Tomb Raider reboot will make PC gamers "very, very happy"

Having a good time with this one, also picked it up during the sale. My only real complaint with it so far is if I have to "Press E to not die" one more time... There's not even a point to it because they put checkpoints 5 seconds before every QTE.

Graphics and atmosphere are nice!

Just finished this game and I was taken back by how much I enjoyed it. Sure the puzzles could have been a bit more complex and it was a bit heavy on the QTEs but I could not stop playing. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original Tomb Raider games so I think the fact that it had more of a Uncharted (yes I know people consider Uncharted a watered down Tomb Raider) feel to it is why I enjoyed it so much. Also this game looked phenomenal with all the settings cranked. Impressed my 670 handled it so nicely.

Picked this up on the steam sale for 12.50, amazing game at that price. Works perfectly with triple monitor, and I can get some good eye candy with an OCed 7970.

Im not too far in, but so far I like the mix of stealth and combat, and the mix of high action moments and more laid back puzzle elements

Ya, but this one plays more like the Uncharted games than the traditional TR game.

^ Exactly.

Uncharted with boobs nails it.Not quite as linear as Uncharted though. Has a little more freedom and I liked the upgrade/skill tree.

(*snip*)Some rather sexist joke on my part(*snip*)

I freely admit this is a bad joke and apologize to any female readers.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this game...put in about 28 hours and worth every cent of the USD 10 I paid for it. The graphics are very nice and the story is quite nice as well. I have still to finish picking up all the stuf and one tomb left as well.

Just finished this last night, I'm disappointed because it's over. This truly was a great experience, and I never was a big fan of the third person perspective. Now I feel more open to trying other third person shooter games, any suggestions?

I feel the same as everybody that liked it.

I didn't want it to end. My GOTY for sure.
I will buy the sequel immediately.
I don't remember the last game I played that I liked as much.
I keep going back, fast traveling just for the heck of it.

People who are saying the game is loaded with QTEs... o_O Are we playing the same game? The QTEs pretty much become non-existent after the intro of the game. They're so few and far in between that I forget that they're even there.

Beat the game earlier this week and I have to say it blew my expectations away. This was a blast to play and, as others mentioned, I was sad to see it end. Last time I felt that was with the original Mass Effect. Best game I've played all year, probably could throw in last year too.

I only wish the tombs were more significant - like Assasins Creed size/detail/scope etc. That was about one of my only gripes......

it was fun and pretty easy... just good entertainment with minimal frustration.

looking forward to the sequel.

People who are saying the game is loaded with QTEs... o_O Are we playing the same game? The QTEs pretty much become non-existent after the intro of the game. They're so few and far in between that I forget that they're even there.

there are a lot of QTE's but the game is so enjoyable that you don't notice after awhile

Just finished this last night, I'm disappointed because it's over. This truly was a great experience, and I never was a big fan of the third person perspective. Now I feel more open to trying other third person shooter games, any suggestions?

Though not a shooter, but the arkham batman series are a no brainer great pick. Mass Effect series at least starts great.

Countering is QTE. So if you do that, there's LOTS of QTEs.

Despite the QTEs I did find the game very enjoyable. But after playing it a while, it gives me a headache... The camera moving up and down... and the fact that you can't turn the camera away from the character's facing direction really annoyed me.

Countering is QTE. So if you do that, there's LOTS of QTEs.

Despite the QTEs I did find the game very enjoyable. But after playing it a while, it gives me a headache... The camera moving up and down... and the fact that you can't turn the camera away from the character's facing direction really annoyed me.

What? I can pan the camera around Lara a full 360 degrees...

As long as you aren't aiming you should be able to.

I have never liked 3rd person either, but this game is actually fun......I'm on my second play through.

I would recommend Max Payne3, it is quite similar in that it is 3rd person and the QTEs fill in the necessary blanks nicely.

Are you saying you never played any 3rd person shooter? Or tried one or two and didn't like them?

Gears of War on PC is a fave of mine. The first game in the series is the only one on PC.
Max Payne games are not bad.
Mafia either 1 or 2 are pretty good.
Hitman might be good, Just from hearsay, I haven't played them.
Warhammer 40k Space Marine is well done.

But Tomb Raider is going to be tough to top, with her bow, the fantastic action sequences, puzzles and all.

Are you saying you never played any 3rd person shooter? Or tried one or two and didn't like them?

Gears of War on PC is a fave of mine. The first game in the series is the only one on PC.
Max Payne games are not bad.
Mafia either 1 or 2 are pretty good.
Hitman might be good, Just from hearsay, I haven't played them.
Warhammer 40k Space Marine is well done.

But Tomb Raider is going to be tough to top, with her bow, the fantastic action sequences, puzzles and all.

I've tried third person shooters in the past, but never cared for them. I found it difficult to get used to the shooting mechanics. Max Payne seems interesting, I might have to try that next.

Last edited:
I just finished the game and found it really entertaining. I do agree that the button mashing scenes were annoying but thankfully there were not too many of them.

I found the story to be enjoyable and the way you could find more details and hints to what was happening along the way a nice addition to the core story telling mode. It flowed along really well IMO.

The combat was repetitious but as you learned new skills, gained weapons and confidence it was fun to see how the combat could be changed up on the fly in various situations and in parts of the map.

I was pleased by how much game play there was. I was expecting it to be a lot shorter than it was, not amazingly long but for me it was very fun. I am sorry it is over, I wouldn't mind finding out more about what happened with the other island inhabitants and such.

I skipped most of the tombs. They were mostly distractions from the fun aspects of this game. I'm not sorry I skipped them but I may go back and finish them... eventually.

Ya i really enjoyed playing through the game. i just wish it was a little less of a 8-16 hour long catastrophe fest, and a little more of a use your mind to solve this puzzle. kinda game.

Ya i really enjoyed playing through the game. i just wish it was a little less of a 8-16 hour long catastrophe fest, and a little more of a use your mind to solve this puzzle. kinda game.

Kids don't have minds anymore, so this would never work.

I think that was why I skipped all but two or three of the tombs. Too simple and boring with no real reward so I just focused on the story.

Not too many of them? I just finished the game, and the QTEs were relentless right up to the very end of the game where you kill the main antagonist in, you guessed it, a bloody QTE.

I'm really disappointed in this game. It had the potential to be something very impressive. The engine appears sound, and the graphics are spectacular. But they took one of the most linear gaming franchises and made it even more linear. I don't want to 'play' one big semi-interactive cutscene. I don't want to share controls with the PC - you can't even control Lara's speed or stance for Christ's sake.

I can see where you are coming from, I would like to see the QTEs culled out in the sequel. But this was the first game I have played with QTEs since God of War 1 so it didn't bother me too much for the first play through. Much of the game did seem like a semi interactive cut scene, or scripted, but I still had fun with it. That said I don't want the next offering to be the same. Once is enough, two games like this will be overkill. The single player campaign needs to be more dynamic with less predetermined gameplay or else they will take all the momentum out of this reboot.

I think that was why I skipped all but two or three of the tombs. Too simple and boring with no real reward so I just focused on the story.

You sure? The tombs I have entered have had the most challenging puzzles in the game so far. If you're looking for more puzzle solving game play you may want to go back and enter the tombs

You sure? The tombs I have entered have had the most challenging puzzles in the game so far. If you're looking for more puzzle solving game play you may want to go back and enter the tombs

yea that's not saying much, if those were the most challenging puzzles... light this torch here, throw those cans there, time your jump to get across. the most enjoyable one was the hall of ascension imo, with the wind physics and shutter/jump timing. the best part of that to me was the eye candy, and they blew their load right near the beginning. so again, where's the incentive?

a dead simple improvement they could have done imo was to stash major scrap there, to make it a real part of the game. instead of relegating them to treasure maps for more trinkets that only completionists would care about, this to me says they couldn't give a single fuck about the roots of this game. what happened to the glyph puzzles, scaling epic rube goldberg contraptions, physics that involved more than a bunch of tin cans. they did give you a taste of it here and there, but where's the beef?

don't get me wrong, they did have a real strong finish with the shrine/ziggurat levels at the end to pretty much absolve them of any sins here. though you really got to wonder, that was great but what the hell did I just play.

They were about as challenging as HL2 puzzles. so not very...

yea that's not saying much, if those were the most challenging puzzles... light this torch here, throw those cans there, time your jump to get across. the most enjoyable one was the hall of ascension imo, with the wind physics and shutter/jump timing. the best part of that to me was the eye candy, and they blew their load right near the beginning. so again, where's the incentive?

a dead simple improvement they could have done imo was to stash major scrap there, to make it a real part of the game. instead of relegating them to treasure maps for more trinkets that only completionists would care about, this to me says they couldn't give a single fuck about the roots of this game. what happened to the glyph puzzles, scaling epic rube goldberg contraptions, physics that involved more than a bunch of tin cans. they did give you a taste of it here and there, but where's the beef?

don't get me wrong, they did have a real strong finish with the shrine/ziggurat levels at the end to pretty much absolve them of any sins here. though you really got to wonder, that was great but what the hell did I just play.

True, they aren't very challenging compared to a dedicated puzzle or adventure game, but this is an action adventure game so their audience (like me) wouldn't want to play with puzzles that are too challenging.

I just thought it was funny you mentioned that you played through the campaign but were disappointed due to the lack of puzzles so you skipped the tombs, which are where most of the puzzles are.

Last edited:
do people have a reason for hating on QTE's ? I dont mind them at all. they are cool in moderation. I felt like TR had a good amount but not too many either

do people have a reason for hating on QTE's ? I dont mind them at all. they are cool in moderation. I felt like TR had a good amount but not too many either

I think they are the thing in these 3rd person games, now more often than not.....

I don't choose to play 3rd person much because I don't care for them......Max Payne 3 and this game are the only two on a PC Ive played, both chocked full of QTE.....but I got this game foe 12 bucks on the Steam summer sale....so it was a great game for the price.

The games seem more like long cut scenes with some shooting to break them up.

I did like the game, though. The puzzles were very HL2 which was good......the thing that just made me crazy though was having to hit the button combinations "just right" or Lora would fall to her death or some such disaster.....I got really tired of the "hurry up the bridge is on fire, exploding or collapsing......" give me puzzles and shooting and I'm happy.

I also agree....make the tomb worth it.....more XP, more credits, way cooler guns or something that makes me WANT to explore them.

Back