Too pumped up, can't wait for Mad Max game, so installing Rage...

Gigantism

Gawd
I had tried it when it came out for like 10 mins; was unimpressed, but it wasn't a bad game.
Hoping to find something in there to calm my Mad Max urges (just saw the flick) until the actual game comes out...

I got like 3/4 way though lost my save found another save on the Internet used that one I never finished it I used a controller for the race matches and gameplay great looking game. Not sure if Steam Cloud saved my last save I suppose I should check. I used a Cheat happens code to Max out the AMO in the game was fun just to exploit the game with exploding shotgun shells ect... I really like the Remote Control level you control a RC car and blow up sections you can't reach requires just a little thinking. Boss battles are pretty epic =)

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 if anything.

Last edited:
I tried to play this game when it first came out on an AMD card, wasn't even playable because of the drivers, is it worth revisiting?

I've heard it's actually a pretty good game. The problem is it came out, was unplayable on a ton of cards and the graphics weren't on part with expectations, and it came out right around Borderlands, which made it look like a rip-off. However, now that things have settled down, most people seem to agree that it is a pretty good game.

Oh yeah, I need to try playing Rage again. I've started it and quit 2 or 3 times, mostly because of really frustrating game-play mechanics. I forget what all I hated at the time, mostly I remember the mouse being inverted while driving, which was super annoying, but I think there were a few other things. Really hope some of them have been fixed since the last time I tried it, but I won’t get my hopes up...

One time I got like 4-5 hours in, so I was probably over half-way at that point – it’s a really short game compared to all the ones that are similar to it. I need to give it another shot - it'll probably run great on my new 970.

Also, OP, I assume you've already played these, but in case you haven't: Just Cause 2, Borderlands 1/2/Pre, and Far Cry 3/4 are all great games that put Rage to shame in terms of fun game-play and scope of the game-world. Any of those would be great for scratching the Mad Max itch while you wait.

Rage was actually really fun most of the time, if you could get over the disgusting graphics and sometimes iffy performance. But the ending was just so terrible, it was like they just decided to pack up their bags and just end the game.

lol...now everyone loves Rage and claims it was underrated game...even years after its release everyone was jumping on the 'Rage sucks' bandwagon...

lol...now everyone loves Rage and claims it was underrated game...when it came out everyone was jumping on the 'Rage sucks' bandwagon...

I never jumped on any bandwagon for this game. I did say the graphics suck, and that still stands. The performance is quite "meh" at times too, but the game itself is actually pretty fun. For $60 this game may not have been worth it, but at $5 it is definitely worth a play through. Oh and the people who hated the game back then still do now, the original Rage thread had them raging (lol) when someone posted about the DLC.

I never jumped on any bandwagon for this game. I did say the graphics suck, and that still stands

some of the graphics look stunningly good...the canyon walls in one of those levels looked photorealistic (even close up)...best I've ever seen in a game

Yeah, the graphics in no way "suck". There are some textures here and there, especially in some of the indoors locations that when you get close, you wonder what the hell the artists were thinking. I will grant that. However, most of the time, and in motion, they're still stunning to this day. Some of the meteorite rock formations in the later levels are just gorgeous to the point where I'll just stand or stop the car and stare at them. The driving is more than serviceable, and is actually quite fun, though not to any extremes most of the time. Actually let me rephrase that. The driving is a blast in the open areas between towns. You can just sandbox it up out there, do stunts, get in car fights, etc. The RACING, is what I think is just decent. It's fun, it adds to the game, but not HUGELY so.

The gunplay is amazingly fun, enemies actually try some sneaky things on occasion, approach you based on surrounding environment, weapon type, etc. (except the stupid mutants, who will understandably just charge right at you)

The environments are great, and the characters are cool and believable.

I recommend getting the larger of the two DLCs (unless maybe there's a bundle with both.) I think the smaller one is just extra sewer missions or some such, which are ok, but nothing special. The bigger DLC adds new characters, a new enemy faction, some pretty cool locations to explore, the new player-tag-along is a pretty decent character though not terribly deep. You get an extra weapon or two, etc. etc.

Anyway, yeah, get this game, and enjoy it. As mentioned above, SSD will be beneficial just due to the amount of texture data. (similar though smaller to the new Wolfenstein games in that regard) It's a good game, it's actually quite beautiful despite some sub-par texture work in places, and anyone that will allow themselves to stop hating it for a minute should really like it.

Oh yeah, and yes, as many will point out, the ending is abrupt, like they ran out of time and had to wrap it up. It works, but barely. There should have been a bit more to it. Still though it doesn't ruin the game.

I just tried my 144hz monitor it still stutters it's not smooth I think if you had a Gsync monitor it would look flawless panning the areas.

I hope DOOM 4 doesn't have the same reception

I recently beat it and enjoyed it quite a bit. I actually played it slowly over several years. It's a great game to just play a mission for a bit to get your fill The graphics are pretty good, but the animation is really top notch.

Rage is a fun shooter, Mad Max is a brawler a la Batman. I hope the open world in Mad Max is fun and it turns out to be a nice surprise like Shadows of Mordor.

It was okay. Overall a bit forgettable. Imagine Borderlands with a serious theme and more geared for SP. The gun play was better than BL1/2. I do remember some of the locations when I think about it, but it did feel a lot like BL to me. I have not finished BL2 but when I was playing it some scenes felt like deja vu. I do not recall if I played the DLC. Have a feeling I didn't. Graphically it looked okay, though there was some annoying texture pop in.

Is it worth playing? I'd say yes, it was an okay game. Nothing superb but if you have some spare time I'd recommend it.

lol...now everyone loves Rage and claims it was underrated game...even years after its release everyone was jumping on the 'Rage sucks' bandwagon...

Eh...no. I picked it up for like $5 on a sale, and started out fresh twice on it...never really got more than a few hours. Gunplay felt bad, storyline wasn't very compelling...overall a very forgettable title.

I just tried my 144hz monitor it still stutters it's not smooth I think if you had a Gsync monitor it would look flawless panning the areas.

I hope DOOM 4 doesn't have the same reception

Runs silky smooth for me. I've done nothing more than turn on VSync in the game. Not adaptive or any other option, just standard VSync at 60Hz. Not a single hitch. I play it a lot too, because it's just fun to jump in and do some driving or shooting, so I'd definitely notice. Then again it was like that early on for me too. I think I played it on a GTX 460 originally after ditching (well relegating to another system really) an AMD card so I could avoid the early RAGE/Driver issues.

The game is locked to 60 cycles for display and internal timing (from what I remember) on Tech 4 and 5, so trying to sync it or not sync it to other refresh rates may be the issue. Even with GSync I would think,

Eh...no. I picked it up for like $5 on a sale, and started out fresh twice on it...never really got more than a few hours. Gunplay felt bad, storyline wasn't very compelling...overall a very forgettable title.

Hmmm... May just be a matter of differing tastes, but it seems to me that if you only played earlier parts of the game, you probably didn't experience more than a few of the early fetch type quests, and some of the easier shootout locations. Did you get to the burned out city areas, or make it to Subway town? Not that it's drastically different later in the game, but you do get more of a challenge, and things do pick up a bit with the missions. Not trying to change your mind, but my experience was quite a bit different. Then again, I'm a fan of pretty much every id game made, (I even like the Orcs and Elves game they did for the Gameboy Advance :D ) so there is a touch of bias I guess. (well, I wouldn't call it bias as much as I just really gel with the raw, polished, (if I can use those terms together :D ) simplicity of their games) Still though I thoroughly enjoy RAGE.

Guitar.jpg

Also, OP, I assume you've already played these, but in case you haven't: Just Cause 2, Borderlands 1/2/Pre, and Far Cry 3/4 are all great games that put Rage to shame in terms of fun game-play and scope of the game-world. Any of those would be great for scratching the Mad Max itch while you wait.

I have played just cause 2 and Far Cry 3. Haven't tried Far Cry 4 (not sure about that whole Himalayas thing) and the Borderlands series just didn't click with me.

I'm not into the Far Cry games, and haven't played the Just Cause games.

I will agree with you that the Borderlands series is excellent. I still play one and two frequently. I absolutely love them. However, they are completely different games than RAGE. The post-apocalyptic setting is the only thing they have in common really. I wouldn't really rate one much higher than the other, just different things. Shooters? Yes, but very different types.

Yeah, the graphics in no way "suck". There are some textures here and there, especially in some of the indoors locations that when you get close, you wonder what the hell the artists were thinking. I will grant that. However, most of the time, and in motion, they're still stunning to this day. Some of the meteorite rock formations in the later levels are just gorgeous to the point where I'll just stand or stop the car and stare at them. The driving is more than serviceable, and is actually quite fun, though not to any extremes most of the time. Actually let me rephrase that. The driving is a blast in the open areas between towns. You can just sandbox it up out there, do stunts, get in car fights, etc. The RACING, is what I think is just decent. It's fun, it adds to the game, but not HUGELY so.

The gunplay is amazingly fun, enemies actually try some sneaky things on occasion, approach you based on surrounding environment, weapon type, etc. (except the stupid mutants, who will understandably just charge right at you)

The environments are great, and the characters are cool and believable.

I recommend getting the larger of the two DLCs (unless maybe there's a bundle with both.) I think the smaller one is just extra sewer missions or some such, which are ok, but nothing special. The bigger DLC adds new characters, a new enemy faction, some pretty cool locations to explore, the new player-tag-along is a pretty decent character though not terribly deep. You get an extra weapon or two, etc. etc.

Anyway, yeah, get this game, and enjoy it. As mentioned above, SSD will be beneficial just due to the amount of texture data. (similar though smaller to the new Wolfenstein games in that regard) It's a good game, it's actually quite beautiful despite some sub-par texture work in places, and anyone that will allow themselves to stop hating it for a minute should really like it.

Oh yeah, and yes, as many will point out, the ending is abrupt, like they ran out of time and had to wrap it up. It works, but barely. There should have been a bit more to it. Still though it doesn't ruin the game.

This.

While texture resolution was questionable at best in places, the unique texturing really set this game apart. In other titles, you can see where textures are tiled, repeating ad nauseum. Not in RAGE. And as long as you had an nVIDIA card with updated drivers, it played fine even on an old Core 2 Quad Q9550 and GTX 560Ti with 4GB of RAM, SSD or no. I'll have to reload it on this system to see if there is a palpable difference with texture page-in times.

About the abrupt end, supposedly an entire area (or two?) got cut due how game licensing works on 360. Originally RAGE was going to need much more than the 3 DVDs it was released on, and Microsoft charges license fees on their platform per disc, not per game as Sony or Nintendo do. Zenimax balked at the notion, and demanded that id trimmed the game down to 3 discs to save on distribution and licensing costs. Obviously not an issue for PS3 or PC, but thank Microsoft's shitty licensing terms for that.

Last edited:
rage was ok but not great. gun play just felt off and not precise. it just was not a memorable game

I had tried it when it came out for like 10 mins; was unimpressed, but it wasn't a bad game.
Hoping to find something in there to calm my Mad Max urges (just saw the flick) until the actual game comes out...

I was very interested but finally it does not look as good as Batman for battle in the videos I've seen. Still the theme is interesting and I bet it will be good game so I look forward for it.

I enjoyed Rage overall.
The story was fun and intriguing but the game ended when it was really getting interesting. The build up aspects or "RPG" elements were mostly worthless. They gave the look of open world while keeping you on rails to the end.

The missions into the various factions were fun but other than textures not much differentiated them.
My largest complain was the driving, it had promise but it went back 10 years in time with auto triggered spawning enemies which were fun once, but annoying every time after as they always spawned at the same time, in the same spot and fought the same way.

The look was hit and miss, aspects looked amazing, while others (some of the city trash and grit) looked less then stellar.

I hope they continue the series, it showed promise just had a rocky start. I would love to see that world built up a bit more and explained.

I was very interested but finally it does not look as good as Batman for battle in the videos I've seen. Still the theme is interesting and I bet it will be good game so I look forward for it.

I think it is kinda like the opposite of Arkham Knight. It's more about the driving than the fighting (at least the driving here makes sense, is fun and isn't shoved down your throat).

Also, from what I have heard and seen so far, the fighting in Mad Max is gritty and raw, yet smooth and fluid. If it's anything like Shadows of Mordor (which took the Arkham fighting mechanic concept and refined it to its liking), then I'm in!

Plus, for me at least, as long as Max does his driving stunts, punches a few people here and there, and takes out his shotgun when the situation calls for it (ammo or not lol), I'm happy :)

I quite enjoyed rage. Though I didn't pick it up when new, I got it on sale for like $5-10 (can't remember, something dirt cheap). It is short, but it captured my attention enough to actually play it through, which most games these days fail to do.

It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's a fun little game and sometimes that's all you want.

On my older computer the graphics looked fine to me. It is a bit annoying the way textures popped in when you turned quickly, but that might be to do with my GPU not having a lot of memory.

I actually thought the driving in rage was quite fun, compared to borderlands where it just totally sucked.

I got like 3/4 way though lost my save found another save on the Internet used that one I never finished it I used a controller for the race matches and gameplay great looking game. Not sure if Steam Cloud saved my last save I suppose I should check. I used a Cheat happens code to Max out the AMO in the game was fun just to exploit the game with exploding shotgun shells ect... I really like the Remote Control level you control a RC car and blow up sections you can't reach requires just a little thinking. Boss battles are pretty epic =)

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 if anything.

If I can max out the ammo, i'd give it another shot too. Was it a trainer or something you used? Also, did you use it on the Steam version?

About the abrupt end, supposedly an entire area (or two?) got cut due how game licensing works on 360. Originally RAGE was going to need 3 DVDs, and Microsoft charges license fees on their platform per disc, not per game as Sony or Nintendo do. Zenimax balked at the notion, and demanded that id trimmed the game down to 2 discs. Obviously not an issue for PS3 or PC, but thank Microsoft's shitty licensing terms for that.

If true then that's the worst thing I've ever heard. One of the big issues with the game is the major lack of boss battles. Presumably there would've been a bigger ending boss battle if this is true. There is only one memorable boss battle. id could have easily added more and the game would've gone up a few notches. Having 4-5 in a game of this length wouldn't have gone amiss.

I think this game is fairly well put together for being a straight shooter (no RPG elements other than I suppose you being a PC). The big complaints (which I share mostly) is the fully linear gameplay, and the racing. Considering that this game gives you an open world and a vehicle to drive around in, you'd think that Rage would give more options for where you go and how you do things, but each area is basically a corridor (not even multiple routes). The areas are so linear that many of them do not allow reentry after completion (I know this because certain cards can only be gotten from specific areas, and if you missed them while doing those areas, the only way to get them is to start a new game). The racing felt tacked on and just felt like filler to stretch the game out. I can't honestly say I had fun in that portion of the game. Frankly it was frustrating.

Dealing with the dune buggy bandits was annoying as well, but they can be quickly dealt with once you find out that it's basically impossible to die unless you just sit there.

Story wise I disliked the lack of any strong characters. Most of the people the PC interacts with are used once or twice and then thrown away. The characters are interesting and unique, enough so that it would've been nice to find out more about them, but there is a surprising lack of depth. Because you never get to really know the characters, it's hard to really care about any of them. You go and do quests and save people because that's what the game is, not because of interest. So that said, they could've expanded how much there was to do in each quest hub, and just given each of the NPC's things to talk about.

Certain weapons are OP. Once you have a way to make pop rockets in the shotgun, and have enough money to buy things, the game gets really easy.

Other than that, I liked the lore. I thought the graphics were great (despite criticism from many). I liked the diversity of enemy types. The locations were mostly interesting and creepy (and diverse! Each area is unique, and some contain cool mechanics not found in other locations). The card game was a fun diversion. So while I don't think I'd add this to any game of the year nominations, it was a solid straight-forward shooter if lacking in a few areas.

Last edited:
If true then that's the worst thing I've ever heard. One of the big issues with the game is the major lack of boss battles. Presumably there would've been a bigger ending boss battle if this is true. There is only one memorable boss battle. id could have easily added more and the game would've gone up a few notches. Having 4-5 in a game of this length wouldn't have gone amiss.

I think this game is fairly well put together for being a straight shooter (no RPG elements other than I suppose you being a PC). The big complaints (which I share mostly) is the fully linear gameplay, and the racing. Considering that this game gives you an open world and a vehicle to drive around in, you'd think that Rage would give more options for where you go and how you do things, but each area is basically a corridor (not even multiple routes). The areas are so linear that many of them do not allow reentry after completion (I know this because certain cards can only be gotten from specific areas, and if you missed them while doing those areas, the only way to get them is to start a new game). The racing felt tacked on and just felt like filler to stretch the game out. I can't honestly say I had fun in that portion of the game. Frankly it was frustrating.

Dealing with the dune buggy bandits was annoying as well, but they can be quickly dealt with once you find out that it's basically impossible to die unless you just sit there.

Story wise I disliked the lack of any strong characters. Most of the people the PC interacts with are used once or twice and then thrown away. The characters are interesting and unique, enough so that it would've been nice to find out more about them, but there is a surprising lack of depth. Because you never get to really know the characters, it's hard to really care about any of them. You go and do quests and save people because that's what the game is, not because of interest. So that said, they could've expanded how much there was to do in each quest hub, and just given each of the NPC's things to talk about.

Certain weapons are OP. Once you have a way to make pop rockets in the shotgun, and have enough money to buy things, the game gets really easy.

Other than that, I liked the lore. I thought the graphics were great (despite criticism from many). I liked the diversity of enemy types. The locations were mostly interesting and creepy (and diverse! Each area is unique, and some contain cool mechanics not found in other locations). The card game was a fun diversion. So while I don't think I'd add this to any game of the year nominations, it was a solid straight-forward shooter if lacking in a few areas.

A balanced opinion of this game. Don't see that very often. :D I'd agree with most of it too. It would definitely be nice if you could revisit areas. Sometimes I just want to go back somewhere, and blast through it again because it was a fun area, and this is a pure action game. But as you said, you have to start a new game, then get back to that point. I also agree about the characters. I really like a lot of them, but yeah, then you just leave the area, and that's that. If would be cool to get more of a feel for them like you do with many of the NPCs in Borderlands. Scooter, Moxxi, Tannis, etc. all fun, very memorable characters. They could have gone just one step further in RAGE and had nearly the same impact with their characters. I'm sure if they had all the time they needed, didn't cut anything, they could have. Then again, id is known for their pure visceral action, and not the depth of their games. That said, they were definitely going the right direction, just didn't make it all the way.

It's still a very good game overall though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it about a year or so ago when I got a new card, and there was still texture popping from when I originally bought the game years ago, so it has been permanently buried in my queue of games I will eventually finish*. Did that get fixed? Sorry if this was mentioned already, skimmed the thread and didn't notice it.

*by eventually finish I mean never touch ever again.

I don't think the texture popping ever was or can even be fixed...it's a product of the megatexturing/ idTech 5 engine I believe. SSDs and whatnot can help alleviate it but turn around fast enough and you can still see it.

rage was ok but not great. gun play just felt off and not precise. it just was not a memorable game
I remember the gun play being very solid and satisfying. It's the one thing that id Software does best. But I agree that the game was forgettable. They probably should have put that time and money into making a new Quake game.

I don't think the texture popping ever was or can even be fixed...it's a product of the megatexturing/ idTech 5 engine I believe. SSDs and whatnot can help alleviate it but turn around fast enough and you can still see it.

It's negligible for me. I mean, sure, I can MAKE it happen by whipping the mouse 360 at a ridiculous rate. In reality though, I never see it because that's not what I'm doing. I'm playing the game. The new Wolfenstein games have twice the texture data as RAGE, and I think it's even less noticeable on those, so they must have done a bit of optimization there. I think I could still get it to happen, but I haven't once noticed it. (and I do pay attention just out of habit as an enthusiast) If it was truly invasive I'd be faulting it for sure, but it is SO insignificant at this point that it doesn't register. I use VSync, GPU Transcoding, use NV hardware, and have played all of the above on both SSDs and mechanical drives. Anyone worried about this should just relax, and play the game. It's a non-issue. I know it WAS a much bigger issue, and on specific hardware at one point, but it's not now. Honestly Unreal based games that cache their textures at the beginning of levels are more distracting to me, (even though it disappears completely after that.)

They probably should have put that time and money into making a new Quake game.

While I would hate for them not to have made RAGE, (as I really enjoy it,) I will agree with this statement. ANYTHING that nets a new Quake game is ok in my book. :D Perhaps ritual sacrifice of John Romero... :p

Back