Tonrado Fan Noise Control

im apirate

Limp Gawd
The fan is just TOO loud, i cant hear my music unless they're full blast over this thing. Any way I need a way to lower without using a controller for now. I need like a download Mod.

theres some mods you can do without having to buy a fan controller...involves using the psus different rails to change the voltage going to your fan...i don't know exactly how it works though, never had a need for it...i'm sure someone who is more knowledgable than i will be along shortly :)

i guess if you knew enough about the fans power consumption, you could extend the positive line and add a pot that would either increase or decrease the voltage. could just use a multi-meter to find that out.

quakefiend420 said:
theres some mods you can do without having to buy a fan controller...involves using the psus different rails to change the voltage going to your fan...i don't know exactly how it works though, never had a need for it...i'm sure someone who is more knowledgable than i will be along shortly :)
he's already been given a link pointing you how to do a variable volt mod with plain old DPDT switches in another thread.

DFI Daishi said:
he's already been given a link pointing you how to do a variable volt mod with plain old DPDT switches in another thread.

BWAHAHAHA...lazy ass mofo :)

you're not gonna find any software to control that fan's speed...just do the volt mod, dude!

for out $30 and buy a vantec or sunbeam rheobus, can power 4 tornados nice and quietly then :)

FunkStar said:
for out $30 and buy a vantec or sunbeam rheobus, can power 4 tornados nice and quietly then :)

if you drop the rpms that much are they still going to move as much air as a fan that was designed to run at that lower rpm?

i would think the tornados are designed to move massive air at masive rpms...it would seem to me that if you drop the rpm that much it would reduce the effectiveness of the fan enough to negate the benefits of even having a tornado...but i could be wrong

i have this thing called a zepherus (i think thats how its spelled) but it can plug up like 5 3 pin fans (comes with like 2 or 3 3 to 4 pin converters) and has 3 temperature probes and it can either control the fans from temperature probes palced around your system and your cpu or you could set a limiter in the software so it runns at a constant rate you set it at

its really nice, i like it, ive done some really gheto mods to it tho, its supposed to fit in a pci slot but i took the pci thing off and covered the card with cardboard and mounted it to the drive rack on the back side so there is no jumble of wires showing and everything is hidden

the only thing is that the price is fairly big for a fan controller unless its droped from the time i bought one, with the price being at 50 + shipping

the problem with controllers like that is that they often cannot handle enough electrical load to run something as powerfull as a tornado.

quakefiend420 said:
if you drop the rpms that much are they still going to move as much air as a fan that was designed to run at that lower rpm?

i would think the tornados are designed to move massive air at masive rpms...it would seem to me that if you drop the rpm that much it would reduce the effectiveness of the fan enough to negate the benefits of even having a tornado...but i could be wrong

Theres no real curvature to the fans effectiveness, its actually quite linear. The Tornado's actual fan itself is the same size as a regular fan it just gets pushed through a curved fan grill which 'spins' the air(thats why they're thicker). Ive got a 92mm high speed panaflo aswell as my tornado and at low speeds the tornado is pretty much the same as the panaflo on high haha.

About the voltage thingy. Tornado work fine at lower voltages but theres a slight problem with them. They require a certain level of volts to get going but after that they can actually spin even slower to the point where they make pretty much no noise but still move a nice amount of air. With 7 - 12v fan controllers this isnt a problem, with the sunbeam one you just have to remember to turn the dial back before starting the computer again otherwise youll overheat cause the fan hasnt started.

Daishi is right with the controller and amount they can handle. At the moment, the only two fan controllers that i know of that can comfortably run a 92mm Tornado or 2 80mm tornados(on the same line) are the Vantec one which is a 5 or 7v to 12v one or the sunbeam with is 0 - 12v. The two controllers can handle around 18w a channel and a 92mm tornado pulls 13ish watts so thats 1 per channel with room for another smaller fan. 80mm Tornados are about 9 watts so you can barely fit two per channel and it certainly isnt recommended cause your controller would get really hot.

I think im just going to get a controller and use the tornado when doing serious gaming. My mom came in my room to kick me off the computer 3 times last night.

just get one that you are sure can handle the load.

when i said controllers "like that" i did not mean controllers in general, but rather any of the units that are temperature sensitive and programmable. i have neve seen a programmable unit that could handle more than 8 watts, and that is too little for the tornado.

the vantec nexus 201, 205, 301 and 305 all have enough output. as noted, so does the sunbeam rheobus.

a good canadian site for fans etc. http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/index.html

Are there any benefits on the 5.25" Nexus over the 3.5" nexus?

I just ordered an XP-90 and tornado. ...need some pottage. I have the Zalaman single jobby as a temp fix.

fore1337 said:
Are there any benefits on the 5.25" Nexus over the 3.5" nexus?

I just ordered an XP-90 and tornado. ...need some pottage. I have the Zalaman single jobby as a temp fix.
no important difference that i have noticed. the knobs on the 5.25" unit have a firmer, more satisfying feel to them, in my experience, but they both work equally well.

tornado = sunon = bah!

delta all the way! :)

fore1337 said:

You mean a fanmate? they're rated for 6w so a 11w tornado might blow it up :p. I ran my tornado off a fanmate for 1 minute and it got mega hot which was fun so i wired it to my rheobus.

heh heh
(Yupp Zalaman Fanmate is what I have)

Well maybe I'll just go straight into the PSU. ...see how long it takes to drive my GF insane.

;-D

okay daishi where is a good place to get deltas?

i was mainly just messing with you.

the tornado fans work pretty well.

i don't track american stores and american prices. i usually just link sidewinder because of their large selectino of panaflo and delta products, along with their listening room. i don't think that their prices are very good though.

the deltas have more powerfull motors, which means that blowing against a resistance (like a heatsink) doesn't degrade their performance as badly as the sunons. both move far more air than you should even need with that heatsink, and you're planning on dialing them down anyway, so just go for the the best price.

Jerunk said:
Oh, weird.
now, i could try to cover for that one in one of two possible ways. the disturbing way, and the really disturbing way. :p

on my 205 the knobs have some resistance to twisting. on the 201 that i tried, the knobs spun freely.

that was the non-disturbing, non-cover.

do you really want me to use the alternatives?

do what i did.

remove the positive line from the molex and swap it with the 5v line.
presto, you have a tornado at 5v. :D

i used a DPDT switch at one point to switch between 5v and 12v, but i never used 12v, so i was getting annoying to have in my case. haha

DFI Daishi said:
now, i could try to cover for that one in one of two possible ways. the disturbing way, and the really disturbing way. :p

on my 205 the knobs have some resistance to twisting. on the 201 that i tried, the knobs spun freely.

that was the non-disturbing, non-cover.

do you really want me to use the alternatives?

I thought it was funny. Hah.

Back