Tools to flash and recover BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (FD44Editor, FTK)

Guys, is the ME protected on the Haswell boards (see sig)?

Small problem. The ME firmware 9.1.1 and 9.1.2 force BCLK to 99.8 and it won't change. Minor annoyance as I don't use it but it's a problem. Obviously cannot roll back to 9.0.x using the update tool so figured I'll use FTK "merefl.bat"?

update: it's protected, error 26.

update2: Tried the SCEWIN mod to the BIOS and then global reset. Still giving error 26 write access.

If someone knows a way, interested to hear.

Last edited:
error-id10t, you can try pinmod of HDA chip to remove lock, but I don't know if it works on 8 series systems.
Or you can by any cheap SPI programmer form Ebay and don't bother about any locks anymore.

Thanks

I did find this post.

http://www.win-raid.com/t171f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-and-Tools-14.html#msg5216

Doesn't go into details beyond mentioning FTK but supposedly he was able to remove the lock. He appears to have Q87.

Update: removed header from a BIOS file using UEFITOOL. Then tried to simply run the command: fptw -rewrite -me -f bios.bin .. just wanted to check if it was the initial dump (which does a read and gives error 26) or also actual ME giving the error.

Error 25: The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area. To enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

Update2: Decided to use FITC and simply copy all the ASUS released settings into the 9.1.2 ME firmware. Then flashed it over. That worked but interestingly BCLK is still "stuck" at 99.8.

Final update: Given up, 2 days of trial and error has given me a headache. I'll order a new BIOS Chip from ASUS eStore, that should fix it.

Last edited:
Edited

Figured it out. Added instructions in next post

Last edited:
For anybody having the overclocking issues (Turbo Multipliers not taking effect in windows, ME Version: N/A) on the Z77 chipset

download whatever your current bios is (Mine was 1707) on my MVE
download the windows 98 dos files here (http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...dos-bootable-flash-drive-create-win98boot.zip)
download the HP Bootable USB Stick Utility here (http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html)

create your bootable dos stick w/ the above utilities
copy the DOS folder contents (not the folder itself, just the files inside) of the FTK zip to your bootable USB stick
rename your downloaded asus bios file (which will most likely have a .CAP extension) to bios.bin and copy it to your bootable dos usb stick
boot that dos stick
you should be at a C:\> Prompt
type merefl bios.bin
let it do it's thing
type poweroff

your system will shut down, then reboot

YOU SHOULD BE FIXED

this fixed my issue, so easy!

Friends need your help (sorry for my English, I speak Spanish), currently have a plate Asus p8p67 deluxe + i5 2500. I plan to buy a i7 3770k but I tell that the processor is compatible from the bios 3207 (have the 2302), so you download the bios 3602 and update I get the following error "Image integrity check failed", probe with the bios, 3207 and 3509 giving the same error; But if I use the bios 2302 refreshes normal.

Search on the internet and saw that some holders of this card had the same problem, but in all the forums (in Spanish) that did not give a possible solution, I just said that buying the bios chip.

Since I live in Venezuela do not have dollars which is difficult to do me with a chip, segui investigating until I found this forum, I read the entire guide (translated it) but I'm not very clear steps to follow. It would be helpful if some of you help me saying specifically that I do; Greetings from Venezuela...

Here my question in Spanish (if someone from the Forum speaks this language)

Code:
Amigos necesito de su ayuda (disculpen mi ingles, hablo español), actualmente poseo una placa Asus p8p67 deluxe + i5 2500. Tengo pensado comprar un i7 3770k pero me di cuenta que el procesador es compatible desde la bios 3207 (poseo la 2302), Asi que descargue la bios 3602 y al actualizar sale el siguiente error "Image integrity check failed", probé con la bios 3207 y 3509 dando el mismo erro; pero si uso la bios 2302 actualiza normal.

Busque por internet y vi que algunos poseedores de esta tarjeta tenían el mismo problema, pero en todos los foros (en español) que entre no daban una posible solución, solo me decían que comprar el chip bios.

Debido a que vivo en Venezuela no poseo dolares lo cual hace difícil hacerme con un chip, seguí indagando hasta que me encontré con este foro, lei toda la guía (la traduje) pero no me quedo muy claro los pasos a seguir. Seria de ayuda si algunos de ustedes me ayudara diciendo específicamente que debo hacer; saludos desde Venezuela

Also leave the Forum in Spanish where I mention the problem

http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=427478

Last edited:
Redownload bios 3207 from the ASUS website.
Try flashing the bios again. Your initial flash may have been corrupted.
Use the EZ-flash method. Dont do it from/in windows.

I did the following:

1. lower the 3207 bios from Asus page
2. create a folder on local disk C and introduced the bios
3. restart the pc, enter asus ez flash 2 utility v01.04 select bios and gave me this error: Image integrity check failed

The only bios I Flash is the 2302, I want to put an i7 3770k but the bios it prevents me from :(

Last edited:
Here is an image of the bios 2302-3602, I see that they have different data; not be if influence when updating

10702169_724476834293601_8903368389549549074_n.png

Like I said, don't use windows to do the flash.

D/L the bios to a flash drive.
restart the computer with the flash drive plugged in.
enter the BIOS on restart

Go to EZ Flash

follow the instructions to flash the BIOS from the file on the flash drive.

@Reality And try the bios: 3207-3509-3602. The only one that I can Flash without error is 2302 bios

what windows version do you use?

are you picking the correct BIOS version for your windows version?

send raja the ASUS rep a PM......he's pretty helpful on issues like this.

Windows 8.1 up1 x64

Yes

send raja the ASUS rep a PM......hes pretty helpful on issues like this.

I have to report my problem to this address [email protected]

Windows 8.1 up1 x64

Yes

send raja the ASUS rep a PM......hes pretty helpful on issues like this.

I have to report my problem to this address [email protected]

Dude, Raja is the ASUS Community Rep who hangs out here.
Many, many times he has helped people with problems.
You'll find posts in this thread by him.
Just click on his name, open up the box and send him a PM about your problem.
He can help you in ways no CS people can.
He has direct access to engineering.

Raja@ASUS ASUS Community Support, 3.4 Years

@Reality @magoo Thank you for your help friends, just send a PM to @Raja. Let us hope that with their knowledge, we can find a solution; Greetings from Venezuela...

Hallo..I cant flash Asus Sabertooth Z97 with this tools?
any suggestions?

Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor.
Error occured during backup phase. Exiting.
Thank you for using FTK. Have a nice day.

any way i can flash the bios to support an ivy bridge chip if the board is off and won't turn on past the memory light holding up the process since the new chip isn't yet supported so it can't handle the memory controller?

i feel sooo dumb i cant understand any of this.. lol My ME is messed up and see no turbo ratio or IGPU .asus 'fixed" my motherboard and sent it back with this issue. wish it was just a single click program to re do th ME.

Hello, my first post here :)

I have a question or two regarding this topic:

I have Asus P8Z68 Deluxe (not GEN3), and i5-3570k CPU. The problem is in BIOS there's no option for adjusting multiplier. Is that a normal behavior that this mobo doesn't support OC of ivy bridge CPUs, or BIOS is corrupted somehow? If it is, is it fixable by the process explained in the introduction post of this topic?

Can some one help me out i don't have a DTS Key sticker and my UUID is gone as i re-programmed my bios chip so i have a DTS key sticker off a old Asus board that's dead i want to use this key to make a new UUID but don't understand completely on how to reconstruct one? the code is 4 numbers to short?

Hi all,

I am trying to flash my p8p67 pro board, but unfortunately i get the following error message:
Error 201: [FPT.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.

Has anybody an idea how to fix that?

Currently I've got the 3602 Bios along with 8.0.xxxxxx ME.

I see that the TE is not using this forum anymore but anyway, maybe someone else knows this issue.

I created an account here in the forum only to thank the CodeRush and the Reality for the tips and tutorials.

I was almost hopeless to recover my P8Z77 -V Pro and following a few steps of one and the other managed to recover the multiplier , XMP RAM and the management of my system .

Thank you :)

hugs

(sorry for my bad english, I'm Brazilian)

Hi,

Been experimenting with the FD44Editior 0.9.2 on a copy of my Z68 Deluxe bios that I have updated with Ubutool v1.9 and it doesn't show the ME and Gbe version but all the serial and mac address info is there. This is on a recent mod of my bios where I know I have a working ME and that I've updated it to a recent version. This copy is of a rom I got from saving a backup in the Asus flash utility (prior to that the bios was modded some I'm sure).

Anyhow the weird thing is that on the stock Asus bios (same version) ME version and Gbe version is listed but not the mac and serial addresses (which I know is by design) but don't get why no ME version and GBe version?

Wont have access to that computer for another week to verify the ME version with MEinfo utility but pretty sure its running a recent version. I think the FD44editor might have a problem reading updated roms..

Thanks

Last edited:
I see many topics and messages all over the Internet, where people with CPU-multiplier stuck at 35x are asking for help, but receiving only responses like "Try to clear CMOS", "Buy new BIOS chip from EBay", "RMA the crap" etc. Enough of that!

My I5 3570K only reaches 3.4Ghz, turbo boost is not working, and overclocking over 3.4 is just ignored.

I had this issue after a power failure, I had no clue how to fix it, Asrock Z77 Pro3 motherboard, some people in another thread fix it by physically changing the ROM but the problem reappear after a while, also Asrock say the same thing, that maybe the IM Firmware was corrupted, changing the ROM is not an option in my country (I hope they send it here too, waiting for them to answer that)

there is any chance I can fix this on my motherboard doing something to the IM firmware, any way of restore it? :confused:

Maybe someone can put me in the right direction, thanks

Edit1: It seems that everything is working fine under Linux...
how is possible that Windows prevent the multiplier from changing?... (power options at 100%)
(is not just cosmetic, because I run benchmarks, in both OSs)
Edit2: another windows 7 works... so is a software issue in Windows 10... reinstaling the drivers didn't work.

Last edited:
I thought my flash worked correctly. ( other than GBE and PDR regions not found messages) but now after a day or so I get " This windows is not genuine message ", is there a way to revert what I did? I used FTK 8 to reflash all regions, to go from bios 3602 to 2303 on my p8p67. Then to make sure I used the bios utility to flash 2303 again.

When I boot the PC, it reboots once and if I press "Del" to enter bios settings 3 cursors (on the left middle and right side of the screen) light up 2 times, and then I can enter BIOS settings.

hi guis!
i have a asus p8b75m-le exacly like the first example, and the two bios chip 25q64bvaig, both crashed! i cant backup any information of them... the board is working, how i know that? its working with a P8H61M bios!! @@ it starts and working with windows 10 @@

but i really want to put the original bios back, i have the programer usb device and use CH41A and the .CAP file downloadeble on asus website, but when i open it on fd44editor shows ¨ME region: not present¨. Anyway i put all data and convert do .bin file and program on the chip using the usb device, but the board doesnt start. Tried so many times!!
Someone have the .bin file backuped and showing the ME vr. like the first example?
or any other sugestions?

that topic was very helpfull anyway im very thank you guis for that.

sry bad english..

You could get a bios backup from bios depot and use a spi programmer to reprogram the correct bios.
But you have to pay for the bios file though.

Hello guys.

Well, i have a problem, I changed my VGA recently and my multiplier disappeard and BIOS won't save any changes anymore.

I thinks it's a corrupted ME region, since I cant overclock anymore.

My question is: Is it possible to brick my MOBO reflashing only the ME region? ( merefl ) / Is there another solution or something i can do? / And which FTK version should i use?

MOBO: P8Z68-V Pro

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I have a P8H77 V LE and a Bios version 1307. I tried reflashing ME, to no effect. The program does its thing without errors but I still have no Turbo Ratio options. I also tried the "reflash" command but it gives me error 280. All I have left to try is flashing with an older BIOS version, but i'm not sure if this is safe. Is it ok to try and reflash ME with an older .CAP (renamed as bios.bin). Thanks a lot!

Hello guys.

Well, i have a problem, I changed my VGA recently and my multiplier disappeard and BIOS won't save any changes anymore.

I thinks it's a corrupted ME region, since I cant overclock anymore.

My question is: Is it possible to brick my MOBO reflashing only the ME region? ( merefl ) / Is there another solution or something i can do? / And which FTK version should i use?

MOBO: P8Z68-V Pro

Thanks!

Hi I have the same mobo and was suffering from same issue since last fortnight. I registered here just to share my thoughts. Probably, it will save a lot of time for you and others.

Yes, you can flash only the ME region, just like I did today. Use FTK 8 for your mobo, as other versions are not compatible. So, All The Best!!!

I've got a p8z77-v with latest BIOS 2104. I've had 2*8gb and just added another exact pair.
Bios and windows identify only 16gb while cpu-z identifies 32gb.
I've tried to update to latest ME. Update was successful, however, still only 16gb.
Any ideas?

EDIT:
Managed to get it working after trying a few BIOS/ME combinations.
What worked for me was flashing BIOS 2003 and then flashing ME from BIOS 1805 (8.1.2.1318)

Last edited:
Back