Tool to detect live cabling in walls

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
What is a tool name or recommended link on Amazon of a product that allows me to connect an enternet cable into it and then I can go in with a "wand" or whatever that will make a noise when I put the wand near that cable in a utility closet.

I have a house where the basement looks to be professionally wired by the previous owner; however, I can't find the other side of the cable in the main utility closet. I plugged in a switch into the wall socket downstairs, and then got a switch in the main utility closet and plugged in all ethernet cables I could see but none lit up the port.

^ What he said, toners are a god-send. I have 3 of that item and they all work great!

The other thing you can use is a cable tester that has a main unit and a remote unit. You plug in the main unit to the end you want to send from, and then the remote unit you can plug into the other end where you don't know where the cable ends.

When you find the right one, it will cycle through the wire order. It will let you know if the wiring is correct or not. I am guessing that incorrect wiring may be why you couldn't find it with a switch at each end.

Amazon.com: Tonor TM RJ45 RJ11 RJ12 CAT5 CAT 6 UTP Network Lan Cable Tester Test Tool: Industrial & Scientific

I have found that toners are no good when there is a lot of wiring/interference.

Edit: The one linked by THUMPer would work fine as well. It is a toner and cable tester in one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The other thing you can use is a cable tester that has a main unit and a remote unit. You plug in the main unit to the end you want to send from, and then the remote unit you can plug into the other end where you don't know where the cable ends.

When you find the right one, it will cycle through the wire order. It will let you know if the wiring is correct or not. I am guessing that incorrect wiring may be why you couldn't find it with a switch at each end.

Amazon.com: Tonor TM RJ45 RJ11 RJ12 CAT5 CAT 6 UTP Network Lan Cable Tester Test Tool: Industrial & Scientific

I have found that toners are no good when there is a lot of wiring/interference.

Edit: The one linked by THUMPer would work fine as well. It is a toner and cable tester in one.
I have the one linked here as well and it's helped out a number of times!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back