Too [H]ot to touch! X-Fi XtremeMusic for $81.99 after $40 instant /w Free shipping!

I have a sound blaster live, is it worth it to upgrade? I got my sound blaster live for 15 dolars at staples like 3 years ago. Haha.

EDIT: Saw this in the reviews.

Other Thoughts: if you have a sb live or audigy card you shouldnt have to get this card as i didnt hear any difference.

I don't know about that. I can hear the difference between my current audigy 2zs and my old sb live, so given that this is one more generation along I'd say go for it. Probably not worth it coming from an audigy level card though, as I did hear terrible things about this card's crystalization features and the M-audio cards are quite good too for music listening

Man, if I didn't just buy a new monitor the other day, I'd be all over this. I told myself a while ago I'd buy an X-Fi if it went below $100...and here we are, right after I spent $350. Goddamnit!

Man... I'm really thinking I should finally get out of the stone age of onboard audio (especially since I use Sennheiser HD 485's!!!!), but I just dumped tons of money into switching to Conroe! Need... guidance... is the X-Fi REALLY all that and a bag of chips relatively to a non-audiophile who can tell the difference between cruddy and good at least?

Between onboard it's a no brainer. Stop letting those headphones go to waste! (HD 555s here)

GoldenTiger said:
Man... I'm really thinking I should finally get out of the stone age of onboard audio (especially since I use Sennheiser HD 485's!!!!), but I just dumped tons of money into switching to Conroe! Need... guidance... is the X-Fi REALLY all that and a bag of chips relatively to a non-audiophile who can tell the difference between cruddy and good at least?

At least get an Audigy 2 ZS, you can get a used one for like $35-45. Get off of onboard audio! :D

Yeah, I bought one as well. I had one a few months ago and sold it because I was retarded.. now I want one again! :)

texuspete00 said:
Shouldnt surf the web drunk. Well, I bit. Coming from an A2ZS. Sounds fun.

I have an Audigy 2ZS as well, please report the difference in sound. Even though this deal will probably be dead by then.

True.... so hopefully someone else can chime in while it is still going if possible. I figure I could always flip my A2ZS for like $35. My A2ZS is actually my least modern component. x1900 crossfire in a stacker 830 and so on. Figured I'd finish the deal. It's been tempting me to replace it. This is a nice price. From what I gather if you use headphones at all it's a must. I don't that often so that was my crutch to stick with it. Oops!

I've almost bought one of these about 5 times over the course of the last 3 months; this finally got me. Say goodbye to onboard sound.

Alright, you guys convinced me... one order for one X-Fi XtremeMusic placed! :D I think I'll enjoy it... I certainly use my headphones enough, time to stop crippling them with onboard sound!

Originally, I had an Audigy 2ZS and then upgraded to this card 6 months ago and I noticed a little bit of a difference, but not enough to justify the price.

Currently have an onboard sound card, I do play games but not much.. I listen to mp3s and watch a lot of movies using a head phone.. What do you guys think?

Well, a large part of why I ordered mine today is because A) I use headphones which people said are a HUGE boost with the X-Fi, B) MP3's supposedly benefit greatly from the X-Fi, and C) the sheer quality difference should be huge, both in CPU usage and in overall quality. I researched a bit since my other posts in this thread, after buying, and it looks like I made the right choice :).

stag3 said:
so u dont think it would be worth the 80 bucks upgradE?

IMO, no. Especially if you have an Audigy 2 Zs, as in your case.. a platinum. If you have anyting below a ZS, then definitely! You can't beat this price.

cool deal, i was kicking myself for missing out on the x-fi platinum for 130 shipped from amazon awhile back. but i couldn't really find any reviews that said it was worth the upgrade from an audigy2 back then either.

I just ordered. :D

I had to pay tax, though, so the total came up to $87.93. Still an excellent deal.

Still too expensive for me. :( Will have to stick to Realtek's audio for a while longer...

dont see how this is that hot of a deal, didnt compusa or best buy have these for aournd 70 last week?

garrettgjb said:
I have a sound blaster live, is it worth it to upgrade? I got my sound blaster live for 15 dolars at staples like 3 years ago. Haha.

EDIT: Saw this in the reviews.

Other Thoughts: if you have a sb live or audigy card you shouldnt have to get this card as i didnt hear any difference.
I upgraded from an old SB Live! 5.1 to an X-Fi platinum a couple months back, and it definitely was a HUGE upgrade. Gaming especially - the Live doesn't even come close.

Azkarr said:
Still too expensive for me. :( Will have to stick to Realtek's audio for a while longer...
Get off realtek dude. A sound card will give better performance + you won't ever want to go back to onboard after you try a card.

I think it's worth the extra money for a platinum version. Even if you don't use all the ports, the headphone jack is really convenient. It's pretty nifty having everything change to headphone mode and its sound quality is better than making your own front panel cable or using an audio splitter. At least in my opinion, it sounds a little better than directly plugging into your sound card. This could be due to the small amp in the headphone jack, however, I'm not sure if it is true.

lozaning said:
dont see how this is that hot of a deal, didnt compusa or best buy have these for aournd 70 last week?

Even if they did, it was likely after immensely large rebates that would never actually come back ;).

Monkey_feces said:
Get off realtek dude. A sound card will give better performance + you won't ever want to go back to onboard after you try a card.

I think it's worth the extra money for a platinum version. Even if you don't use all the ports, the headphone jack is really convenient. It's pretty nifty having everything change to headphone mode and its sound quality is better than making your own front panel cable or using an audio splitter. At least in my opinion, it sounds a little better than directly plugging into your sound card. This could be due to the small amp in the headphone jack, however, I'm not sure if it is true.

yea i'm still trying to find a good deal on the platinum version :(

Monkey_feces said:

Personally, I'm putting the money saved by buying the XtremeMusic instead of Platinum into a cheap headphone amp (PA2V2). I feel this is the better investment because I use headphones exclusively and don't have any speakers.

And also, the front panel jacks sounding better must be your imagination, since the op-amps in the front panel are a lower quality than the ones on the card... >_>

Backslash said:
Personally, I'm putting the money saved by buying the XtremeMusic instead of Platinum into a cheap headphone amp (PA2V2). I feel this is the better investment because I use headphones exclusively and don't have any speakers.

And also, the front panel jacks sounding better must be your imagination, since the op-amps in the front panel are a lower quality than the ones on the card... >_>
Can you tell me your source? I'm sure its not my imagination.

i sold mine for 85 shipped priority

no having to wait for a rebate :) but this is INSTANT!!! temptation? it's a no brainer ;)

Monkey_feces said:
Can you tell me your source? I'm sure its not my imagination.

I distinctly remember reading about it a while ago, but I can't find any source anymore. Now I'm pretty sure it's my imagination and not yours... Sorry...

Item List

SOUND CARD CREATIVE|X-FI XTREME RTL - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$81.99)
LOGITECH THX Z-5300e 5.1 SPEAKER - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$114.99)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0
Subtotal: $196.98
TAX: $0
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $35.66
Total: $232.64

Finally taking the leap and getting a decent sound setup for my pc, after playing with two speakers / headphones since I was 7.

Burned on the shipping :mad: :mad: :mad:
Apparently the subwoofer for that setup is a monster.

You guys think I could use my front panel form the ZS on this?

Back