Tomb Raider Finally Hits Profitability

It did "badly" because it is Tomb Raider with a massive budget. Tomb Raider may hold a special place in some people's hearts, but they were never great games. The last couple have been the best, TBH.
The first couple of Tomb Raider games were INCREDIBLE within the context of their time. I daresay magical.

Well if the next one follows this game in terms of design and gameplay, and fixes some of the failures like the other voice actors, the script, make the puzzles a little more complex and rewarding, make the qte interesting and not a pain. Then they'll probably get a lot of sales at the 60 dollar price point, I only paid 10 bucks for the game because tomb raider doesn't have a great reputation. But they've redeemed themselves and made something great. Oh, and don't both with multiplayer. I'm sick of every developer forcing multiplayer into their games. A great single player experience doesn't need it, make the discovery, difficultyz and upgrade systems phenomenal and add a new game plus option to the game and I'll gladly hand over 50 bucks on steam upon release.

That's not how your other posts came out. You were bashing Tomb Raider for QTEs and quoted as saying that even if there is 1 QTE, the game doesn't get your money.

Have you played Tomb Raider or are you just here to crap on a thread about a game that you don't like without even playing it and thinking that it has a case of QTE's as core gameplay (what an uninformed viewpoint I must add if that is the case)?

Post 1

If I wanted QTE's I'd play guitar hero or parappa the rapper.

Since I don't want QTE I refuse to buy a game that has them.

Not sure why so many games use them as I think its pretty unanimously hated.

Post 2
Yes but as a ferocious hater of QTE if a game has it I don't pay money for it simple as that.

Put in QTE don't get my money. Even 1 QTE is 1 too many unless it is for comedic purpose like press X to bang the hooker in something like GTA.

Post 3

You misunderstood my point and focused too much on my example. I'm fine with QTE as long as they are not part of the core game and are only used for idiotic and pointless parts of the game.....because QTE's are in themselves idiotic, childish, and pointless thus should only be used for idiotic, childish, and pointless parts of a game....Like banging a hooker till she catches a case of babies.

Asura's Wrath is a perfect example of a game that uses QTE as part of its core mechanics...and it ruins that game. A game like Shadow of the colossus is a far superior game because it uses actual gameplay instead of QTE.

I bash QTE's not Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider may very well be the best game this generation....but I'd never know because it has quick time events and I won't use my money to support anything associated with QTE. The only weapon I have to reduce the amount of QTE's being put in games is my wallet and I'm going to use that weapon.

Far cry 3 had a few of those QTE's. I don't care for that either.

All you guys talking about it doing "badly," It didn't do "Badly."

Square enix just had some ABSURD high expectations (5 million units in a month? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN unless you're GTA/COD).

and I quote, "29 March 2013, Crystal Dynamics defended Tomb Raider's sales, stating the reboot had the "most successful launch" of any game this year in addition to setting a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history"

It was a decent game with GREAT sales, but Square Enix wanted to blame it for doing badly.

either SE has idiots working for their sales/accounts departments or they blew an INSANE budget on the game without researching what the sales owuld likely be.

The Tomb Raider reboot was the only game I really enjoyed last year, sure I kept busy in Black Ops 2 and cranked hours in STO, but Tomb Raider 2013 was actually a good and fun game. It was just the right length, the collectibles were fun and informative about the story, the game play was responsive and fun (the bow, friggen epic) and the game was beautiful on everything from my GT555m to my GTX480 and then the GTX Titan.

The only thing I can fault the game for is a bad multiplayer which I couldn't connect to the first few months and that instead of releasing DLC for single player content, they just kept adding more multiplayer content WHICH HAS NEVER EVER EVER BEEN THE FRANCHISES STRONG POINT. I accept the short cut DLC, but why on earth we didn't see any more single player story added, maybe a challenge mode I have no clue. I did buy the game at full price and later bought every single piece of DLC for the game to show my support.

Again, fantastic game, bad multiplayer and pointless DLC that didn't play to the strength of the title. Really sad thing is that unless you preordered the game or bought the Lost Explorer DLC (which was 1 side quest) you couldn't get 100%, which I also thought was a bit low ball.

I like the occasional QTE. I wouldn't want a game of nothing but that (although Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc get a pass) but I don't understand the hatred for them. I'm guessing people that cry about them also get their panties in a wad when a game is perceived is "too linear".

Pro tip: just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. Maybe someone else likes it. Get over yourself.

I hope they make some profit. I'd rather they continue their efforts rather than just give up and try a multiplayer only military shooter or a pay to win MMO.

I just finished the game and I enjoyed it. Enough so that I'll be sure to buy the next one. Not to many games give you the feeling that you'd wish it would keep going. It has a good mix of game play that it's worth the money. Not enough of these type of games are being made anymore.

Pretty sure I paid around $15 for every single Tomb Raider made on PC during a Steam sale, still have to try it.
Should try it out if its as good as I've read.

The more recent Tomb Raider game is the only one in the series I ever liked. With the exception of the pointless quicktime events (all QTE need to burn) the gameplay is really tight and fun. The graphics are fantastic too. Shame about the bloated budget. I'd definitely buy a sequel if they make one (for PC).

I thought this game sold fairly well? It must have cost a metric buttload to make.

Yes, it sold really well. And yes it became a victim of too bloated production and marketing costs.

I'm glad the game is finally making profit. It was good outside of few "press X to not die" QTE crap which we should get rid of fast.

I got Tomb Raider (and Bioshock: Infinite) bundled with my Radeon HD 7850, and I thought both were solid 8/10 games. In Tomb Raider's case, I liked how the gameplay was connected to the environment (e.g. your climbing axe, rope arrows, etc.) Graphically, TressFX was very nice. As for QTEs, the only one I didn't like was that one (hint: water).

How much did they have to lay out for TressFX? Or did AMD give them money to do it? How does one calculate the revenue lost to those in camp Nvidia by marketing a feature that wont work great on over half of the discrete card install base.

Gamers are getting pretty spoiled. This was an excellent game. The QTE's helped with the storyline. The TressFX was fine, not game changing, but I liked it. If you aren't an elitist gamer-reviewer wanna-be it was a fun experience.

How much did they have to lay out for TressFX? Or did AMD give them money to do it? How does one calculate the revenue lost to those in camp Nvidia by marketing a feature that wont work great on over half of the discrete card install base.

IIRC, Nvidia released a few driver updates that improved the TressFX performance on their cards quite a bit..Still not to AMD's levels, but at least AMD ALLOWED IT TO WORK on Nvidia's cards...If it were the other way around you would not see that happening (Physx, G-Snyc etc)..

Back