Tomorrow we leave the vault!

Never played the orginals, and I'll probably buy after I finish Warhead and Far Cry 2

No DRM count me in. So what is the difference between the Steam version and the retail copy?

Resell value and price.

I'm considering this purely b/c of the dev team coming out to my local BB in Rockville MD (yeah, just a few miles from Bethesda itself).

So far have no interest in this game, but no harm in checking it out if they're willing to do a event for the home-crowd :D

I was waiting for both FarCry2 and Fallout 3. FarCry2 is a no go for me as I have said before in other threads.

But Fallout 3 CE is preordered and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Just finished up running through the whole fallout collection once again this past week in anticipation of this game.

That said I do have some concerns about the game play and I really hope they got it right. If this game comes to me as a crappy console port like Bioshock then I think I will be done playing computer games out side EVE Online. I will just stick to casual gaming from my Nintendo consoles. Computer gaming to me seems to be moving in a direction I do not like and I can't stand playing games like this with a game pad. Not to mention I wouldn't switch platforms just so I can continue giving money to the developers I feel are spitting in the face of PC gamers.

I am a huge Fallout fan and with the month I have been having I just can't take being let down on this one. I really hope it's good but I am not holding my breath. Either way you guys will be rid of me for at least a week if the game is good and if it's bad well I wont be returning to the [H] gaming forum. I have other hobbies and current games aren't doing a very good job competing with them.

Its supposed to be based off the same engine as Oblivion, if its anything like oblivion it will be a great game. If its like oblivion buy takes place in a futuristic fallout enviornment that will be great, you can't go wrong.
I can't see them screwing it up, but who knows.

My one fear is that they'll share resources with Oblivion; models, textures, sounds, things like that (something VALVe has a tendency to do with Source based games).

Hearing the Oblivion "page turn" sound would pull me right out of the action...don't know about anybody else.

Reality is quite disparate from a person's chokingly nostalgic and unrealistic view of something they "loved" as much as "true" fans love Fallout.
To defend myself here, I still play the first two games, so I very much live in a current state of reality. While they've lost some of their allure due to the fact that I've played them ad nauseum, and that they're no longer "new and shiny", I still have a great time playing them. There's a nostalgia factor there, definitely, but it's not the singular factor, and it's not something a new Fallout game can't necessarily recapture. And, you know what's funny? I think Bethesda has the potential to pull off such a feat, were it not for the overwhelming Console/Consolitis/Todd Howard Factor.

...the constant cynicism about Fallout 3 is beginning to seriously wear on me.
I think a pretty high degree of cynicism is something to be expected. I mean, Bethesda did develop Oblivion, and most of us played that game (or at least tried to). So...well, you get the idea.

So, hell, I'm leery. You can't blame me for that Mark! :)

I think a pretty high degree of cynicism is something to be expected. I mean, Bethesda did develop Oblivion, and most of us played that game (or at least tried to). So...well, you get the idea.

So, hell, I'm leery. You can't blame me for that Mark! :)

Yeah, cuz Oblivion was such a terrible game. God, Beth doesn't know what their doing...

Fact is, most people who played Oblivion enjoyed it. If your head wasn't too far up your ass after Morrowind, you would enjoy Oblivion.

I've been playing the original Fallout for the first time via GOG (couldn't get my $3 bargain bin disc to run for very long w/o a crash) and am loving it. Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead are the only games I have been looking forward to for some time.

In a word...Giddy. I can't wait to mess with a few different builds. I'm leaning towards a slick, lil, hyper chick...maybe 4844884 Small/sneak/lockpick.

Fact is, most people who played Oblivion enjoyed it. If your head wasn't too far up your ass after Morrowind, you would enjoy Oblivion.
I've been over this before, but, yeah, I thought I would. I even bought two copies (you remember that). I was pretty psyched, and I came out disappointed.

I think I judged Oblivion pretty fairly. I compared it to the experience I had with Morrowind, which seemed reasonable to me, and it was a pretty sour experience. I'm not going to judge Fallout 3 fairly, no, but I'm willing to at least give it a shot (something I wouldn't have done a month ago, so the FO3 propagandizing seems to have been effective).

Granted, maybe if I had never played an RPG before I played Oblivion, I might have liked it, because I wouldn't have understood some of the fundamentals that go into making an RPG an RPG, and I would've mistaken Oblivion's false depth for actual depth. I'll give you that.

And, really, don't throw Metacritic scores around as if they're some sort of metric for game quality. They're a metric for a game's critical reception and overall popularity. One could make the argument that Oblivion was designed to be critically well-received.

I've been over this before, but, yeah, I thought I would. I even bought two copies (you remember that). I was pretty psyched, and I came out disappointed.

I think I judged Oblivion pretty fairly. I compared it to the experience I had with Morrowind, which seemed reasonable to me, and it was a pretty sour experience. I'm not going to judge Fallout 3 fairly, no, but I'm willing to at least give it a shot (something I wouldn't have done a month ago, so the FO3 propagandizing seems to have been effective).

Granted, maybe if I had never played an RPG before I played Oblivion, I might have liked it, because I wouldn't have understood some of the fundamentals that go into making an RPG an RPG, and I would've mistaken Oblivion's false depth for actual depth. I'll give you that.

And, really, don't throw Metacritic scores around as if they're some sort of metric for game quality. They're a metric for a game's critical reception and overall popularity. One could make the argument that Oblivion was designed to be critically well-received.

This man speaks the truth.

QFT, even down to buying two copies. I still have an unopened CE box @ home :D I'll probably get FO3 regardless but I do have some trepidation.

At the same time this is the Fallout series so I'll treat some of the user complaints the same way I would a new Dungeons & Dragon ruleset. :p (I just hope most are positive!)

I threw out the Metacritic link, not just for the major reviews, but also the user reviews. Which yea, the User reviews are considerably lower than the critic reviews, but are still majorly positive.

And I agree, Obliv was far from a perfect game, doesn't deserve as high reviews as it got. But I think it continued to develop Bethesda's pedigree of open-world, do-whatever-you-want gameplay that I see as essential to Fallout.

I'm a Fallout fan, but unfortunately have very low expectations for this game after the terrible so called RPG Oblivion. We'll see how it is but I'm not expecting much at all.

Oblivion had fundamental flaws in basic RPG game play mechanics. The hand holding monster/loot scaling was ridiculous and ruined any sense of exploration or danger. Most old time PC RPG gamers are disgusted by the dumbing down of each successive Bethesda game. FO3 looks like Oblivion with guns to me. It will be good out of the box, but I'm not convinced it won't need heavy modding to be a complete fully realized Fallout game.

Mainly I'm worried if they can write the creative quest solutions and role playing opportunities typical of the first games.

I still have an unopened CE box @ home :D
Bethesda definitely kicks ass at putting together a good package. The Making Of DVD was stereotypically short and boring, but it was a pretty nice package nonetheless. I'm tossing around the idea of getting the FO3 CE, but I'll probably just shoot for the regular package.

A game that's made to be reviewed (but not played) - is that what you're saying?
Sort of, yeah. The game starts out on a pretty big bang, and the production quality is great, but it eventually turns into something pretty hum-drum as far as open-ended RPGs go once you start putting in the hours. So, the initial out-of-the-box impression is excellent, but the thrill gets knocked out once you start seeing every bandit in glass armor and every marauder outfitted in ebony. Then, you have this "holy shit, this is broken" realization after a length of time, and then all the other issues you can nitpick to death get factored into that. For me, it went "hey, this is pretty good" to "hey, what the fuck is this?" :)

So, Oblivion's core flaws aren't really fully exposed until you rack up the hours. For an open-ended game like Oblivion, most reviewers, especially those published pre-release, aren't going to pump in the hours exploring the nooks and crannies, and they may end up judging (and rating) the game at a sort-of-misleading face value. So, the flaws don't necessarily present themselves depending on how you play or how much time you invest in it. Those who have invested the time are usually the ones with all sorts of overhaul mods, where the broken things are effectively thrown out and replaced with something else, so they're aware of what those flaws are and what mods they need to find to fix those.

I mean, people aren't crazy about OOO because it adds rainbow-colored fish.

I have it on pre-order for the vanilla PC version. I plan on picking it up on my to work tomorrow.

I'm a long time fan of Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics. I still own the ORIGINAL cds.

At first I was mortified that it was an FPS, then even more terrified that it's from Bethseda (I played Oblivion to the end and wasn't impressed). I just hope they work out some fo the RPG aspects, and hold true to the original feel of the Fallout series.

I reserved my copy, Fri at GameStop. I was going to take tomorrow off, but i only have 3 days of vacation left. I have to save some for the holidays. I am super excited though, but I will stop on my way home from work and pick it up. Also you only get the 30% off traded in games, if they are newly released games, they have a list of the eligible games. I am trading in Mercenaries 2 and GTA4, plus with my 5 bucks down, this game will only cost me $9.99:)

I am totally psyched! I have the CE on pre-order and Gamestop down the street from me is having a 12:01 AM launch party! wahoooo, I've been waiting ten years for F3;) , tis a good day!:D

I just called Best Buy and they confirmed that the game will be on the shelves tomorrow.

pete.jpg

Did anyone else read the manual and get a warm fuzzy feeling when they saw this on page 4?

Downloads
View any Downloadable Content you have obtained for Fallout 3.

I am psyched for this game!

Cheers!,
Xerack

Going to be a busy day tomorrow.

Party at midnight I say. Got cans of Barqs and popcorn tonight ready for the next day. :cool:

Looking forward to the CE, and checking out the lunchbox. Heading to the mall tomorrow night or the following day to pick it up. A PC game and food from the food court, what a good day. :p

I played Fallout: Tactics back in the day, and wanted to relive that game. I accidently ordered Fallout 2 on Amazon and was disapointed. I didn't want the full RPG experience, just the turn based combat. I never left the first town in Fallout 2.

Have it preordered and am picking it up tonight at Gamestops Midnight release. Also have tomorrow off, woot!

Did anyone else read the manual and get a warm fuzzy feeling when they saw this on page 4?

Downloads
View any Downloadable Content you have obtained for Fallout 3.

What's so special about that? DLC was in Oblivion so it was likely to be in Fallout 3. DLC doesn't mean user made mods, either.

Can't say I'm excited. I really want to play this game, but I don't know if it'll be worth $50. Oblivion was an ok game, I got real bored after 20 hours into it. Maybe this will be better since it has a sci-fi theme to it.

I'm not that excited even though I am a big Fallout fan. Kinda unsure about which version to get and I'm not really in the mood for an RPG at the moment I guess.

I really want this game, but I think I'm going to wait to get it until after this semester is over. I would like to be able to pass my classes, and I don't know how much I'd be able to get myself away from the game in order to study.

I played Fallout: Tactics back in the day, and wanted to relive that game. I accidently ordered Fallout 2 on Amazon and was disapointed. I didn't want the full RPG experience, just the turn based combat. I never left the first town in Fallout 2.

There's a big difference between any RPG and its "Tactics" sibling. Just like FF 7 and FF Tactics, Fallout RPG games and Fallout Tactics are quite different.

What's so special about that? DLC was in Oblivion so it was likely to be in Fallout 3. DLC doesn't mean user made mods, either.
Well Oblivion did get at least 2 content updates, so I guess I'm excited by the notion they could add to the game...and maybe allow you to drag your character along to explore higher level area's or what not ; )

not a fallout fan, didnt even know it existed until 3 was announced.. it does look pretty cool and ill probably pick it up eventually.. i would feel rather guilty buying it though since i payed 60 bux for oblivion and i've barely played it :(

man I am mad. I just drove thirty minutes to get fallout 2 and all they had was the xbox 360 and PS3 versions. I called every Wal-Mart, hastings and best-buy in a 45 mile radius and all of them said they didn't have it in!

man I am mad. I just drove thirty minutes to get fallout 2 and all they had was the xbox 360 and PS3 versions. I called every Wal-Mart, hastings and best-buy in a 45 mile radius and all of them said they didn't have it in!

Steam has it if you want it that bad...

Back