TomTom for Android: $23.99 with lifetime maps

Actually, beowulf is incorrect, as are you. Take any Android phone in the market today and load up a GPS utility of some sort, and have it show you real time satellite signal tracking, speed & acceleration, etc., all while having the cell & wifi radio off. It would work just the same using offline navigation software such as TomTom.
my iPad does all of this too but doesn't have a GPS receiver in it so if that's your evidence it's not enough

my iPad does all of this too but doesn't have a GPS receiver in it so if that's your evidence it's not enough

Depends on which iPad you have. I know many WiFi iPad models do not have GPS at all (A-GPS or otherwise). 3G and 4G iPads have A-GPS which does in fact work without a data connection.

I'm not sure if that's across the range, or what the newest models have. I believe that in general the GPS receiver is part of the 3G or 4G chipset, so WiFi-only iPads do not have GPS. There are some tablets, such as the Nexus 7, which are WiFi-only and still have GPS, though.

that's my point kumquat,

"a-GPS" (the term on the side of my wifi iPad's box) is a catch-all term that can range in meaning from, "has GPS and uses towers to lock faster, has no GPS but uses towers to lock, to has no GPS but uses wifi towers to lock" and possibly other ways of obtaining locational data.

I don't feel like picking nits in a deal thread, or anywhere for that matter, I was simply clarifying that he wasn't simply talking out his ass. between beowulf's questioning how some cell phones would be able to locate without cell service and Bone_Enterprise's response that phones don't use data services to locate, beowulf's position was the more accurate.

"a-GPS" (the term on the side of my wifi iPad's box) is a catch-all term that can range in meaning from, "has GPS and uses towers to lock faster, has no GPS but uses towers to lock, to has no GPS but uses wifi towers to lock" and possibly other ways of obtaining locational data.

This is false. Sorry. A-GPS uses GPS. If a device only uses cell towers, it is not using GPS (or A-GPS).

To my knowledge, no WiFi iPads have GPS or A-GPS.

This deal is dead.

I just wanted to point out that for your uses when Google maps doesn't do you have a variety of openstreetmap navigation software pieces on there. By far not as sophisticated but cheap (like $1 for US maps and cheap for world, all preloaded). You can keep it on your phone and when you drove out of cellphone coverage you use it to go back.

And indeed WiFi iPad boxes do not list "GPS" or "A-GPS." 3G and 4G iPad boxes do.

WiFi iPad boxes, which don't mention GPS:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7387248194_e9944c228b_h.jpg
http://ericsilva.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IPAD_04.jpg
http://technofyi.com/v0/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iPad-mini-box-specs-sticker.jpg

3G and 4G iPad boxes, which do mention GPS:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6988495037_542de81dd4_o.jpg

Official Apple iPad Air specs page, which lists "Assisted GPS" under the WiFi+cellular models, but does not mention GPS at all on the WiFi-only models:
http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/

Bottom line: WiFi-only iPads do not have any kind of GPS, and WiFi+cellular iPads have A-GPS which works in the absence of a data signal.

I appreciate the discussion my apparent confusion about GPS has generated.

In addition to disabling my data on my phone (SGS4) to see what it shows with GPS disabled, I'll also try my previous phone, a Droid 3, which has been deactivated in terms of data plan, but I still keep it on in airplane mode + WiFi so that I have a secondary smartphone at home. I've never enabled its GPS since I deactivated that phone, but will give it a shot and see what info. it can tell me with data and WiFi disabled and GPS enabled.

I appreciate the discussion my apparent confusion about GPS has generated.

In addition to disabling my data on my phone (SGS4) to see what it shows with GPS disabled, I'll also try my previous phone, a Droid 3, which has been deactivated in terms of data plan, but I still keep it on in airplane mode + WiFi so that I have a secondary smartphone at home. I've never enabled its GPS since I deactivated that phone, but will give it a shot and see what info. it can tell me with data and WiFi disabled and GPS enabled.

There are apps that can show you diagnostic information the gps sensor on the phone is reading. I think one is called (gps status).

On android I quite like GPS Essentials for its customizable dashboard. My Moto X and Nexus 7 have no problem getting coordinates in airplane mode. I have in fact used my phone on airplanes to see position and ground speed.

I have an old Android phone I would love to use as dedicated gps. Is there some software I can use to download the latest traffic/POI/maps data to the phone right before a trip, and then use it in offline mode? That way you'll never be using old data except for realtime traffic info on accidents.

Garmin and TomTom both have navigation apps that work offline.

Garmin is available for $1.95 for 24 hours, $7.95/month, or $70/year.
TomTom is available for $46.

Garmin and TomTom both have navigation apps that work offline.

Garmin is available for $1.95 for 24 hours, $7.95/month, or $70/year.
TomTom is available for $46.

There are more than two options.

Navigon is $25.95. I've used their standalone GPS's and they were ok, not sure if the Android app holds up.

Sygic is free to try, then maps are $40-$50 I think. I have Sygic and I really like it, except for one major issue. It's default road speeds are odd, cannot be adjusted, and don't seem to properly account for things like cities or intersections. The ETA is basically useless in Sygic. Supposedly they are working on a fix.

CoPilot I think is $10. It was when I bought it, but since I own it I can't actually see its price on Google Play. It's a bit more bare bones, but it works well and I believe it's maps take up the least amount of space. It is great for the price though (assuming it's still much cheaper than everyone else)

iGo is another, but I dunno cost. I don't see it on the app store. It came free with one of my devices. It's OK, but I liked Sygic and CoPilot better and using it meant keeping the preinstalled SD card (which was tiny), so I scrapped it.

Back