Too good to be true?

It's basicly the Silverstone Strider Gold ST-1000G, Very good. It say's 1 year warranty, I believe it's actually 2. Still kind of brief, but nonetheless a pretty nice Enhance unit.

It was cheaper, I see the 10% off promo it has had for probably 6 of the last 8 weeks is gone. What are you powering? There are some really good deals out there on some high end 850w unit's too.

quad core 4ghz

getting another 560ti for sli

2 hdd's

dvd

after market sound card

4 case fans

im aware 1000w is alot but for that price you cant go wrong.

definitely alot of power, price is good, 2 year (at best) warranty is kind of small though compared to these high end PSU's (5 years), and the LEPA (3 years)

NZXT HALE90 850w for $138
NZXT HALE 90 750w for $130
FSP Aurum Pro 850w $156
Lepa G900 $130

They aren't fully modular but you are connecting a 24 pin & CPU 8 pin regardless :)

I actually chose the AU-1000PRO ($180) over the Stablepower Gold 1000w myself very recently.

For $155, you can get a Corsair 750W with a 7 year warranty. That will be also be more than enough for a 560Ti SLI setup.

"for that price you cant go wrong"

Cheap PSUs can go very, very wrong.

For $155, you can get a Corsair 750W with a 7 year warranty. That will be also be more than enough for a 560Ti SLI setup.

"for that price you cant go wrong"

Cheap PSUs can go very, very wrong.

Say if you were buying a Diablotek or Raidmax or TR2. But as stated, this is a pretty high quality unit.

As evilsofa and numerous hardware blogs point out, if you skimp on a PSU, you're gonna have a bad time. For my upcoming build, I'm using a Cougar GX1050, and it's the best value for a high wattage PSU out there. You save $70 off the MSRP and it has a fan with a Fluid Dynamic Bearing, which is much more quiet and reliable than ball bearings, which most PSU's use. It's also semi-modular, which is better, as the essential cables are neatly wrapped and long. Oh, and did I mention that Cougar is a German company?

With the Stablepower, you'd be taking a risk because there are no reviews, and it's got a short warranty. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I never buy a component without first checking customer reviews because that's how you can really asses its value.

For another $40, you'd get a 5 year warranty, German design, semi-modular cables, a vastly superior fan, and the peace of mind provided by its shining reviews.

As evilsofa and numerous hardware blogs point out, if you skimp on a PSU, you're gonna have a bad time. For my upcoming build, I'm using a Cougar GX1050, and it's the best value for a high wattage PSU out there. You save $70 off the MSRP and it has a fan with a Fluid Dynamic Bearing, which is much more quiet and reliable than ball bearings, which most PSU's use. It's also semi-modular, which is better, as the essential cables are neatly wrapped and long. Oh, and did I mention that Cougar is a German company?

With the Stablepower, you'd be taking a risk because there are no reviews, and it's got a short warranty. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I never buy a component without first checking customer reviews because that's how you can really asses its value.

For another $40, you'd get a 5 year warranty, German design, semi-modular cables, a vastly superior fan, and the peace of mind provided by its shining reviews.

i prefer fully modular PSU's with a single +12v rail.

The cougar line is built by HEC Compucase. Not exactly a high quality brand, and definitely not from Germany. They seem to get a solid pass in most of their reviews, but never is it much better then that. FDB Fans are just a fancy new name for a re-engineered sleeve bearing fan. It isn't any better then DBB fans in reliability. They start quieter the DBB fans, but as they age they get louder. DBB fans tend to hold onto their sound profile for a very long time.

So we have a choice between a re-branded known solid unit from enhance, or a New Brand with unknown reliability that's by HEC compucase, and arguably second rate PSU brand.

I'll take the Enhance unit plz.

FDB is a major improvement over sleeve bearings, and I think it's impossible to argue otherwise; just check the benchmarks.
Here's one
Here's another
And one more for good measure

Enhance and HEC/C are both relatively respected (taiwanese/chinese) manufacturers, and Cougar is german, it's just owned by HEC/C. You can't argue with reviews (of which the Stablepower has none, hmm...), or the 5 year warranty. (seriously, what does that say about a company when they give you a 1 year warranty for a product that is normally protected for 5 or more years?)

TroyX, I understand your favor towards modular PSU's, it's a matter of personal taste, and ours just vary a little bit, but the difference between modular and semi modular is not huge, and, overall, the Cougar is better IMO. Of course, the final decision, my friend, is yours.

Most PSUs use sleeve bearings.

Ball bearing fans are going to last a crazy long time. They will be slightly more noisy than sleeve or fluid dynamic (fancy sleeve type bearing), but unless some water gets in the sealed ball bearings, they will pretty much last forever.. especially for a power supply or case fan.

Have sealed ball bearing fans that use synthetic lubricant, and they are going to last even longer.

By the time sleeve, FDB, or ball bearings wear out, hell will have frozen over and you will have upgraded your entire system (unless you really don't have any money to spare), and there's no point in keeping an old PSU if you can replace it with a newer, quieter, more efficient one in a few years.

Say if you were buying a Diablotek or Raidmax or TR2. But as stated, this is a pretty high quality unit.

I had a [strike=]Splode[/s]Raidmax 850W that was actually a rebranded andyson. it ran at 700W load for 3 months continuously and is now with a friend. Still works fine. :D Just do research and even the shady brands can sometimes be fine.

Craig

The biggest thing I'm worried about is the one year warranty. Even though it might be manufactured by a quality company, there is always a chance that something could go wrong after a year of hiccup free operation.

Back