Tomb Raider - Crash fix

Shantarr.Dalrae

[H]ard|Gawd
Disable Tessellation.

I know this is in the main thread but I broke it out to save everyone the pain I just went though!

Are you using Nvidia 600 series? A lot of players report the same problem..

I can't even get into the game. It crashes when I click play or hit options.

I can't even get into the game. It crashes when I click play or hit options.

I had the same problem as you, turns out the game's .reg file is broken for some people upon installation.

Go here and follow the directions under option 4 to fix it.

Hope you get it working cause this game is awesome!

This game is absolutely excellent but despite having the hardware to run at maximum settings at 1920x1200, 2xSSAA, 16xAF with tessellation, High Precision and TressFX on (the benchmark returned at ave. of 50 fps), I had two total system freezes that required a hard reset at the point where Lara leaves the cave after the opening section. I fixed it by disabling tessellation. These freezes occurred with both the v314.07 WHQL and v314.14 beta drivers.

Someone on another forum suggested using the Hitman: Absolution DX1x SLI flag and, sure enough, I was able to play the game for almost an hour with tessellation but it eventually froze my system again... sadly. Looks like I'll have to either wait until it is patched or play the game without tessellation. I'll wait as I bought this game to play it with all the eye candy on, not have to compromise the settings because of sloppy coding/bad drivers.

I didn't buy it but one of my friends (with GTX 680) got it from steam, it wasn't working for him so I did a quick search and told him to disable Exclusive Fullscreen and it worked fine.

Worked fine on my main rig. On my laptop it kept crashing. I turned off 'exclusive full screen' in the options and it fixed it on my lappy. Hope that helps some folks...

/edit - whoops, Firas beat me to it...

Are you using Nvidia 600 series? A lot of players report the same problem..

EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2 OC

Though, many owners for gfx cards in both camps (across generations of cards) are reporting the issue.

I was crashing every 5-7m with tesselation on, down to never once in a 3 hour play session with is disabled.

I also had exclusive Full Screen disabled, as having it on would not allow me to stream the game at all. This all aside, the game is great so far!

Also, thank you to everyone who posted additional fixes!

Turn off: vsync, turn off tesselation, exclusive widescreen and that seems to be the magic combo from the consensus.

I was having a regular crash issue myself and tesselation was the one thing I had left on. I turned it off and now everything seems fine.

According to information passed on by a moderator in NVIDIA's support forums, there is a fix coming for all the problems people are having with the new Tomb Raider game.

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

Also make sure you are using 314.14 driver for NV GPUs

some people have had more luck with the 310's. I don't think 314 offer anything for Tomb Raider anyways, according to what they said the code was last minute and on their site they tout other games but don't specifically state Tomb Raider.

..today’s driver ensures maximum system compatibility in games such as SimCity, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Resident Evil 6, and Hawken,

source - http://www./whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-14-beta-drivers-released

some people have had more luck with the 310's. I don't think 314 offer anything for Tomb Raider anyways, according to what they said the code was last minute and on their site they tout other games but don't specifically state Tomb Raider.

..today’s driver ensures maximum system compatibility in games such as SimCity, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Resident Evil 6, and Hawken,

source - http://www./whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-14-beta-drivers-released

I couldn't get SLI to work in Tomb Raider until I tried 314.14

I couldn't get SLI to work in Tomb Raider until I tried 314.14

Oh good, Resident Evil 6, a game that isn't coming out for 3 weeks, gets drivers, but Tomb Raider, which has been out, coming up on 2 days, has nothing.

Sense.

But thank god there's updates for RE6. Let's not forget SC2 Expac., that game's so fun.

game plays fine for me.

Amd 7950@ 1100core/1500 mem

1080P max settings 4xmsaa.

guess it's a geforce thing.

game plays fine for me.

377428_258027697581679_191785164205933_746366_614143733_n_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
game plays fine for me.

Thank you Sherlock for discovering this issue only affects GeForce owners. What are the odds that this only happens to hardware from a competitor of AMD, who as a result of the Gaming Evolved program, had proprietary involvement with Crystal Dynamics to the exclusion of nVidia.

I don't excuse either of the companies doing this, as the nVidia TWIMTBP program is also a pile of shit that usually results in a poor launch experience for Radeon users, as [H] has noted in the past.

game plays fine for me.

Lucky!

7970 owners on steam forums were the ones that told me about the tess disable fix, since they were having it crash even more often than me.

I agree!

It's an impressive new feature, even more so that it is completely supported by both camps!

Oh good, Resident Evil 6, a game that isn't coming out for 3 weeks, gets drivers, but Tomb Raider, which has been out, coming up on 2 days, has nothing.

Sense.

But thank god there's updates for RE6. Let's not forget SC2 Expac., that game's so fun.

Just in case you missed it...

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

the game runs pretty good for me on a 680 classified, the rig in my sig. And I'm running 310.90 WHQL's. Really playable at ultra settings with TressFX off, 30+ fps, stays at 60fps vsync limit quite a lot. Average 55~fps

With TressFX on it is still really playable, avg around 42fps, with dips into the low 20's. Mostly only in cutscenes with closeups of Lara's hair.

So ATI owners running this game has no issues? I wanted to get this game but I heard its currently running like shit on NVIDIA cards with constant crashing and performance issues, I'll wait until NVIDIA fixes this with a later driver.

Back