.
These are the some best games name and the mostly I like its the Devil May Cry 1,2,3 and 4 It is very awesome game.

Back