Tomb Raider reboot will make PC gamers "very, very happy"

EVGA GTX670 4GB, 1920 x 1080, everything to Ultra, TressFX on, FXAA and V-Sync off.

Min: 2
Max: 50
Avg: 32

Dropped DOF to Normal

Min: 10
Max: 75
Avg: 50

EDIT: I like how even with the TressFX hair only her pony tail seems responds to gravity (at least with the opening scene)... /nitpicking

I'm probably going to play with everything maxed other than DOF which "might" get Normal, I hate the effect usually so we will see. I mean what difference could their really be, is it just a ton more blur?

I didn't notice any difference between DOF on Ultra or Normal on the benchmark but I wasn't exactly looking for it either. I'm not big on any blur effects. I always turn off motion blur in games (at least TR doesn't have that effect), shit makes me sick and why blur up the pretty graphics?

My damn game keeps crashing everytime I play, happens at least within 20 minutes of playing. I have been going crazy adjusting my PC settings and finally googled to see if it's something about the game. Turns out a lot of people are having issues with this game and tesselation. I haven't tried it for myself yet, going to now. Let's see if that is the culprit. People are blaming drivers, but complainyd are not consistent. Some people with Nvidia cards are gaming fine, but a lot are definitely experiencing issues.

If you have a Nvidia card, just disable Tesselation, there's a bug in there in the drivers surely because AMD don't have trouble. It affect mostly SLI users..

Getting 50-60 FPS with a Titan at 2560x1600. I have tressFX turned off though, seems buggy. 30 FPS locked (usually) with 4xSSAA on

cmm.png

Qlm.png

Last edited:
failed to initialize direct 3d with my settings? anybody getting this?

uncheck exclusive fullscreen for failed to initiate d3d

im done for the night, hopefully a fix for this nvidia crazy crash will come out soon.
08F167438BE5B3A54ED329FB9DE3B1F6E065DEA9

Couldn't screencap for some reason but I got something like:

Min: 17
Max: 42
Average: 36

1920x1080, everything maxed out with FXAA, including TressFX. Using 314.07 drivers, will try 314.14 or whatever tomorrow.

Also, whoever was noticing that the hair "hovers" above her shoulders...YES, it looks REALLY fucking weird. They need to fix that.

That was me, and yes it was EASILY noticeable in the videos, that was the first thing that jumped out at me, rather then "that looks awesome" I saw the hair on her shoulder sitting a few inches above it and bending over it like there was some invisible force field it was on.

Don't know how they didn't notice that while making the game.

Anybody know what the optional movies are? I'm assuming their full hi-res movies??? rather than the standard def that usually ship with the console ports....

at 2560x1440 i am getting a steady 60fps. nothing below 58 fps.

the only thing turned down is depth of field, AA is off, no tressfx or tesselation. runs hella smooth looks beautiful. and so far is fun :))

excited for this one. its already better then crysis 3 haha

For anyone that has played, are you guys using kb/m or a controller? I generally prefer a controller for a 3rd person game like this, but it also looks like there's a decent amount of aiming. Just curious as to what others are finding better.

what the hell is the difference between Fullscreen and Exclusive Fullscreen?...my game doesn't load with a Direct3D error every time I try and launch with 'Exclusive Fullscreen' enabled

interesting to see SSAA...I don't remember seeing that AA version in awhile, it's usually MSAA

Last edited:
Does Adaptive Vsync work for anyone? I have it forced in the NVCP like normal, but I'm still getting 60+ FPS in game.

2560x1440 / GTX680 w/ 314.14 driver / GPU Clock 1200Mhz, Memclock 3400Mhz

55-60FPS with TressFX enabled
115-120FPS with TressFX disabled

I guess TressFX is staying off :) Worth noting: I bumped textures from Normal -> High -> Ultra and saw no dip in FPS moving to High or Ultra, so Ultra it stays.

Last edited:
2560x1440 / GTX680 w/ 314.14 driver / GPU Clock 1200Mhz, Memclock 3400Mhz

55-60FPS with TressFX enabled
115-120FPS with TressFX disabled

I guess TressFX is staying off :) Worth noting: I bumped textures from Normal -> High -> Ultra and saw no dip in FPS moving to High or Ultra, so Ultra it stays.

A 50% drop using TressFX?

the game keeps reverting back to FXAA from SSAA every time I exit and re-enter the game...anyone else getting this?

and for the very first time in my PC gaming lifetime I could not complete a part of the game using KB/M...and I never have an issue with KB/M in any game (even games people said were unplayable with KB/M such as Dark Souls)...but early in Tomb Raider there is a section where you need to mash the right and left button to climb up a rock wall...damn that shit was impossible using the KB/M...I tried literally everything (including changing the difficulty level and graphics options)...as soon as I switched to my Xbox controller (for that 1 part only) it was easy

the game runs fine with my GTX 580 but something feels weird...Fraps tells me I'm getting 50+ fps using 4x SSAA + TressFX and everything else maxed out but something doesn't feel right...the game needs a patch or 2 plus new Nvidia specific drivers

I'm getting all sorts of slow down, even on normal settings. I think it's probably a vram limitation; I kind of wish I held out for the 4 gb GTX 670's, especially with my triple HP ZR2740w monitor setup.

I was getting around 40'ish fps with Tressfx on my GTX 580, however I turned it off, not only did the way the hair not "touch" her shouldres bug me (it just looks so weird) but it gave me a huge fps boost, now I'm sticking to 60 fps solid for the most part and it feels smooth.

Her non tressfx hair still uses physics but it works as one ponytail rather then having it untied and each individual hair moving around.

GTX 680, everything maxed...

I am amazed at this game, never have I seen something so "fake" look so real...

These graphics and the acting, story wow...been a long long long time since i've been this awe struck by a freaking video game.

graphics are good but not Crysis 3 levels...story is definitely well done...mashup of Uncharted and Far Cry 3

I have to say the graphics are very very nice, especially the lighting (when you are going through the tunnels and get to the water, the way the water reflects light onto Lara, excellent use of lighting).

However for me one of the things that really jumps out as far as "details" go is the animation, mainly how they constantly have her animations switching and not just looking the same over and over, idle animations, the way she moves around, it just looks soooooo much more natural and less "Robotic" then a lot of games, even Assassins creed which is some superb animations.

Running with TresFX on, and tessellation off. Also have FXAA enabled. Game hovers around 60 fps most of the time without vsync. The Exclusive Full Screen is required to run Stereo 3D. Game looks amazing in Stereo 3D but runs at 35 fps for me so I had to turn it off.

Overall very happy with the game. Disabling tessellation only really impacts the characters but not really the environment for the most part. Lara's tits get some odd polygons with tessellation off. Maybe nVidia can fix the crash. Also if you guys are up for it, reverting to 310.90 will ensure that tessellation works but you may see performance hit in other games (e.g., Crysis 3). So I am keeping Tessellation off for now.

Great game and a solid 9/10 thus far.

the graphics definitely remind me of Assassin's Creed 3...textures aren't always the best but the lighting is definitely the highlight so far...TressFX makes hair look the most realistic in any video game but there are some issues with the way it interacts with her body (the ponytail never seems to touch her body)...overall the game does a lot of things very well graphically but not the best in class...I'm enjoying the gritty, survivalist Tara...so far the reboot is working

Game looks amazing and nearly 60 fps. But it's crashing so can't wait for a patch! Oh and 3D looks sick!

Game looks amazing and nearly 60 fps. But it's crashing so can't wait for a patch! Oh and 3D looks sick!

I had crashing but turning off the exclusive fullscreen option stopped it.

Though I believe someone said that was needed for 3d.

The fell of the start of the game remind me of the movie The Descent..

Like it so far, 30% in and been playing with a vpn most day. I read on the net some dude finishing it in like 6 hours, well iam glad I sucks at video games loll it will be a 12h game for me for sure.

Bow kill feel great too especially with upgrades. Almost legolas level lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Don't have time to play a lot this morning but the 45-ish minutes I played I'm enjoying it. Well, except that stupid QTE in that first cave. I kept waiting for it to flash the correct key to press in the circle where your eyes would naturally focus during such an event instead of at the very bottom of the screen. The TressFX stuff is both neat and silly at the same time. The hair physics are kind of crazy at some points, but it is neat.

It is a lot less than what people were thinking though so I am glad that is not all that much considering a lot of developers might take advantage of this tech unlike Physx.

Heres the difference though: TressFX can be used only for hair. PhysX can be used for everything. And as we just found out: Simulating thousands of strands of hair is REALLY expensive to do.

I'm running everything as high as possible, including tesselation, but no TressFX, and DoF at normal, FXAA of course. Smooth as butter. Also using 310 WHQL drivers still. Any updates in the newer drivers for this game?

In my opinion, this game shits all over Far Cry 3 in the first 10 f'n minutes.

Only nit-pick so far, but when you're running at the beginning and w/e the fuck is trying to grab you that causes you to have to do the left/right QTE, followed by the circle that closes into a red dot, WHAT ON EARTH are you supposed to do? I died 5 times in a row and gave up, going to work.

Only nit-pick so far, but when you're running at the beginning and w/e the fuck is trying to grab you that causes you to have to do the left/right QTE, followed by the circle that closes into a red dot, WHAT ON EARTH are you supposed to do? I died 5 times in a row and gave up, going to work.

after mashing left/right you then hit the key that you have 'Melee' binded to when the signal appears

Back