Tomb Raider Reboot First Official Trailer

monkeymagick

[H]News
Warner Bros. Pictures released the first official trailer for the new Tomb Raider reboot. Taking over Angelina Jolie's role as Lara Croft is new comer Alicia Vikander. The production budget looks significantly less than the previous movies, but decent enough for a boring Friday night movie.

Check out the trailer.

The film's production begins on the heels of the 20th anniversary of the wildly popular videogame franchise from Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal.

Another generic noisy action movie. What made Tomb Raider so great was the quiet mystery and atmosphere. The music! Those little oboe bits. I know you can't exactly make a movie like that, but still . . . this ain't Tomb Raider.

Another generic noisy action movie. What made Tomb Raider so great was the quiet mystery and atmosphere. The music! Those little oboe bits. I know you can't exactly make a movie like that, but still . . . this ain't Tomb Raider.

It actually looks pretty darn close to the two most recent games which are definitely on the action side of things. I'm surprised they actually seemed to have used both of them for some source material in this movie. Sure it ain't the original Tomb Raider but I liked the two recent games and this looks like it will be a decent action flick based on those.

Although, it remains to be seen how good it will be given how I thought the Assassins Creed trailer looked good too (and had a great actor in the lead like this movie does) and well that didn't turn out great....

It actually looks pretty darn close to the two most recent games which are definitely on the action side of things. I'm surprised they actually seemed to have used both of them for some source material in this movie. Sure it ain't the original Tomb Raider but I liked the two recent games and this looks like it will be a decent action flick based on those.

Although, it remains to be seen how good it will be given how I thought the Assassins Creed trailer looked good too (and had a great actor in the lead like this movie does) and well that didn't turn out great....
I'll agree that it looks a lot like the recent games, but my heart will always lie with the original games.

The best Tomb Raider movie was called Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Definitely agree with that.

Really torn on the actress and overall movie, could be good or blah. Assassins Creed was actually damn good, watch it again. Not so much for the plot, but the effects were impressive!

The trailer didn't turn me off of the movie, but it didn't win me over either. I will wait for the final marketing push next year before I make up my mind.

Sigh this looks and feels like every generic action movie, especially those based on a game. Thankfully for Hollywood the Tomb Raider franchise follows their current model: cute young girl, hollow story (you're the only one that can save the world!), weak characters, lots of guns, lots of explosions, etc...
Rinse, repeat. 20 something's are too stupid to realize they're watching the same whore in a different skirt.

Everyone seems so damn "Siskel and Ebert" about movies these days. Have people forgotten how to simply enjoy things?

Like I said... how many times do you see the same formula with different actors? A LOT! So how many times have you seen the same movie with the same plot, the same cheesy script/music/etc before it gets tired and everyone else gets tired of it?

I played both the new games and liked them but this movie looks like a watered down version of the games. If they had remade the first rebooted game as a movie that would be interesting.

Like I said... how many times do you see the same formula with different actors? A LOT! So how many times have you seen the same movie with the same plot, the same cheesy script/music/etc before it gets tired and everyone else gets tired of it?

This is why I dont watch many movies anymore...its all the same BS over and over. Same goes for TV shows. Over half of them I can sit there and go:

"And hes sleeping with her. And she will die this episdoe, Don't worry next episode they will introduce XYZ that will alter the plot line. " etc etc and be right.

That's great and all, but get back to me after you've actually SEEN the movie.

Someone's pretty jaded. I'm nearing 50 and am glad I haven't even come close to reaching your level of cynicism yet. The movie (to me) looks like it has potential. Not definitely, but possibly. I'll wait for more trailers.

Looks like this movie is going to be the victim of a PG-13 rating like Assassin's Creed, even though the game it's based on is rated M. What a shame. Would have liked to see the cult and all the ruthless violence from the game done on film.
Another movie with overuse of bass resonance. Great.
They only do that in trailers, thankfully, but I have no idea why. It's annoying as fuck.

Someone's pretty jaded. I'm nearing 50 and am glad I haven't even come close to reaching your level of cynicism yet. The movie (to me) looks like it has potential. Not definitely, but possibly. I'll wait for more trailers.

Exactly. People simply just don't know how to have fun anymore. I wonder if all of these "critics" enjoy music? Probably not, we all know that chord progression has happened a thousand times over, and we've heard that song before.

Sigh this looks and feels like every generic action movie, especially those based on a game. Thankfully for Hollywood the Tomb Raider franchise follows their current model: cute young girl, hollow story (you're the only one that can save the world!), weak characters, lots of guns, lots of explosions, etc...
Rinse, repeat. 20 something's are too stupid to realize they're watching the same whore in a different skirt.

And smaller boobs. :D:D

It's nice when a movie or show breaks new ground but that is risky. Seems like you want to watch Mother which as you can see is doing brilliantly at the box office. I just want to be entertained and not worry about bills or my job for 90 mins.

oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png

Really torn on the actress and overall movie, could be good or blah. Assassins Creed was actually damn good, watch it again. Not so much for the plot, but the effects were impressive!

Little bit of trivia, Tomb Raider Vikander has been dating Assassin's Creed Fassbender for years.

Vikander was also Ava the sexy killer robot in Ex Machina, a CIA agent in Jason Bourne, and won a supporting Oscar for that flick about the dude what got his dude bits removed just for fun, but died in the process. You know, the one nobody watched.

Exactly. People simply just don't know how to have fun anymore. I wonder if all of these "critics" enjoy music? Probably not, we all know that chord progression has happened a thousand times over, and we've heard that song before.

And maybe some of us dont like music because its annoying....not everyone has the same tastes you do.

I saw yours but I am pointing out that my opinion isnt lumped in with the others. I have my own reasons.

Also I dont go to parties. I hate the noise and the crowds.

I'm going to have a small viewing party when this movie comes out for rental, and you're invited. While we're waiting for everyone to show up, I'll let you hit shuffle on my jukebox.

Looks decent, however I am real sick and tired of them re-booting every damn movie.

I honestly think the industry has run out of new ideas.
Oh well you get over it LoL I'm going watch it any way.

Hey it isnt the industry fault for not having new ideas, it is everyones else fault for not creating new products and ideas for the movie industry to use.

Little bit of trivia, Tomb Raider Vikander has been dating Assassin's Creed Fassbender for years.

Vikander was also Ava the sexy killer robot in Ex Machina, a CIA agent in Jason Bourne, and won a supporting Oscar for that flick about the dude what got his dude bits removed just for fun, but died in the process. You know, the one nobody watched.
and the "Man from Uncle" remake...

and the "Man from Uncle" remake...

I figured the dozen films she was in that nobody saw that didn't win any awards could just be left out.

And Man from Uncle falls squarely in that latter category.

I actually liked Man from Uncle, partially because of Vikander's character. It was a fun movie even if it was a remake (of a now old property). One of the few that semi sticks out in my mind of current movies after more than a year. Most are worse remakes, reimaginings, reboots and other travesties that if I do bother to see, I forget about within a month or two. Hollywood is so risk averse (and catering to the lowest common denominator to maximize profit while they decry capitalism in public) they are almost as bad as sitcoms have been for 20+ years.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
I like Vikander and she always does a good job and will probably be great in this movie as well (script aside), however I would probably have liked Rebecca Ferguson as Lara better (Ilsa Faust in latest MI).

/Q

I'm on the fence. But super excited to see that Daniel Wu and Daniel Frost (both currently in Into the Baldands) are in it. I'm assuming the movie will have some impressive stunts, then.

Looks like the newer games. More straight up action than the Indiana Jones'ish ones. Then again, they were pretty bad movies and I'm even an Angelina fan. This seems like a vastly better movie, but a bit more cookie cutter.

Back