Tomorrow we leave the vault!

Bethesda definitely kicks ass at putting together a good package. The Making Of DVD was stereotypically short and boring, but it was a pretty nice package nonetheless. I'm tossing around the idea of getting the FO3 CE, but I'll probably just shoot for the regular package..

I don't expect much from Making Of... DVDs for games. The only one I've found that was well done was the one that came with The Witcher EE. Making Of... DVDs are generally fluff pieces. I'd like them to actually contain more about how a game was made and not focus on just interviewing the people behind the game.

Bought it tonight, been playing it for about two hours.

First thoughts: I'm really glad they kept the idea of VATS and action points; sure, you can attack everything in real time if you really want to, but it's much easier to tactically manage battles with VATS.

The scenery is beautiful, and really captures the spirit of the older games. I like the little touches, like the fact that you can't heal yourself for free by just using Doctor, or that you need weapons to repair weapons (spare parts). You used to just be able to work miracles in the older games, and that wasn't very realistic. Also, the quick-select is carried over from Oblivion, a welcome change over the dual-wield system of old (just press a number key in the pip boy item menu).

Only negative thus far: you cannot remap the pip boy *close* action, so even if you try to re-map the pip boy button, to close it you have to press TAB. Also, certain context menu buttons cannot be re-mapped, like A and E. Not a good thing if you use the arrow keys like I do.

Oh yeah, if you're wondering how to holster your gun, and can't find it in the manual (because it isn't there)...hold down the reload key.

In the theme of some of this thread, the desperation of fanboys loving FO2 and being worried about FO3...

Isn't it funny...what about any other form of entertainment? What happenen if someone bought the rights to football (soccer) or whatever your favourite sport is...then they decided to just start chaning shit about, switching things around and basically breaking it.

People would be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed off, and rightly so, we wouldn't question why people are pissed off, we'd just understand it.

Yet we have people defending when somoene buys out a game IP and takes it to bits and start changing stuff about, and then people are confused why some of us are at least slightly worried about FO3.

Some of us love the originals and want to see them re-made with some respect for the original IP, why is that such a big deal to some people?

A lot of us are prepared to judge games by their own merits but when we're talking about beloved IP's I think we're allowed to have concerns, and if you don't think so, just try applying it to something similar outside gaming and see if the same holds true.

Football, hockey, soccer, etc are sports that are still active. Your analogy doesn't work on a long-dead franchise. If football died for about a decade, and then it was brought back with a few controversial rule changes, some people would be happy to have any football at all.

Your analogy would work if Zombie Interplay had been developing an ultimate, true-ti-the-original Fallout 3 and was on track for a 2007 release, but Bethseda bought the rights out from under them and changed it into an Oblivion clone.

There wasn't going to be a Fallout 3. Fallout 3 didn't come into being by deleting your copies of Fallout and Fallout 2, nor did it cannibalize an existing Fallout project. Shouldn't you be happy you're getting Fallout anything? If it sucks, you can go back to playing Fallout 2 and Fallout. Call it FINO. I'm sure you can start an active forum where all people do is talk about how awesome Fallout 1 and 2 are, how much Fallout 3 sucks, and about mods and things for the original games.

Sure it may be debatably true to the franchise, but that doesn't mean it can't be a worthwhile game on its own merits.

Lets give things time to settle down, maybe a week or so. Maybe then we can determine if the FO2 to FO3 transition is as horrible as the Deus Ex 1 to Deus Ex: Invisible War transition.

For those who actually liked DE:IW compared to the original, excuse my bashing.

Lets give things time to settle down, maybe a week or so. Maybe then we can determine if the FO2 to FO3 transition is as horrible as the Deus Ex 1 to Deus Ex: Invisible War transition.

For those who actually liked DE:IW compared to the original, excuse my bashing.

I can already tell that this game is way more fallout and oblivion. I am already suffering from too many decisions and permanent choices that need to be made. I am a horribly indecisive person and the conversation branches and everything are killing me like it did in the old days of fallout.

Hell, it took me 5 hours to get out of the damn vault because i couldn't decide on my stats or how to even go about escaping. Now I get into the first city and I can't decide what to do, to persuade or intimidate, be good karma or bad karma, or just blow the whole place up!

Also add in the fact that the barter system doens't let me just sell tons of crap I gather from the world to one person beacuse they haev limited money just like the old fall out so I am loading up on stimpacks as they have zero weight like the old fall out.

Basically, this is fall out and I am uninstalling oblivion because with both of them on my harddrive, it will be 15 years before I pass either of them.

I can already tell that this game is way more fallout and oblivion. I am already suffering from too many decisions and permanent choices that need to be made. I am a horribly indecisive person and the conversation branches and everything are killing me like it did in the old days of fallout.

Hell, it took me 5 hours to get out of the damn vault because i couldn't decide on my stats or how to even go about escaping. Now I get into the first city and I can't decide what to do, to persuade or intimidate, be good karma or bad karma, or just blow the whole place up!

Also add in the fact that the barter system doens't let me just sell tons of crap I gather from the world to one person beacuse they haev limited money just like the old fall out so I am loading up on stimpacks as they have zero weight like the old fall out.

Basically, this is fall out and I am uninstalling oblivion because with both of them on my harddrive, it will be 15 years before I pass either of them.

Thanks for the info. I'm horribly indecisive too, always second guessing myself. I'm going to be in trouble with this game.

How is your 8800GT performing with this game?

Football, hockey, soccer, etc are sports that are still active. Your analogy doesn't work on a long-dead franchise. If football died for about a decade, and then it was brought back with a few controversial rule changes, some people would be happy to have any football at all.

Your analogy would work if Zombie Interplay had been developing an ultimate, true-ti-the-original Fallout 3 and was on track for a 2007 release, but Bethseda bought the rights out from under them and changed it into an Oblivion clone.

There wasn't going to be a Fallout 3. Fallout 3 didn't come into being by deleting your copies of Fallout and Fallout 2, nor did it cannibalize an existing Fallout project. Shouldn't you be happy you're getting Fallout anything? If it sucks, you can go back to playing Fallout 2 and Fallout. Call it FINO. I'm sure you can start an active forum where all people do is talk about how awesome Fallout 1 and 2 are, how much Fallout 3 sucks, and about mods and things for the original games.

Sure it may be debatably true to the franchise, but that doesn't mean it can't be a worthwhile game on its own merits.

Totally obnoxious response to a valid, well reasoned point. No he doesn't have to be happy for just any Fallout. I can't imagine how depressed I would have been of Ocarina of Time or Metroid Prime turned out to suck. When old school games are reinvented and they pull it off for the fanbase, there is nothing better. When they dumb it down or gut it, there is nothing worse.

A lot of us are prepared to judge games by their own merits but when we're talking about beloved IP's I think we're allowed to have concerns, and if you don't think so, just try applying it to something similar outside gaming and see if the same holds true.

Sure, you're allowed to have and voice your concerns. But others are also allowed to have differing opinions and express them as well.

Basically, I feel as though if it were not for Bethesda buying the Fallout IP from Interplay before they completely vanished, there would never have been another Fallout. Perhaps that would be just fine with the FO/FO2 fanboys, but fanboys are not known for their sensible nature. I'm glad Bethesda bought it, and I like Fallout 3. I think they did a fine job. Is it Fallout or Fallout 2? No it is not. But if it was, they would not have needed to make it.

Sure, it's fair to say that Fallout 3 is unlike its predecessors. You would be right. It is not a hex-based pure RPG. But it is also fair to say that it is a good game in its own right. Further, it is fair, in my opinion, to say that Fallout 3 is faithful to the spirit, if not the the "letter", of the Fallout franchise.

(It's also fair to say, in my experience so far, that it is a buggy motherfucker and crashes all the damned time.)

Sure, you're allowed to have and voice your concerns. But others are also allowed to have differing opinions and express them as well.

Basically, I feel as though if it were not for Bethesda buying the Fallout IP from Interplay before they completely vanished, there would never have been another Fallout. Perhaps that would be just fine with the FO/FO2 fanboys, but fanboys are not known for their sensible nature. I'm glad Bethesda bought it, and I like Fallout 3. I think they did a fine job. Is it Fallout or Fallout 2? No it is not. But if it was, they would not have needed to make it.

Sure, it's fair to say that Fallout 3 is unlike its predecessors. You would be right. It is not a hex-based pure RPG. But it is also fair to say that it is a good game in its own right. Further, it is fair, in my opinion, to say that Fallout 3 is faithful to the spirit, if not the the "letter", of the Fallout franchise.

(It's also fair to say, in my experience so far, that it is a buggy motherfucker and crashes all the damned time.)

If it wasn't buggy I'd be surprised. Bethesda is like Black Isle in that regards. All of their games launch with massive bugs.

Do you even know Fallout history at all? Black Isle _was_ working on Fallout 3, under the name Van Buren: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_(Fallout_3)

And, yes, it was going to have the same "old" 3D Isometric view updated to a modern 3D engine.

Anyone know what the best nVidia drivers are to use with Fallout 3?

178.24 official WHQL or the 180.43 beta?

i got some power armor very early in the game. but i cannot wear it. how do I wear it?

is there a way to run faster?

I am trying to get the 2nd doll. Strength from megaton. I read where it is suppose to be, but it is not there. it says it should be in Lucas Simms' House on his desk. I looked there. No doll. My pipboy says I did not get the Strength bobblehead.

doll.jpg

i got some power armor very early in the game. but i cannot wear it. how do I wear it?

is there a way to run faster?

I am trying to get the 2nd doll. Strength from megaton. I read where it is suppose to be, but it is not there. it says it should be in Lucas Simms' House on his desk. I looked there. No doll. My pipboy says I did not get the Strength bobblehead.

doll.jpg

Wow. Talk about not playing the game with cheats/walkthroughs on the first run and on its release week...

^yeah. I went back to megaton to look for that bobble head. maybe that's why it's gone

Cept for the little hitch of them going bankrupt and all...

Black Isle didn't go bankrupt. They were closed and the employees were released. They were an internal development studio for Interplay. Interplay was nearly broke, but they didn't hit their current state for a few years later, maybe less than that.

Back