Tools to flash and recover BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (FD44Editor, FTK)

There are 2 separate issues here
When the ME bios partition is borked, user can no longer SET dif multi's in bios, or multi's wont stick after reboot, and or IGPU wont work.

Intel CPU turbo mode (programmed into die) cannot co-exist with a manual set of CPU overclock. In other words when you type multi to something (like 44) and hit enter, then the turbo option instantly blacks out wherever showing in bios options, its now blocked - no more "enable/disable"

Since you have had "missing" messages, and I dont know what exactly you have done along the way, a new chip from ASUS may be a good new starting point, either running manual overclock, or Turbo, not both.

My chip is in the mail! I hope it solves this problem.

Somewhere along the way I managed to get my board data flashed in with BIOS ver 1502 which I edited with FD44Editor. I think it was the reflash command that I tried in frustration.

After reading the links regarding UEFI cisco guy posted I also did a new Win 7 installation to a GPT partition in UEFI mode. Installed the chipset drivers and EMI and still no sign of Turbo Ratio/Multipliers.

Cisco guy it sounds like you're saying that once disabled Ever by Anyone they're gone for good. Is that correct? If so that seems very unusual to have a hardware/firmware feature that cannot be reset to a previous condition.

Forgive me if I'm out in Left Field here...

your new chip will solve your problems, takes 5 working days to ship.
(chip only goes in one way - look at where little half moon NOTCH in plastic is on old chip)
Also any new chip install requires a PSU unplugged cmos reset before using.

Its not "disabled" - its a bios partition corrupted/incomplete, or missing - nothing to do with bios config or settings
Lets say you have a car thats starts making a funny clumping noise.
So you drive it home to see if you can find the issue and fix it.
Then you try to open the hood, but its padlocked closed with a chain and you dont have a key.
Is it fixable - yes
Can you fix it - no, unless you have bolt cutters to break the padlock.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I just ordered a new bios chip.

My chip was not available on Asus estore, but when I look at my motherboard the chip is removable. Found a seller through eBay in my country (Netherlands) and ordered it on their website, a new chip is underway for the total price of € 11.

@Xplosive

I think I know the chip vendor you used.
Everything will prob work out O.K., but I personally only recommend either ASUS or System Electronics, and they ship worldwide (use search box for your chip).
http://stores.ebay.com/syselectronics
The P67 uses a 4MB chip and Z68 Z77 Z87 are 8MB.
Some vendors use the 8MB chip for the P67 and it can cause problems, especially with latest bios vers.
Just fwiw.

The 32Mb chip part number is 4MB and the 64Mb chip part number is 8MB

tVcf2qj.jpg

Last edited:
Got the new chip in the mail. It's the 4MB version. Pretty fast service ordered it yesterday (on a sunday), got it today.

So, disconnect power, remove current chip, place new chip, reset CMOS, connect power.

Power on, see POST, it's the latest BIOS version for my motherboard. Go to BIOS AI tweaker and:
43xv.jpg

Where's my turbo ratio setting? :confused:
I've got a 3570K with an unlocked multiplier...
I'm lost here what else can be going on? Your help is much appreciated.

Wow, 2/3 of AIT page is missing!
Wish you had showed me that first.
Thats not Turbo missing, thats everything missing.
So we will have to go back to basics
Did you get all 8 pins IN each of the female receptacles?
Is the chip all the way down all around, sitting/contacting on top of socket?
Those chips can fool you if they are not out in open.
Get a good quality 5X or higher magnifying glass and look in the LGA grid to see if any pins are sightly bent out of place under dif light angles - gotta look real careful.
Anything in the grid that doesnt look the same as the rest of it.
Use same mag glass to see if your CPU does say 3570K on top
Use 99% isopropyl alcohol to wipe back of CPU of fingerprints
Look above first vid slot and tell me exactly what it says there - P8H67 Rev 3.0?
Did you buy CPU/mobo mobo new? From a big vendor?
Try mobo out of case
What heatsink are you using? Maybe shorting to backside mobo traces..
Did you EVER have a full AIT page with any bios/CPU?
Did you ever use a dif CPU?
You could have a bad CPU - is there anyone you know whereby you can try the CPU in a not being used mobo (P67 X58 Z77) - any old model mobo someone may have one laying around, or try some other CPU in yours?

http://imgur.com/a/8V5Gr#5

Last edited:
Not sure about the H67 boards but with my Z77 board the AI Overclock Tuner needs to be set to Manual or X.M.P. mode to be able to see certain things in that menu. My turbo ratio/multipliers are MIA also but the manual says they only show up if not in Auto.

Still anxiously awaiting my BIOS chip. Sure hope my turbo mode starts working.

Edit: I also remember reading something about the H boards in general having rather limited overclocking support.

Last edited:
Valky - you just might have something there - heh
I have no experience whatsoever with H series mobo, so I downloaded the manual and sure enough, theres not much there, esp no Turbo, unless you set EIST to enabled FIRST.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67/#support_Download_30
I think our guy will just have to buy some cheap ~$120 Z77 basic mobo to do full O/C. The only way he will be able to see if turbo is working is to run CPU-Z with some stress bench like super pi also in operation.
UAbkk0z.jpg

Since your CPU is a locked Xeon, that may be your issue too.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/65732,65520
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1693642
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...turbo-boost/intel-turbo-boost-technology.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1317934/e3-1230-or-3570k

Clicking on the CPU Power Management link from the Ai Tweaker main page opens the CPU Power Management submenu. This page contains CPU specific settings for CPU Turbo Mode operation. The CPU Ratio setting controls the non-Turbo Mode CPU multiplier setting. The Turbo Mode option can only be enabled with the CPU Ratio option set to Auto and the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology setting enabled. The Additional Turbo Mode Voltage setting controls how much additional voltage is supplied to the CPU when Turbo Mode activates, with up to a 1.00V upper limit allowed. Note that the CPU Ratio setting must be set to Auto in order to configure the CPU Ratio setting through the Windows based TurboV applet.

SEnivq8.jpg

Edit:
Might also mention P8H67 non B3 mobo were part of the ASUS recall back in 2011
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/Identify_B3_Motherboards/

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I actually read through them before. I read everything I could find on the net before deciding on the E3 Xeon. It's supposed to support the same "limited unlocked" capability that any late gen I5 or I7 non K processor does provided it's mated with a Z77 chipset. At least that is my understanding. I have read reports of people achieving the plus four turbo bins allowing 3.7 to 4.1 GHz operation with this same chip.

I hope ASUS has not purposely disabled this capability for the E3's which are essentially 3770's with ecc enabled and the onboard video enabled or not depending on E3 model.

Whatever happens, I do not regret advising buying a known correctly programmed chip to both of you. Its a cheap way to eliminate any bios flash as a complicating issue. Saves lots of troubleshooting wasted time.

Cisco guy, I answered your questions in-line below.

Wow, 2/3 of AIT page is missing!
Wish you had showed me that first.
Thats not Turbo missing, thats everything missing.
So we will have to go back to basics
Did you get all 8 pins IN each of the female receptacles?
Is the chip all the way down all around, sitting/contacting on top of socket?
Those chips can fool you if they are not out in open.
Yes I checked the chip it is in Correctly
Get a good quality 5X or higher magnifying glass and look in the LGA grid to see if any pins are sightly bent out of place under dif light angles - gotta look real careful.
Anything in the grid that doesnt look the same as the rest of it.
Use same mag glass to see if your CPU does say 3570K on top
Use 99% isopropyl alcohol to wipe back of CPU of fingerprints
Look above first vid slot and tell me exactly what it says there - P8H67 Rev 3.0?
No it just says P8H67, not Rev 3.0
Did you buy CPU/mobo mobo new? From a big vendor?
Took the mobo from work, it was used before and was not going to be used again. Bought the processor new from a big vendor
Try mobo out of case
What heatsink are you using? Maybe shorting to backside mobo traces..
I'm using a Scythe Mugen 3, which is why troubleshooting will be so time consuming
Did you EVER have a full AIT page with any bios/CPU?
Not with my i5 3570K, see below with diff CPU
Did you ever use a dif CPU?
Yes, borrowed an i5 3450 from work to update my BIOS to a version that supported my new i5 3570K. Just checked a computer @ work with same version of mobo and that i5 3450 CPU, there are way more options there in het AIT page.
You could have a bad CPU - is there anyone you know whereby you can try the CPU in a not being used mobo (P67 X58 Z77) - any old model mobo someone may have one laying around, or try some other CPU in yours?

http://imgur.com/a/8V5Gr#5

My system is stable and fast as hell, but knowing I cannot use the full potential of the CPU bothers me. But i'm reaching a point where i'm thinking that the troubleshooting (and possible mistakes made there can mess my system up) is not worth the gain in speed. Even though i'm rather expierenced in building computers mistakes can be made, but I really doubt i'm going to find anything wrong with the CPU/socket pins.

On the other hand, I spent € 200 on a nice CPU if there's something wrong with it I would like a proper one.

Checking the CPU, the socket, the mobo out of the case and the CPU in a different mobo is time consuming and I don't have that at the moment. Any of my answers gave you an idea that it could be my mobo\CPU combination could be limiting my CPU's overclocking abilities?

Edit:
Skipped the last couple of messages you guys wrote by accident. So I think i'm experiencing some problems with my non-Rev3 P8H67 combined with this CPU.
Cisco guy, no problem, the replacing of the BIOS chip was a good idea. Well ok, that's that. I'll look for a different mobo in the near future or just leave it like this.
I have seen the turbo function in action by the way, stressing the CPU boosts the clock speed from ~ 3,3 to about 3.8 Ghz. I just wanted to be able to influence it myself through bios.

Last edited:
As it stands now, I think you are getting all you are gonna get out of this config. And turboing to 3.8 is quite good anyways. If you use an app like mediaespresso, you might even get up to 3.9. I now think your problem is because your mobo is non B3. B3 bios are NOT compatible with non B3 chipset mobo, most especially ones as late as 3XXX. During the transition period I recall that ASUS had 2 dif bios listings for some of the various models/versions. Then B2 support compatibility was abandoned totally - they assumed all defective mobo were returned by then. Also, usually after about a year of use, the SATA 6G ports would slow down gradually, until they were unuseable (for SSD anyway), so you might watch out for that too. Even tho its been 2 years, I would not rule out the possibility of ASUS still exchanging the board. I have read of posters who got new mobo long after the turn in period. This would depend on one being in stock somewhere, probably used or refurb. If you wish, you could call the Fremont Ca. support line. Figure on waiting 20 min

800 Corporate Way Fremont, CA 94539
(510) 739-3777

Last edited:
Well.........new BIOS chip did not solve anything. Very good service from Syselectronics and quick delivery considering circumstances. Now I have two so I can play a bit more.

It looks like I'm not dealing with BIOS corruption or region locking. I'm dealing with feature locking. I have a processor that supports the same turbo technology as any non "K" I5 or I7 Ivy bridge and I don't have access to it. Way to go A...

Anyone know how to unlock BIOS options................

This is freakin' interesting.
Don't know if it's about CPU support module, or just marketing for making people buy "K" processors.

Seems USB flashback does not update the GbE version.
bios backup shows version 0.13
bios flashed shows version 0.15
One quick question before I use FTK gberefl from DOS to update it:
--This motherboard (maximus-V-gene) has 2 LAN connections, one intel, one realteck (I think). So I should have 2 MAC addresses-? will FTK update both of them or is there a special procedure I need to follow?

Any Realtek GBe chip on mobo has nothing to do with bios, its totally separate.
Yes you will have 2 MAC adresses, if you have 2 LAN ports
By using ipconfig /all in cmd prompt (space after "g") you will see them
The only way you will update non Intel LAN port is with a firmware update, which will still keep original MAC.

Any bios chip change or possibly failed flash will erase Intel MAC, but its easily recovered/reset by looking at ATX 24 pin socket, sticker on side, and manually inputting info onto FD 44 and saving it per many posts herein.

Just looked - Max V Gene only has single Intel LAN
FIbotOS.jpg

Thank you Cisco guy: Successfully flashed GbE version update.

Recalling 2 LAN's from previous Mobo -getting old.

Thanks also to Code Rush: First use of FTK, this is a great tool along with the FD44Editor.

OK I have a P8Z68-v pro/gen3 Bork-ed the bios awhile back. Bought a new bios chip But things did not make sense(pages missing in bios). So I did an RMA and they reflashed it and all was good but.. There is not system uuid, DTS or MBSN number. When I make a back up with FTK and load it in FD44Editor it displays an error that no System UUID was found. Then it does not show any info in any field. This being said I have all the stickers mentioned will it be safe to alter the update bios from asus with my info. And do I enter the DTS number or leave it blank.

Last edited:
What do you mean "they reflashed it"?
Who reflashed it?
Where did you buy bios chip that didnt work?
If things are working, why do you want to reflash bios now?
Who cares if its missing some ID info?

The first post here in this thread explains all about auto or manual backup creation (backup.bin) for current bios image and where UUID sticker is and MB ser # sticker is.

If you dont have a UUID sticker you can just make one up similar to the one in pic in first post.

What do you mean "they reflashed it"?
Who reflashed it?
Where did you buy bios chip that didnt work?
If things are working, why do you want to reflash bios now?
Who cares if its missing some ID info?

The first post here in this thread explains all about auto or manual backup creation (backup.bin) for current bios image and where UUID sticker is and MB ser # sticker is.

If you dont have a UUID sticker you can just make one up similar to the one in pic in first post.

ASUS reflashed it.

It was from ASUS eStore

Because I was always bugged about the mac address being 88:88:88:87:88. Don't ask.

But no worries I reflashed it and it's correct now.

I will update the guide in a pair weeks, because it's got a bit old and a pair of new things must be added for sure.

ASUS reflashed it.

It was from ASUS eStore

Because I was always bugged about the mac address being 88:88:88:87:88. Don't ask.

But no worries I reflashed it and it's correct now.

Mac adress? You know there are tools to just change the macadress and that the bios doesnt have anything to do with it?

Actually the INTEL based MAC address is programmed into the bios at time of manufacture by vendor, then also placed on side of 24 pin ATX socket with sticker. Third party LAN chips like Realtek are not affected by erasing flash - these never change, they have their own firmware and firmware tool. There are 4 partitions to the bios. If you do a total wipe (erase) and program, and not just a (bios partition) program then you lose your original MAC, but can easily reinsert it with CodeRush Edit tool.

The 88 88 88 88 etc is just a standard default MAC when none present can be found - like after a wipe. It hurts nothing unless the PC is part of a network - then it will disappear until you redo the MAC or change that PC LAN address in the network.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for posting this!

I was missing my turbo ratio, and I called ASUS, flipping idiots are so dumb, 2 hours later they had no idea what I was talking about... Just reflahsed my me and it resolved my issue! Back to 8 GB ram and can over clock again.

I have damaged ME on Asus Maximus V Gene board. I tried merefl command with bins from post #11 but no luck. Is there any chance to fix it by FTK?

EDIT: Fixed already - figured out, thay I have to download bios from Asus website and change the name to bios.bin. Anyway - thanks for developing such a great tool :)

Last edited:
If you go to the Russian overclocking site as per 1st page of this thread.. then goto the last page of that Russian overclocking thread, you'll see a link to the DOS version of FTK.

This is the link provided there.

http://rghost.ru/53591556

Search it first yourself and decide if that's what you want. I believe it's the right one (at least version matches what I already have).

If you go to the Russian overclocking site as per 1st page of this thread.. then goto the last page of that Russian overclocking thread, you'll see a link to the DOS version of FTK.

This is the link provided there.

http://rghost.ru/53591556

Search it first yourself and decide if that's what you want. I believe it's the right one (at least version matches what I already have).

Thank you! Been searching for a working link for a while. After I updated my bios for the p8p67 i lost my oc options and need to flash the me region.

My question is that if I have a corrupted me region on my old asus board - " P5E VM DO " can I use this program to re-flash the me region with a old bios rom file that isn't UEFI format . This is many years older than the program and if I can't use this program can I use anything else that will let me fix the corrupted me region ? I figure I have nothing to lose since it will only rewrite the me region and shouldn't make my problem worse. Or it will horribly corrupt my bios since it wasn't made for my old board. My bios is working fine except that it says " ME is in recovery mode" on start-up ever since I disabled the north-bridges on-board graphics. Re-installing a new or older bios with the EZ flash utility made no difference, same with CMOS reset. I'm willing to try this tool as my last hope, but I would like someones opinion first on what I should do.

Thanks,

Sincerely - Tyler W

Back